Personal View site logo
Official Low GOP topic, series 2
  • 1022 Replies sorted by
  • @sohus Yes I have, and I've shot with it for a few days with no problem. I still haven't tried it at all at AQ4 though.

@bkmcwd Nice one, those graphs look good. I wish I could give it a go and shoot with it now, but can't really till I get all this work out of the way, or get a decent break. When I post here at the moment it's usually cause I have some rendering running in the background. I wouldn't worry about the result from the extreme test at all, it is unlikely to get near that sort of grief in real world shooting. In fact your moving through the trees footage is a lot more useful tbh.

My only concern is what looks like a flatline between frames 440 and 480, any ideas of the cause ? As for the T4 T1 thing @vitaliy said it would cure cadence problems, and thats pretty much all I know about it. But as I and @proaudio4 have noticed, on lower bitrates it can cause a large drop in frame sizes (and then continues in a stable fashion) a few seconds in. So, a few seconds in when used on lower bitrates it can drop its QP quite a lot, but with high bitrate patches 100M+ the T4 T1 shuffle doesn't seem to exhibit this drop. Have you tried your patch settings as they are now without it ?
  • @sohus I do have a nagging doubt though that it may be possible for the 66M max var on AQ3 to break the bitrate maximum resulting in frame rate oddness, if not cadence problems. Although I know I really meant to test that to make absolutely sure I can't remember if I have or not right now (not had much sleep)
  • Is there any way to combine these settings with say, CBrandin's or mpgxsvcd's stable settings on the "low" setting? That way we can retain spanning, autofocus, etc. and also have the option to use driftwood's settings when applicable.
  • @wigginjs Not really as the 24H and 24L share a lot of the same setting parameters, so that could (probably would) result in instability in the 24L. So the 24L has to be quite close to the bitrate of the 24H setting. You can pretty much combine it with much lower 1080i settings, as they have their own complete set of parameters.
  • Doing some tests right now with all the patches in my vault.

@Driftwood GOP3 AQ2 132M is not stable for me. It starts with 1.010.000 iframes and than drops to below 800.000 and stays there. iframes are the same size as b frames and not p frames in the stream.

@Driftwood GOP1 NOAQ 176M QUANT ME BABY. I noticed in my tests that 24H and 24L have the same effective bitrates and iframe sizes. 24L looks more stable to me as the extra bitrate in the H setting is apparently wasted.

@CBrandin 66M GOP12 AQ2 (and variations) is my favorite. Very stable and good frame sizes,stability and recording times.
  • @sohus I completely concur on that 176M setting, but thats an odd result from the 132M. Has the 132M been changed recently, as in is there more than one version of it uploaded ? I had no problems with it, but then again I haven't used it for weeks now and my testing regime has got a bit more serious since then. Actually IIRC @bkmcwd said he saw the 132M GOP3 behaving badly recently.
  • @Sohus 132M there were two versions. I'll take a look. Can you try out the two 176M GOP3s - I'd like to know your reaction. Thanks
  • @Driftwood, dear Nick like what promise i take a look of your last 720p50 GOP1 and is not fluid in orizzontal panning situations not only in cam lcd but also on mac in .mts or after converting in Prores.
    Now one old theory is that if display are 60hz., like Apple, can't reproduce fluid movements for 50fps. materials, or its wrong???
    PLS confirm me what's about this issue, tomorrow i'm in studio and can also test with HD 50hz. projector.
    Thx one more time.

For shure I will give a look on your last GOP3 patch too.
  • @Stray
    Thank you for commenting, although you are busy!

"looks like a flatline between frames 440 and 480"

Although I do not understand a reason, I think that it is the same as the flat line which has come out in the highest stress test.
    If it adjusts so that this may not come out, whenever it sets to the same level as AQ2 or it in 3GOP, condition that a write-in speed error will appear like my 176M AQ2 shown before.
    I think that this phenomenon will be unavoidable if the same level as AQ2 or it is used in 3GOP.

Although I had, of course, also tried simultaneously the setting which removed T4, I did not find a difference. :-(

I was able to test this setting only a few in the town of night today.
    About the degree of the frame size drop, if not bad, I feel.

154m3gopq12flx1tbx6.6T4_8.JPG
    1293 x 633 - 172K
  • @Stray Of course you can get higher i frames on a longer GOP. The fact that we did GOP1 was an achievement in itself because its currently very difficult to achieve that look without using high bitrate and limiting. The Q values in the GOP3 latest tests have been altered and I would love for you to run a few of your tests against your present GOP3 (or longer) and look at QP. If you havent time then fair enough. A new GOP1 is currently being prepared.
    The fact of the matter is for a lot of filming scenarious the current GOP1 and the latest GOP3 patches are more than adequate.
  • Some more observations:

@Driftwood GOP1 Quant Me Baby = slightly larger than stock settings max video frame size. In other words, with this codec you achieve the highest single frame of the stock codec continously. This is very good performance wise. And Max = AVG = MIN so the quality is good throughout the 24 frames per second. It shows.

@cbrandin 66M & 66M MAX VARIATION. They are very close in my test. I do believe that the MAX VARIATION patch is slightly more efficient and in very complex scenes can direct the bandwith to the right properties. You can't go wrong with either of these. I think these give max. performance for min. bitrate (66M) and both are very stable.

I do have problems with the FSH setting in this patch. Was it made for 50i or 60i? Is it possible to use a 720P setting from another patch and put it in there without negative affects on the 1080p settings?

