Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 Possible Improvements
  • 288 Replies sorted by
  • Vitaliy, man, honestly just do your best, as I'm sure you are. Anything extra we can get out of this already amazing machine will be much appreciated. Good luck!
  • I don't know if it's possible but i think that it might be a real plus: the ability to record all the 24fps with the shutter open for more than 1/25. Maybe it is just a codec issue and you can fix it, it would be awesome
  • I think that you can't record 24fps footage with shutter for more than 1/24s :-)
    And I don't understand how it can be codec issue.
  • well... you can do 1/24s.... not sure that would be very useful though.... ;-)
  • If i choose a shutter speed of 1/8th of a second for example also if i choose 24p recording i've a video where every frame is taken every 1/8th. I thought it could be possible to record what the sensor sees while the shutter is open, like in analogic film cameras. But if you say that it is impossible, then :(
  • @jo447: I think it would be very useful giving many creative possibilities. The first thing that comes in mind is video lightpainting for example
  • You can shoot with much longer shutter speeds, but you can only select them if you switch to MF (manual focus) for some reason. However true 1/24 would be useful so the shutter is fully open.
  • I know that i can record with much longer speeds but the gh2 record just a frame every 1/8th or whatever i choose, it doesn't take frames continuously at 24p while the shutter is open like it happens with film cameras
  • @Elenion

It looks like you want me to change the way CMOS sensors work :-)
  • @Elenion, I'm not sure what you mean. The shutter can't be more than fully open, which is whatever the framerate you're shooting at (ie. 1/24 for 24fps).
  • Ahah i'm sorry vitalyi but i don't know how they work, i just thought that it was possible to let the sensor record frames while the shutter is still open obtaining powerful effects like light trails. But it is impossible ok, got it eheh
  • What you want can be done, but it has to be done in software - you can do it in post. The firmware could theoretically do it too, but it requires a lot of frame memory and some processing power.
  • How hard would enabling sound recording in the 24fps 1080p 80% speed mode would be? Because, at least in the NTSC version of the camera, it is actually just silent 1080p at the standard 29.97fps - so I use that as my standard shooting mode and I'm always frustrated by lack of sound to sync my second source audio to. Would totally be awesome if this GH2 hack comes to fruition.
  • >How hard would enabling sound recording in the 24fps 1080p 80% speed mode would be?

I don't know at this time if this is possible to make.
  • cool. I know how hard this stuff is. (A few months ago I hacked Final Cut Express to allow 24fps timelines in sequences. It worked, except then FCE would not reopen those projects after saving and I couldn't fix that, so eventually i gave up…) keep up the good work! would love to see any improvements to the already awesome GH2.
  • 25 FPS is definitely the most important thing for PAL users. However, focus tracking in video is definitely something that would help all of us. Apparently, it was in the pre-release firmware. Hopefully, it is still hidden in there.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

"It looks like you want me to change the way CMOS sensors work :-) "

When you continually do the improbable people will expect you to do the impossible.
  • Re the focus tracking, I wonder if there was an issue with it, which is why it got left off?
  • @Mark

I read on the rumors site that they decided it wasn't a pro feature so they left it off the GH2. I doubt that is true. I think it really didn't work well enough so they just left it off.
  • Hi,
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, or if this is already possible as I've been getting used to the GH2 over the last week or so. It would be great to have, whilst in manual shooting mode, a programmable Fn button to select either auto aperture, auto shutter speed or auto iso whilst holding down an Fn button. Then when releasing it carries on in manual mode. This would be really useful in unprepared situations, especially when using lumix lenses where you can't get manual aperture control on the lens. I know you already have the AE lock button which is useful in Aperture priority mode but I think it could be improved if it could be programmed to work in the way I mentioned.
    Unless it already can and someone can show me how to do this?
    Best of luck with the hack!
  • Another feature which would make the GH2 more pro would be to be able to switch the viewfinder into black and white mode (but still shoot in colour). Better for composition. I can't think why this isn't a standard feature already. Also shooting black and white on digital is better if you convert in post. So a live monochromatic preview whilst shooting in colour would be very useful.
    Not sure if this would be possible, but just a thought.
    ...thanks for all your hard work.
  • @carny

Your suggestions are very specific to your needs and hard to make.
  • I understand, these are probably features which can only be built in and very difficult if not impossible to hack into the firmware. Thanks anyway :)
  • B&W viewfinder and focus peaking would be great for pro users and would make the most of the relatively low res viewfinder. Actually they would be great features for anyone who wants their footage in focus. I'm planning to buy a good EVF to handle this since it does not seem possible through firmware. There goes another $750-1000... *sigh.*
  • When I bought my GH2 back in mid Dec 2010 it was the first thing I asked Panasonic. To their credit they answered very quickly, just that it was a "no". But it would be a great feature for video users. I think it might be part of what's been requested many times. I live in hope, because it would be brilliantly useful.

I'm not a great lover of adding other bits to the camera, because to be honest it makes it more unwieldy. With my existing HD cameras, which are pretty robust, it's still a pain to plug lots of things into it. The one thing (apart from a good gun mic, obviously) I do sometimes plug in is a 17" LCD monitor in a flight case. It's very useful mainly for the actors to see what the shot looks like, and it's also useful when playing with lighting.