Personal View site logo
GH2 Possible Improvements
  • 288 Replies sorted by
  • 4K video to do lossless software stabilization in post :)
  • @Mihuel

>What about this : possibility to record 4 channels of sound : 2 from external mic and 2 from internal ?

This is not possible, of course. As they use same stereo ADC :-)

• It would be great if you could make the senor read at 50p (like it does when in 50i mode), but only write every second frame to the card. That way you could have 25p with much less rolling shutter. It would only be worthwhile if the quality was as good as the 24p mode though.
  • Jpg .mov's at different framerates? 24p? 60p?
  • > Jpg .mov's at different framerates? 24p? 60p?

This requires different sensor setup.
    And we not at this level yet. Hope that we'll be.
  • Higher bitrate please. 1080p24, 720p60, 720p30. 100Mbps!!!
  • 1080p60
  • similarly to having more contrast options, it'd be cool to have more sharpness options, that is, being able to go below -2.
  • I would love higher bitrates along with more variable frame rates, if possible. Better still, why you were recording to be able to adjust them on the fly.
    This may already exist but haven't found it yet. Would love to turn off the eye piece so that when I hold the camera close to my body it doesn't shut off the view screen. Drives me nuts.
  • If you can squeeze out a bit more dynamic range from the sensor that would be excellent.
    Also, if we could get HDMI out during ETC that would sure make my life easier.
  • Hi Vitaly, long time reader here.

To me, a major problem with the GH2 is color banding... Really tricky with professional work, as debanding with grain or plugins like sapphire helps but don't really solve the problem.

And, as stated by Oedipax, 4/3 sensor crop for anamorphic shooting would be a must !
    And while I'm dreaming : Desqueezed monitoring ;)
  • Hello Vitaliy,

Things I personaly would like to see:

ISO range extened down very very low e.g. 0.1 ISO (if at all possible) and to have this useable with auto ISO. The use of this would be so a timelapse (when using stills or video) can be set at a fixed shutter speed and fixed apature, but with a large ISO range you will still alow perfict exposure from day to night. maybe a sensible range would be from 1ISO-12,800ISO in 1/3rd stops when using auto ISO.

For when using auto ISO alow the user to input the minimum shutter speed the camera will try to keep, and alow the user to specify the range for the auto ISO to work within. (hopefully from the above request 1-12,800ISO).

If the ISO range was only able to span x stops of DR then moving the ISO maximum down to 6400 or 3200 and moving the lowest ISO from 160 down to 80 or 40 would be good. (as the higher ISO settigns are not realisticly good quality and the use of lower ISO would negate the need for ND filters and hopefully give a better IQ).

Some kind of auto record, start triggered by movement and/or noise. (user definable? if just a % setting) Would be good for surveillance and wildlife filming. (e.g. bird nest box)

Inbuilt intervolometer for full timelapse control - this could be combined with your camera sync part of the FW, so you may set 1 camera as a master and the others (why not lots i.e. 99) as slaves - so recording for stereo could be setup and controled from the camera.

This might be extended further and alow the slaves to offset the triggering, and one after the other in sequence (must be user selectable with a good range from very very small e.g. 0.001sec to 1/24 sec). - this would be good for timsplice work, having 2-99 cameras sync so each one fires x.xxxsec after the last in a chain.

Creating further extentions of the 40fps mode - if possible could you get a 80fps mode @ 2Mpix or 400fps @ 640x480.... could you get 24fps @ 8Mpix?

Changes in zoom with the crop mode 1.4x, 2x, 2.6x - maybe just multiples of whole pixels is possible?

Keep up the good work - as soon as I can afford a GH2 I will be donating to the cause!

J
  • What about my first suggestion about lower iso (looking at canon chdk)? Is it possible? Do you know how did they achieve it?

One important thing is to fix the banding issue when underexposed or in high contrasty situations with smooth and nostalgic profiles
  • Different shutterspeed memory for video and photo-mode. I want to film at 1/50th, but when I make photographs in "S"-mode I want to have the last "photograpic" shutterspeed remembered.
  • >What about my first suggestion about lower iso (looking at canon chdk)? Is it possible? Do you know how did they achieve it?

Low ISO do not have any point if it is not hardware.

>Different shutterspeed memory for video and photo-mode. I want to film at 1/50th, but when I make photographs in "S"-mode I want to have the last "photograpic" shutterspeed remembered.

Must be impossible due software implementation. We can't rewrite whole firmware for this.
    Use custom modes instead.
  • On GH13 or GH2, I'd like to see the ability to write to the USB port, instead of just the SDHC card. Then I could mount a SSD drive, and possibly record higher bandwidth, lower compression files. Maybe even uncompressed 720p files? Is the chip that writes to the SDHC also capable of writing to any USB device too?
  • Comments on 43rumors about Stalin and Lenin as names for projects are so funny.
    Guys, either do not make such comments, or learn history, read many books about it.
  • >On GH13 or GH2, I'd like to see the ability to write to the USB port, instead of just the SDHC card. Then I could mount a SSD drive, and possibly record higher bandwidth, lower compression files.

You can't do it.
    Camera is based on main LSI, and it can do only specific things, like writing to SD via DMA.
    USB port is good idea. But only USB 3.0 and on next generation cameras. Most probably we'll just see USB host mode, so you could attach any USB 3.0 drive to it.
  • Comments on 43rumors - yes lol!
  • I would also like to see white balance and iso change while recording. One more thing not sure if it is possible but when taking stills the lcd switches brightness levels, really irritating when trying to take a picture.
  • >Guys, either do not make such comments, or learn history, read many books about it.

Ha, you should have called the projects 'Kropotkin' & 'Bakunin' and forced them to read.

All possible improvements I'd like to see in the GH2 have already been mentioned, but having more control over AEB would be nice, instead of having the preset stop ranges.
  • > Ha, you should have called the projects 'Kropotkin' & 'Bakunin' and forced them to read.

They are anarchists. Read - pure theoretics of impossible :-)
    Our projects are named by people who understood difference between pure theory and real life :-)
  • And life is brutal :-)
  • 1080 60P, if possible. (but you know that)

In manual focus, it would be nice to have the on-screen distance calibrated in feet/meters.