Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 Possible Improvements
  • 288 Replies sorted by
  • Here's an odd request that I don't know is possible, but would make a world of difference for what I shoot (and I'll be the first to call idiot on myself if it is already possible on this camera...)

Would it be possible to create the ability to continuously record and shed clips of a predetermined length and save only the clips you want saved using a sort of "tag" function?

• >Would it be possible to create the ability to continuously record and shed clips of a predetermined length and save only the clips you want saved using a sort of "tag" function?

No. You must just make custom software solution to trim MTS files without recompression.
  • One thing I want to see is lens profiles that you can make on computer and store on your card.
    They must include all CA and distortion correction info (working for manual lenses).
    Lens name, year of manufacturing, etc.
    You must have ability to assign Fn as modifier to set used aperture that will be stored in stills and video meta.
  • QUOTE: shrigg

As a production videographer, the things I need most are:
    1. Focus peaking in red like the AF100 has. I have to get focus right or else I'm sunk!

I agree. Peaking is very important. Getting reliable focus is the single biggest problem with DSLRs.
    Every camera that shoots video should have peaking. But the people who design DSLRs just don't get it.
  • "One thing I want to see is lens profiles that you can make on computer and store on your card."

This combined with anamorphic adapters would be golden. Panasonic could very easily ship a calibration card (say a black grid sheet) you take a photo of the card and then the camera could have the option for automatically processing CA and distortion and then save the lens profile on your SD card. I would have to believe this would be less work to implement than the fairly useless face tracking feature and would be an incredible asset for Pros.

Unfortunately they are too worried about disabling 3rd party batteries.
  • >I would have to believe this would be less work to implement than the fairly useless face tracking feature and would be an incredible asset for Pros.

Looking at code they never changed core face tracking things for years :-)
    As for implementation - it is easy to do for Panasonic (or any manufacturer with already implemented CA and distortion corrections).
  • A way to disable the moving of the focus square when (accidentaly...) touching the screen would be very welcome.
  • @ambergris Nice idea - in some audio recorders this is implemented but a bit differently: continuous buffering, but without saving it to recording media - and when you press record, the device starts recording to the media and includes an additional few seconds before you pressed the button as well. I guess this could be useful in some circumstances, such as capturing explosions or lightning or other unpredictable phenomena? Is this the sort of thing you were thinking of?
  • @Mark_the_Harp Sorry, I just noticed your question. Not exactly, but likely uses similar technology...what happens is that you set a time frame for a clip, 2min, 3min, 5min, etc, and the camera will constantly record clips of this length until you press a "tag" button. If you press "tag" in the first half of the current clip, the camera will save the current clip and the prior clip. If you press in the second half of the current clip, it saves the current and next clip. Once a clip is not the current or prior clip, it vanishes :)

The POV cameras from VIOSport have this function and it is incredibly useful for recording things like fishing when nothing can happen for long stretches and action comes unexpectedly, but that action tends to be preceded with things you want to remember.
  • Hello
    First excuse my poor english
    I am an old man and I try to use a GH2 as a film camera. So is it any body to help me to change the soft of my camera?
    I am OK to pay the new soft
  • @Dom
    Are you sure you're focused? Are you trying to manual focus? Is the focus hunting?
  • @domino Or do you mean software?
  • I just want an option to disable the whole fu... touchscreen. It sucks! I don´t want it. My GH1 don´t had it and I never missed anything. Now I often accidently touch the screen when filmen and something weird happens. For me it is witless.
  • @HervT, RTFM ; ). Or look in the menus.
  • Hi Vitaly! Thanks for your work!

I wish for working AE lock during video recording. It works currently "one-way" only (it's possible to turn it on before recording and switch off when recording), so it sounds like very possible improvement.

But full manual gain control would be much better, of course.
  • I would like the ability to actually USE remote aswell as mic to the 2,5mm jack using soldered adapter, as iandrew pointed out.

- "after studying gh1 schematic I can say that this is fully software feature: switching from internal to external mic is software procedure (command and wires going from main board). It will be great for example to have possibility to "manualy" switching to external mic."

- cited from "GH2 Remote+Mic Adapter out there?" thread, which i started.
  • I want peaking!!!! Darn...
  • >I want peaking!!!! Darn...

Tell this to Panasonic, as only they can make proper peaking.
  • Vitaliy, I have a question about the issue with 3rd party batteries not showing their power level. Is it GH2's 'feature' that can be overriden with the upcoming hack or is it battery manufacturers' issue and nothing can be done about it? I hope it can be hacked somehow because original batteries are crazy overpriced and the cheap ones usually die in the middle of a take, which is not cool at all;) Thanks!
  • > Tell this to Panasonic, as only they can make proper peaking.

Thanks to Sony... Hopefully Panasonic copies them...
  • I've been lurking this forum for a while and am about to purchase a GH2 but they are too damn expensive here, plus I do not like the 30 minute limit on the PAL version. Is there currently no way to change the language of a Chinese or Japanese version to English until the hack arrives?
  • @Zoke

Wait for hack. It is as easy as that.
  • * Increased bitrate for 1080 24P (120 Mb/s ?), but if possible, increased bitrate for all Video modes (e.g. 720, 1080i ....).
    * 1080 60P (We can dream, can't we?... LOL)
    * HDMI The ability to correctly stream 24P over 60i for capture.
    * Anything that can help improve signal-to-noise spec. (Although, this will of course be limited to hardware)
    * More Zerbra settings e.g IRE 60, 65,70,75,80,85,90,95,100
    * 720P improved with B frames.
    * Ability to stream video at a higher bitrate to USB.
  • usb streaming has already been ruled out,as its not general purpose cpu.

* 1080 25p @ high bitrate
  • Firmware Request
    Would there be a way to set ISO for videos outside of Creative Motion Picture Mode? For example, when the camera is in M/S/A/P and I press the video button, the camera instantly changes the ISO setting to AUTO.

Perhaps another way to enable this is to allow the exposure lock (AEL) to function for movies taken when the camera is in M/S/A/P mode. Again, when the camera is in M/S/A/P + AEL and I press the video button, the AEL is disengaged an the camera uses AUTO ISO.

The Creative Motion Picture Mode does not have this issue, but I'd rather not have to twiddle the dial back and forth between M/S/A/P and Creative Motion Picture Mode.

Firmware Request
    Would there be a way to allow EX. TELE CONV. function outside of Manual Movie mode?

Firmware Request
    1280x720@30p (AVCHD)