Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic, series 2
  • 1022 Replies sorted by
  • @Driftwood, @Stray, @PerryWilson No problem with in camera playback that Sandisk Extreme Pro 45mb/s is it. Records with no hick-ups, and plays right back..
  • cool, unfortunately I cant go windows :/ but does 5dtoRGB work with mac?
  • @TrackZilla I too have NO issues... with anything, keep crankin it baby... got a lot of shoots this month, ready to blow some minds :)
  • @Perrywilson yep http://rarevision.com/5dtorgb/ dunno if it works with GOP1 now, or if the problem was related to the rogue P-Frame thats gone now. Anyone ?
  • would you guys say color in .MTS file or convert then color... what holds up best in your opinion... and all I use is GOP1 so I hope it works
  • @PerryWilson Go get'em, let me know when you post samples.. Not sure if GOP1 works with 5dtoRGB yet gonna check for you alright..
  • Pssst...Mac OS X users 10.6 (snow leopard) and up:
    http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/4/865993

ProRes without having to buy FCPX. :)
  • LOL, I did a shot of trees a couple days ago with 44mb. I really want to try this new Intra. Is there one location we can find all the info and instructions? Thanks guys!
  • @Driftwood
    Your new GOP1 SMACKMYGOPUP patch is working fine on Transcend 32GB Ultimate Class 10 cards. They survive Stray's dense death chart in my testing setup.
  • @sohus Very cool. Thanks for testing.
  • @Stray
    I am sorry that I did not reply sooner to you.
    And, thank you for testing repeatedly.
    Although I also wanted to test in the outdoor today, I gave up because of bad weather.
    If the weather will be good tomorrow, I would also like to test.
    I have also already checked becoming the patch which can be used satisfactorily, if AQ1 is used.
    However, then, since it was not so interesting in the lowlight, I used AQ2 forcibly, but a write-in speed to a card may not do as you point out.
    About the balance of the highest frame size and the frame size at the time of lowlight, I worry considerably.
    I also think that the patch set to AQ1 is safe and practical.
    Although various bit rates were changed and tried, 176 was the best when even the speed of the card caught up...
    I think that I will also try many things more, I also expecting good 3GOP which driftwood makes.

Since I have also held tips, I use your present chart well, but I expect the new idea of yours.

Thank you always! :-)
  • @bkmcwd Yeah, in lowlight at AQ2 it is perfect as it is. The shot my SD cards couldn't handle was a bit extreme, the wind was gusting here at about 40 mph today so the trees were moving a lot. I would have liked to try a few more normal and less stressful outdoor tests but I couldn't as I had to go out and shoot something else so I had to take a solid patch with me that I know well. You know people say the extreme pro sandisks have a write speed of only 15-20mbps on the GH2 ? The camera doesn't apparently work well with UHS-I cards (maybe this will change with Panasonics promised firmware update, but I doubt it as the stock settings don't need a higher bitrate). I don't actually have any of the older Extreme III cards that the camera can apparently write to at 20Mbps+. We really need someone with that kind of card to give the patch a test that hits similar rates and frame size. But saying that, they're really hard to get hold of cards now, I don't think Sandisk still make them.
  • @driftwood
    I am hitting 800k i-frames in 1080p24H
    I am only hitting 140 - 300k i-frames in 720p50 SH, FSH is about the same

Is that normal behavior, they both look very low to me but I haven't tested with 720p/1080i before so I am not sure what to expect.
  • I need to dig out my older 16GB Sandisk Extreme III 30MB/s SDHC card. I forgot I still had this card. I used it in my EX1 camera where I used a PCI to SDHC adapter.
    Why the heck diid Sandisk discontinue this great card?

• @sohus Normal. e.g. Here's Stock GH2 720p50 and 1080i50 recorded on pappas death chart. We're doing ok - and don't forget we got i frames throughout!!!
    720p50 stock settings on death chart.png
    1527 x 973 - 118K
    1080i50 stock settings on death chart.png
    1526 x 996 - 125K
  • Hello driftwood, you are doing a great work really! I tried your last settings (720p50 GOP1 V2) they looks very good for me but they aren't really stable.
    Thanx for all your great efforts!
  • @bardamu what sd card did you try the setting on?
  • Thanks Nick.
    Man, I'm waiting to see where you go with high bitrate 3GOP. Of course, like yourself (and MANY others), I'm a fan of intraframe. There's something about long gop that adds that additional smoothing that bothers me.

Based on many here, my goal (and yours I'm sure! ,lol) is to find the lowest GOP (ideally GOP1), that can hit the top limits of i-frame ~1.1MB and have the largest i-frames under the same repeatable low light condition.

• @driftwood
    I tried with a sandisk 32gb class 10 in camera formatted, i did another attempt few minutes ago, my gh2 crashed after 2' 24", i was in my home with lumix 14-140 iso 800 film mode nostalgic. The good news is that when camera crash, video file resists and is even playable in camera :)
  • @bardamu Sandisk extreme 30mbs?
  • Did you try to film with these settings in real life?
  • he did... EVERYONE NEEDS the Sandisk 45mbit/s cards... solves ALL ISSUES... they are cheap get them
  • @bardamu yes of course! However, Im using 45mbs cards. But Im still trying to improve 720/50p for 30mbs
  • @Stray
    Although I can still be testing only with your test chart, since the results of some tests with that patch are different each time, I think that writing speed is really close shave.
    I hope to test outdoor tomorrow.

"a write speed of only 15-20mbps on the GH2"
    I feel that I also read by somewhere...But, I'm not sure this is true.

If there is a faster card, I would like to know a result very much, although I also think somehow that it is a thing with the slow camera side.

Although it may be meaningless, I place the patch once set to AQ1.
    This is not special but stable, I think...
    setc.zip
    483B
    176maq1.JPG
    1295 x 633 - 188K
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions