Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 Possible Improvements
  • 288 Replies sorted by
  • >In manual focus, it would be nice to have the on-screen distance calibrated in feet/meters

Most probably that all "on-screen things" will be pretty hard.
    Contrary to Canon cameras we have almost all UI code executing directly in flash in GH1.
    Plus such code can be very compex (using different threads).
    So, you'll just brick the body developing even small modifications.
  • Don't know if anyone's mentioned this - live picture and audio output through the USB/AV cable.
  • > live picture and audio output through the USB/AV cable.

This won't happen for sure.
  • Why the future GH2 hack can't do live picture trough AV cable ?
  • Will it be possible to have some kind of an audio monitoring solution?
    The two most important "possible" improvements for me though are maxed out bitrates and as lot of control over tweaking film modes as possible.
    And ofcourse we dream for 60p and clean hdmi...
  • >Will it be possible to have some kind of an audio monitoring solution?

Buy either JuicedLink small new preamp or Tascam recorder.
  • >Why the future GH2 hack can't do live picture trough AV cable ?

Because cameras do not run on general purpose CPUs :-)
    And I do not understand that you menu under AV cable. Via USB - no. Via composite - I do not see any point of this.
  • More extreme bracketing steps would be nice, like 3• 2 or 3• 3
  • >More extreme bracketing steps would be nice, like 3• 2 or 3• 3

I see it present already in
    https://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/gh2-hack-faq

• Most people have already requested all of the cool video features.

I would like to request one for still photography.

I want the flash in M, P, or A mode to ignite regardless of the stutter speed when in the UP position and when the flash mode is set to mandatory ignition.

This is sorely missing on the GH1 (still) as well.

Thanks for considering it!
  • Vitaly did you know that COMPOSITE picture can be out by the pin number 7 of HDMI wire ?
  • Hi, I´m a new GH2´s happy owner. Not yet tried a lot but I see the continuous autofocus on video already exists :) Anyway, I'm in a PAL country and only got the U.S. version. So,25p and full HDMI output please
  • Vitaly,
    I don't understand why GH2 can't have 576p trough composite (AV cable) during recording :/
  • Hello,

- Continuous iris control while filming in manual mode (to avoid level "steps" visible when correcting aperture in the middle of a shot)

- While shooting in Manual focus, it would be very useful to be able to briefly autofocus (by half pressing the release button)

- On screen/viewfinder focus assist (focused parts of the picture outlined e.g. in red)

I also support:

- In manual focus, it would be nice to have the on-screen distance calibrated in feet/meters

- Lower ISO : to film outdoors in a sunny day without ND filters (nor high shutter speeds)

Thanks!
  • How about an adjustable ETC mode, where you can fine-tune the "crop factor"? Because the camera has processing power sufficient to downscale by factor of 2.6 (which it does in regular, not ETC mode, remember; ETC mode is 1:1), then it should be able to downscale by any other factor. Make the most of those legacy lenses, eliminate or enhance vignetting as you wish. Awesome!
  • PLEASE: Restore Auto ISO in S and M modes with non-m43 lenses! Why oh why should the availability of Auto ISO in S and M mode depend on whether the camera can tell what aperture the lens is set to? It's time for this bug, which all G cameras share, to be fixed.

You the man, Vitaliy!
  • Would there be a way for the camera to function without the shutter as an electronic shutter camera? When the camera is in a still mode using the electronic shutter in SH burst mode the minimum shutter is 1/40th sec and takes a burst of 40 frames, could we change that number to 1 burst and increase the shutter options down to bulb?
  • I would hope top priority would be patches to boost bitrate in AVCHD modes. Essentially I think that is all I truly need. Stable 40mb to 50mb like the GH13 would be a huge boost with the improved encoder.

My best hope would be the ability to change one of the variable framerates (like 80%) to 40% (1080p 60) slowed to 24p and written without audio. Probably not possible, but I can always hope.
  • >>Why the future GH2 hack can't do live picture trough AV cable ?
    >Because cameras do not run on general purpose CPUs :-)
    >And I do not understand that you menu under AV cable. Via USB - no. Via composite - I do not see any pointof this.

I need composite out for video transmitter on my RC helikopter.
    GH2 already has live out through usb/AV cable but it stops when recording start.
  • I don't know if this has already been asked (haven't seen it yet) but would 1080p or 720p at 48fps be hypothetically possible?
    It would be great to shoot everything in 48fps and, in post, to have the option to do an easy 50% slowmo when needed and to convert the rest to 24p without any problem.
    I really hope this is possible.
  • Bitrate improvements, etc.

Here is an important thing I would really like to see:
    Enabling of focus assist and ETC modes while using HDMI output. This sounds simple enough but I could see it being difficult given it for reasons similar to why composite output is difficult. I noticed ETC was already listed on the link you provided but I don't think focus assist is.
  • AV-out during record for my helicopter RC ;) This why I use GH2 :)
    Thanks
  • How about adding a raw style wavelet (no blocks) JPEG2000 style compression, like that used in the RED camera line? Or better yet, compress directly to a performance optimized compression like CineForm compression format with a .mov wrapper? That would be yummy!
    http://www.cineform.com/technology.php
  • The list at the wiki is pretty good. I would add a logarithmic Film mode. And maybe a False color exposure help, but you said GUI stuff was hard to do. Are custom filenaming schemes possible?
  • >How about adding a raw style wavelet (no blocks) JPEG2000 style compression

This is not general putpose CPU :-) You can't add new compression types, or even really change present one.