Nick, I can look at your other patches. Which ones do you mean? The last two posted here?

Test results (I didn't test all my patches):
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuvH0y9LX_pkdFJHdnA2UnBnSEY2WlpSWVZjUGdVRHc&hl=en_GB
    (sheet TESTING SOHUS)

No graphs but easy to compare the numbers. I look at cadence so all of them passed, only the @Driftwood 132M did not show even cadence (started high, dropped, stayed there).
  • @sohus Brilliant and thanks mate. Yeah, the one from last night GOP3ILLA - the P frames versus B frames battle. It will be interesting to see how you find B frames comparing to P frames performance in motion and static.
  • @driftwood Yep I was just saying with a GOP3 for example that you should have much higher I-Frames and relatively smaller B-Frames to really take advantage of it being GOP 3, like the patch bkmcwd is working on. B-Frames can outstrip I-frames under heavy motion, but they really shouldn't on a deathchart test. The results of the GOP3 you've posted don't look good in comparison (I-frame size is too low), and the high B-frame size are worrying and wasteful (as in it may as well be a GOP1). I completely agree though that the GOP 1 is a massive achievement and I appreciate entirely its advantages when it comes to motion. But all of my tests lead me to conclude the sweet balance between image quality and motion rendering is going to be somewhere in a GOP 3 setup. I think bkmcwd is close to that at the moment, although it still has some stability problems. Maybe the stable frame sizes will fall some way between what you're achieving and his, though hopefully at a bitrate more around the 150M mark than the 170M.

Yeah, I cant check/test much right now. I'm stuck in a laborious loop of prepping footage interspersed with mind numbing manual creation of roto shapes in order to isolate elements within shots. Labour intensive not intellectually taxing work. You've altered the QP values since you've uploaded it ? Serioiusly, I'd rather be testing yours and bkmcwds patches and being on the tweak over doing what I'm doing now.

@bkmcwd Yeah, the T4 thing I think wouldn't solve the flatline, it was to solve the pulsing cadence issue IIRC. All I can think of is slightly pulling back the top/bottom settings a bit. I mean this 154M GOP3 is really, really close now.
  • @sohus yep, I've always had problems with the 1080i on those 66M settings, copying the settings for 1080i from the 44M AQ4 works though.
  • The 66M is not as good as Chris's 44M for stability all round.
  • @Stray The B frames or P frames wont be like that in most real-world conditions unless filming trees of death on a static. However, if you look at a normal recording using those two new patches - notice how the P and B frames sit into place!
    Its a test to see how well each performs against each other and to see how much I could push P/B frames close to an i frame with possibly getting better performance than GOP1 under similar conditions.
    And yes, bkmcwd's patch won't get better than those two tests in terms of bitrate once he gets it stable and tuned.
  • @Stray
    Thanks! I got it.
    Although it is a result at the time of lowlight that I am the most interested, since a result was not different in ON/OFF of T4, I do not care.

Since the value 154M was best balance with 3GOP in my having tried in the range out of which a card speed error does not come from 100M to 176M, I chose.
    Since according to my feeling writing stopped when the Average Video Bitrate exceeded 150, I took care so that this might not be exceeded.
  • @all
    I tested all the settings lowGOP
    Result:still the best patch is with 44MBit by CBrandin's GOP 12
    - so far are all lowGOP settings for me in practice not applicable
    Stutter, stuttering, smearing, and more are the results of LowGOP
    The best and cleanest image = CBrandin 44MBit GOP12 - all other settings were lost time
  • I forgot to attach the graph in my earlier post.
    driftwood_132M_gop3_unstable.PNG
    1182 x 218 - 14K
  • @sohus not true, the max sustainable at 24P is over 1,000,000, I've had that often shooting with the 66M AQ2 for 2 minute long shots. I've even had shots where its held at 1,160,000 consistently with my 88M AQ2 setting. The upper maximum is actually 1,180,000. If you look at the second deathchart test bkmcwd posted he was getting around 960,000 consistently (actually 1,010,000 in the last deathchart post he made). I'd expect the last test to be much lower as it's a night time shot with less detail. The bitrate drop in the bkmcwd patch is a result of the T1 T4 change, which if I'm right he says he's removed in the last post.

Edit : There is a lot more to stability than just frame sizes though.

Oh, unless you mean a max framesize at low GOP, which would be lower obviously, but not as low as 800,000 at GOP3 I think.
  • Have anyone got stability using Transcend Class 10 cards?
  • @Butt I completely agree...His 2x the defaults approach seems to be the magic solution. I am not much of a tester...but my eyes tell me the 720p 60 IS VASTLY improved and 44MB looks much cleaner than the Un-hacked.
  • @stray ive had 1,108,000 sustained for around 30 seconds but it will fail eventually, hence the pullbacks for reliability.
  • @Butt wrong. GOP1 is smoother. To be fair, each have their merits. A lower setting is just much easier to playback/ edit on base systems. If you are right, you are suggesting we all pack it in now and stick to 44m and go home.
  • The SD card test wont take place this weekend but sometime during the following week as Kingston and Delkin evaluation samples are still on the way to me.
    Also I'll be doing some Elecard Video Quality Estimator comparison tests to demonstrate over a number of GOPs one to another - same scene/lighting/settings, with samples from different frame numbers (or GOP sequence numbers) to establish the pros and cons of short or long.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions