Personal View site logo
It's Official: Firmware Update for DMC-GH2 / G3 / GF3 / GF2 coming
  • 372 Replies sorted by
  • Large delay and shifted release date most probably mean more changes.
    Otherwise I don't see any reason for this.
  • Awesome! Behold the GH2 of the future!
    Improved firmware v1.1 converts faux metal body to Unobtainium!
  • Peaking!!!!

We know GX1 won't compete with NEX-7. GH3 is far away. Panasonic gotta revamp GH2. But NEX-7 release was delayed due to the flooding. Hopefully Panasonic fixes more bugs and adds a lot more features.
  • Let's not speculate too much; the release date was just a rumour anyway. Software development isn't exactly reputable for delivering to schedule either...
  • @Ptchaw I think that VK was in the know for this one... so hopefully this will be a really great Christmas! (lets just hope we don't need to wait that long to see it!)
  • No mention of 25p :-(
    -----------

Panasonic Press Release

Panasonic Announces the Firmware Update Program for DMC-GH2 and PHOTOfunSTUDIO 6.0 BD Edition

Panasonic announces the new firmware update program for the digital interchangeable lens system cameras DMC-GH2 of LUMIX G Micro System and for the GH2 bundled software PHOTOfunSTUDIO 6.0 BD Edition.

The new firmware programs will be available worldwide from the beginning of December at http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/.

The following functions will be available with the new firmware:

For DMC-GH2
    • New video mode which is suitable for editing video recorded at high bit rate (24Mbps)
    • New functional option with Power Zoom Lens ([DISP FOCAL LENGTH (Display of Focal Length)], [STEP ZOOM], [ZOOM RESUME], [ZOOM SPEED] and [ZOOM RING *])
    • Full area enlargement of AF area setting
    • Improvement in the speed of consecutive shooting when shot with auto bracket
    • Increased number of recordable images in consecutive shooting
    • [EX.TELE CONV. (Extra Tele Conversion)] can be set ON/OFF separately in photo or video recording
    • More accurate light adjustment of built-in flash
    • Improvement in the AF performance in video recording
    • Synchronization of alarm volume for low battery with [BEEP VOLUME]
    • New [HALF-PRESS RELEASE] function
    • Improved NR(Noise Reduction) in high sensitivity shooting
    • ON/OFF control of the touch-screen

For PHOTOfunSTUDIO 6.0 BD Edition
    • Compatible with new video mode added with the GH2 firmware update mentioned above
    * Available with LUMIX G X VARIO PZ 45-175mm / F4.0-5.6 ASPH. / POWER O.I.S. only.
  • @thudb

Also no mention of HDMI! (grumble) Either its there and not discussed (Panny never said their HDMI was 'screwed' in the first place so why now say that its fixed when it 'is') or its there as an Easter Egg for VK! (lets hope it doesn't take till Easter to get this FW!) ;-P

Alex

PS: New video mode? 24Mbps? Are they joking?
  • Panasonic always had been "good" with announcments and features list.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev What do you mean by "good"? ;)
    @thudb No mention of 25p, but perhaps the 'new video mode' has something to do with it...
  • We all know what this list should read in a post Scarlet world...
    (Even without nutcase ideas they should 'open up' this camera)

Looks like once again Panny is missing the point.
  • At least it should include MJPEG 4Mp mode :-)
  • Btw, looking at GX1 specs, under "New video mode which is suitable for editing video recorded at high bit rate " they mean videos in MP4 container, most probably including 25p.
  • Do we have an idea how many engineers work on the hardware/firmware for the GH-3? They do nice work for an inexpensive camera. Just wondering if its 10 guys or a 100?
  • Vitaliy, do you think the gh2's processing power would make it possible, in theory, to record at 2,35 aspect ratio with same 2mp resolution? - this would be something like 2208x939 pixels.
  • @fatpig

It is sensor mode and all other things that count.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev
    That MP4 still maxing out at 4gig? :-( But: YAY for 25p!
  • >Btw, looking at GX1 specs, under "New video mode which is suitable for editing video recorded at high bit rate " they mean videos in MP4 container, most probably including 25p.
    Ephotozine seems pretty sure about 25p, don't know from where they got the info :
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-gh2-firmware-updated-17773
  • @lenuisible

Ephotozine lists:
    25p mode
    New 24MBps bit rate
    Full area touch LCD
    Lumix X lens compatability

24MBps? or 24Mbps? Big difference!
  • I can't understand the improvements in 24mbits.. it already has p and b frames and an excellent iq/dimension ratio. I think that that 24MBit is an error, they would have written 192mbit (at least for a marketing reason).

@Vitaliy
    What do you think about an implementation of avchd 2.0? Is it possible?
  • @Vitaliy
    Btw, looking at GX1 specs, under "New video mode which is suitable for editing video recorded at high bit rate " they mean videos in MP4 container, most probably including 25p.

Do you have an early guess on how long it will take to hack the "new" video mode MP4 24 and 25fps and improve bitrate and other settings like AVCHD? and

What do you think of their use of the new video mode and using an MP4 ontainer?
  • @oscillian

Sorry but if you look at the info of the MTS file it is 50i (basically what we have now) not true 25p- also the reviewer even states that the video file they recorded was 1080i- its there in the beginning of the article:

"We recently spent an afternoon shooting with the new Panasonic GX1 compact system camera ahead of today's launch. There are 69 sample JPEG photos and a Full HD 1080i movie."

Hopefully it there is a '25p' in there somewhere- but the reviewer didn't use it!
  • @alcomposer

The file seems to be 50i, but its 25p wrapped in a 50i container, which is the same as the old gh1, shoots 25p into a 50i wrapper, and the reviewer used the AVCHD mode to shoot the video, not the new MP4 20mbps one.
    It's real 25p but not native 25p on the AVCHD mode.
  • Ok coolz... however the 50i container on the GH2 is not 25p wrapped in a 50i container... ;-D I suppose that this is where it gets confusing!
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions