Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic, series 2
  • 1022 Replies sorted by
  • @PerryWilson

Very nice. Where is that, Florida, Georgia?
    Also, you should show these pictures to Canon owners...
  • @Sohus Have you any results for GOP3ILLA yet? Or has anyone tried them in motion?
  • PAL users using any of my PAL land patches should defo get used to shooting with 100 shutter especially if theyre shooting material involving lights, neon lights etc... Its well documented that 100 shutter is the saftey area to be - from Sony EX3 experience thru to Panasonic. Philip Bloom discusses this a lot.
  • @Ralph_B its in palmetto FL. near my fiance's parents place
  • @PerryWilson pics look good - boy, have you got some good locations!
  • @Stray
    I was able to test outdoor today.
    The 1st screen shot is a result of a natural stress test.
    The camera was vibrated by hand and it recorded.
    The 2nd screen shot is a chart of what was uploaded to vimeo.
    A cadence problem does not occur, either, and since the result was not bad, I think that I will test this more.
    I am also looking forward to the comment which you tried. :-)
    154m1010_1.JPG
    1295 x 634 - 200K
    154m1010_3.JPG
    1295 x 634 - 192K
  • Thank you all for your work and tests. For now the best patches are:

@cbrandin 66M GOP12 AQ2 (1)

@driftwood 132M GOP3 AQ2 (2)

@mpgxsvcd 42M GOP12 AQ4 (3)

@stray 88M GOP12 AQ2 (4)

(And big thanks for Vitaly Kiselev)
  • A question addressed to those who often works with 24p: what you think about the fluidity using the latest GOP1 Driftwood compared to real cine 24P?
    Sorry but for me it is very important.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev As early as 20th August it was mentioned that the low gop stuff suffers cadence issues and would be corrected at a later update. You said recently that a new ptools would be released, what kind of things are you implenting to improve this situation?

Nick
  • @bkmcwd You can't argue with that, that graph looks perfect for that footage. Good luck with the further tests. I'll be going out in a few hours to try it out also.

Do you have the plans for that DIY steadicam you've used somewhere ?
  • @Ulisse Its excellent. I think most people who had initial issues with it were just running tests on playback using various players like WMP, VLC, etc... but none of them seem strong enough to interpret the GOP1 smoothly - hence people think it looks poor. However, bring it into FCP, FCPX, PP, AVID or Vegas and drop it on a 24p timeline and it transcodes very well.
    In terms of looks it will retain a high consistent bitrate which produces continually great looking pictures - and at that bitrate it really brings out the highlights in the shadows.
    Of course, I'm still looking to improve it and am looking forward to a new ptools release which may (or may not) have something extra to give us bigger stable i frames.
    With some new settings I have been testing Ive had this running at Q=2, IQ=2 and producing i frames consistently in the 1.08M and though on the test charts looks stable (ie buffers, streamparser) when filming in real conditions the cadence drifts down to low on the buffer analysis. The strange thing is the i frames stay high and when a recording is finished it takes an age to write the final data to the SD card which suggests the buffer is queued up with data and requires a longer flush to write than normal. e.g. around 3 to 5 seconds before the write button goes out. Strange things indeed.
    Hopefully, this will change, or, we are probably hittting the bottleneck of the GH2's buffer performance.
  • @bkmcwd I'm mighty impressed with your steadicam - did u ever get my vimeo message to you?
  • @Ulisse The stutter seems to have less of that ghosting effect to my eyes with pans at 24p with GOP1, and motion just looks sharper in general. Though I haven't used GOP1 that much really, so somebody who has more experience of it will have to confirm.
  • @Stray
    Thanks! mate.

"Do you have the plans for that DIY steadicam you've used somewhere ? "

Although I am using my DIY steadicam, I do not understand the meaning of what you say for the footage which I stuck upwards, either.
    Possibly, didn't you find me using steadicam because of my poor operation? ;-)

@driftwood
    Thanks!
    And, your saying "new settings I have been testing Ive had this running at Q=2, IQ=2 and producing i frames consistently in the 1.08M and though on the test charts looks stable" sounds verrrrry exciteing!

"did u ever get my vimeo message to you?"

When is it sent although I think that I have not received?
    Possibly, I may have made a mistake in how to use vimeo.
  • @bkmcwd heh, no, not at all the steadicam looks great. I was asking if you have the instructions of how you built it available ? How did you make it ? I'm looking for a good steadicam myself, so would be interested to see how you made that one.
  • @Stray
    OK! I got it! Because my English is POOR!!! ;-)

It is very difficult to explain to you how I built this.
    Although there are some reasons, at first, I do not know whether it is possible to get the material which I am using in your country.
    And since I had come failure in piles fairly for a long time by the time it resulted in this form, expense has also started considerably after all.
    Therefore, I am explaining in YouTube only how to make gimbal which is an important point of steadicam.
    Of course, it is ALL Japanese, sorry.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4vxNaO2Yi4
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL6uDNcLBKE

If you think that you will make steadicam from the beginning, I will recommend you to buy real Merlin.
    Although I think that "performance of gimbal", "dynamic balance", and "practice" are the most important in steadicam, since it will be easy to adjust dynamic balance if you buy Merlin, you can be devoted to the immediately most important practice.

However, supposing you need the explanation from me, I will welcome what you ask freely to me with PM.
    (Of course, you can use ALL English)
    Since it will be scolded by VK if we communicate here ...
  • @driftwood your patch 176M GOP1 is good but for calibration and visual effects is poor ..
  • @Braamokiev it would have been good for you to show us some example. I am not saying that you are right or wrong but without some example how are we suppose to judge what you are saying. If it is true then we won't know where the problem is and if you are wrong, perhaps what errors you might have done in the process.
  • @Braamokiev Whatyou have to remember is the GOP1 setting will maintain the highest average frames over any other setting. Moving wide shots are particularly good for it.
  • @driftwood Which version? GOP3ILLA or QuantMeBaby ?
  • Try either;- GOP3ILLA is for GOP3 testing - two variations and QuantMeBaby (also inside GOPStoppa) is GOP1 176M, there's also a 244M version of GOP1 you'll find earlier in the thread. Short GOP like 1 or 3 together with 24p offers that 'arguable I know' cinematic look & panning.
  • My tests report that 25p in a 50i wrapper seems to work ok from my latest 'GOPStoppa' GOP1 patch. For 25p in 50i clips (aka 25PsF) set the Field Order property to None (progressive scan).
  • @Driftwood
    That it means that we can get a REAL 25 P stream? I would be a very very strong news!!!
  • I'll test it later tonight if I can get your settings, Driftwood!
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions