Personal View site logo
Official Low GOP topic, series 3
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • I am using driftwood's AQuarius version 2 hack without changing any of the settings. 1080 24p at 170Mbps AQ3 GOP 1 looks fantastic but 1080 60i at 124Mbps AQ3 GOP 1 looks terrible, much worse than without the hack. I took a sample video and have attached some snapshots. The first photo is taken using 1080 60i without the hack at 17Mbps. The second photo is taken with the hack using 1080 60i at 124Mbps AQ3 GOP 1. For reference I have attached a third photo taken using 1080 24p at 170Mbps AQ3 GOP 1.

I viewed all three's video information in MediaInfo. The first video taken at 1080 60i without hack has a bitrate of 16.6Mbps. The second video taken at 1080 60i with the hack has a bitrate of 63.2Mpbs. The third video taken at 1080 24p with the hack has a bitrate of 150Mbps.

What are best settings in order to obtain maximum image quality in 1080 60i?
    vlcsnap-2011-11-10-07h14m16s215.png
    1920 x 1080 - 5M
    vlcsnap-2011-11-10-07h15m07s245.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    vlcsnap-2011-11-10-07h15m25s177.png
    1920 x 1080 - 5M
  • I am a noob and afraid I am getting lost in the details by the various driftwood 170+ mb gop 1 patches. I used gopstoppa and think the results are incredible. Thank you driftwood for your amazing work. I am now looking to upgrade and am not sure the difference between AQuarius ver 2 and reAQuainted patches.
  • Just one more day to go to get your 10 second clip into the INTRA showreel. See http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1268/gh2-intra-demo-its-collaboration-time/p1 if you are interested.
  • wishing we had AQuarius last weekend for the shoot loving the new ISO ranges thanks Vitaliy
  • @bkmcwd, is possible for you put your patches in one place? You have a 88m patch that I am looking for can't find.
  • Since Q12 version was improved, although there is no telling whether it is helpful to someone, I stick this patch.
    I think that even Q14-16 is convenient as I stated above.

NOTE:
    The first screen shot is the wrong and the 2nd is right.
    setd.zip
    626B
    newq12_lr.JPG
    1296 x 634 - 194K
    new_176M_3GOP_Q12_lr.JPG
    1297 x 632 - 192K
  • @driftwood:

I have a disk write problem with 720p 50fps with your AQuarius version 1.

Recording stops after 1.30 min. Tried it with both kit lens and Canon FD @ ISO 3200 and 5000. I have a newly formatted 16GB Sandisk Extreme 30MBs card.

Shutter: 100.
    Ap: 3.5

Does anyone else run into this.

24p works great though!
  • Just stepped into the hack world.
    Waiting for my sandisk extreme card to put something more intense than the driftwood 132mo GOP3, but big thanks already for your work.

Tested sames shots in low light and iso 500 and 3200 with old firmware and hack. The noise quality did not strike me, I can see sligther definition increase. Though I did not anticipate so much difference concerning the mouvement. It seems so much more stable, natural, don't know how to say but it striked my wife who don't know shit about those things.

Thx to u all.
  • testing out Sir @driftwood AQuarius 3.63 latest and loving it! Problem is, it's not playing smoothly on VLC on my mac but plays find in FCP. Anyone encounter that problem?
  • Thanks, the chair looks normal. It does appear if your intention was to have the chair in focus (1st image), focus was actually behind the chair. You can see this on the floor behind the chair. Also, it certainly appears you were using a fairly low f-stop since the DOF looks fairly tight considering the field of view. I'm not sure where focus was on your last chair shot; although it appears it may of been just short in front of the chair.

What lens was this?
    Thanks for sharing!

• @Hallvalla
    Cheers! You already did what I planned to do. :)
  • @proaudio4 Sorry I didnt realize I could do a "snapshot" in VLC player... I can barely even BELIEVE these are video stills....

@driftwood thx Ill try that.thank you sir! Your patches are the dopesauce!
    vlcsnap-2011-11-08-12h53m29s22.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    vlcsnap-2011-11-08-12h52m50s142.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    vlcsnap-2011-11-08-12h51m34s148.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
  • Added the MPEG 2 FPS Timelapse settings to Driftwood's latest:

Timelapse discussion: http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/595/mjpeg-fps-setting-for-timelapse-on-gh2#Item_32
    sete.ini.zip
  • @No_SuRReNDeR Change the chair! ;-)

No seriously, if its finding problems with a particular object such as your chair, do this.
    Take 10000 off the 1080p frame limit at a time until it records without frame dropping/card stops. Then check the picture and let me know. This will show you what your card can handle and if youre happy with the picture - leave it there. Sorted.
    Alternatively, try the Aquamotion patch at 100M.
  • Thanks.. It's still a jpeg (not png). ;)
    Why don't you just attach the image (screen captured and saved to .png) and a download so we can actually see the full size.png file. This is what I did when I wanted everyone to check out an image:
    For example: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/23545#Comment_23545

That chair's mesh is easy to render, there's not much detail in it. What are we supposed to be concerned with?
    The Stray chroma graph charts we shoot have FAR smaller cross patterns that show no issue.
  • Well proaudio is right (if we're just talking of a bitrate drop and not a camera crash), a different card won't change anything in the behavior of the (variable bitrate!) codec in the exact same situation : you'll never have a constant max bitrate.
  • Oh sorry hows this?.... A still from the footage.... The chairs have a crazy mesh in them I think it must be tough on the codec...that's all I am saying.image

Id upload the raw mts footage but I don't have a vimeo plus account yet...

I really like this patch....
    Chairbig.JPG
    1109 x 613 - 101K
  • @No_SuRReNDeR

The image is too small. Was there a reason you posted this so small? Could you actually upload something larger, like original size. Also save the file in .png, recompressed small jpegs offer nothing over the original.
    I'm not sure what we're supposed to see here?
    Also, explain to us what you are seeing.
  • @proaudio4 I have to show you the chairs and you will understand......image

I don't think the UHS-I cards can write fast enough for these high end patches. I have no trouble with lower bitrate ones like 44MB patch...But yeah -lets not get into the memory card thing-
    Chair.JPG
    1273 x 664 - 186K
    Chairs.JPG
    401 x 268 - 30K
  • @driftwood "*** NEW *** AQuarius version 2 for ptools 3.63d edition"

Just loaded and tested. It looks really good man.
    The shadow detail is amazing.
  • How could a 45mbps card crash before a 30mbps card? Are they both different brands?
  • @No_SuRReNDeR
    What do you mean by: "...had some trouble with the chairs in my office..."

When you panned across the overexposed white, the i-frame size drop is normal.
    This is due to the variable bitrate with AVCHD-the lower the detail, the less bandwidth required to render the image.
    It would of been interesting if you displayed the video frame in Streamparser preview at the point it drops its lowest.

If it's crashing, that's another story. We don't want to get into SDHC card differences on this thread.

• AQuarius version 2 tested...had some trouble with the chairs in my office... but over all looks pretty good. I am waiting on some 16gb 30mb extreme cards but for now Im stuck with the 45mb extreme pro which may explain the crashiness...I hit an overexposed whiteboard and the bitrate dropped...

24h smooth -2 all... 20mm pancake...hand held. Will upload the video or a shorter clip when I get a chance...

AQuarius version 2.JPG
    1283 x 675 - 181K
  • Sorry for that stupid question, just had to double click on the letter to get it loaded... ha. Thanks again for your awesome work!
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions