Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • Hello once again pocket camera users and personal view peeps! Just going to share another video and an experience with the camera. My production team and I had our last wedding of 2013 on the 21st of December. Being here in BC Canada, it was gloomy, dark and depressing to the eyes. Not the best conditions to film a wedding in.

So I shot the wedding with the pocket camera the whole day with ProResHQ. I pulled out the GH3 on a few shots for steadicam and long speeches for the DVD. One of the hardest things for me to deal with that day was lighting. It was difficult to get light into the hotel rooms, bedrooms, church and reception. (for some reason wedding planners like to turn down the lights ALL THE TIME at receptions... BLEH!!) I rolled with the Lumix 14 and 20mm, Canon FD 28mm 2.8, Nikon 50mm 1.4, and it still was hard to get any light. Thank god for ProresHQ being very robust!

The 2nd bugger of the day was the fact that I only had two 64GB cards the whole day. But me being a story teller by eye kind of guy, i just picked pretty angles, important moments and stuff like that for filming and always rehearsed moves with my trusty konova slider. (Always have a laptop handy for dropping off footage! I learned the hard way! I filmed so little at times worrying i won't have enough memory.)

Its such a shame the camera can't tell you how much footage or room you have left on your card. But the handy thing is that the warning that says "Card Full" actually comes up at around 40+ GBs used. So you don't have to panic as much because you have quite a reasonable 20gb safe zone in case the scene you were filming was going longer than you had hoped for.

Conclusion, I am a crazy fool to try filming a whole day with 1 hour of memory on a gloomy day, with a run and gun setup on a camera not really designed for it. BUT, I love the experience and the learning curve and the feeling of preserving memory to wait for that perfect shot. Its exhilarating but also freaking nerve wracking! Editing was fun because I got to make the look I wanted (retro homey film look).

I learned it is Possible to use as a wedding film camera. You just have to have the tools to back you up on the way! I can't wait to make more with this lil bugger and I hope that they make a new menu system and proper audio levels, card space and perhaps a exposure meter to see if you're way underexposed trying to save highlights! GAAH! Anyway I hope you guys are loving you're camera like I am. Below is the video and I hope you like it and I hope to see more of your work!

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev My apologies, Vitaly. Thanks for letting me keep a few frames up; I'll make sure to use image hosting next time. @crisvpl I have Raw4Pro and it's a pretty good program. It will also convert your Compressed .DNG to uncompressed so you can use it in Premiere, or just export out a proxies or DnxHD 175x, etc. Pretty nifty program Alex made adn it's a pretty fast transcoder too.

• @crispvpl

I bought the program wich is actually kind of buggy, did not put a lot effort into it. Doesn't seem to do anything better then the free resolve version (with wich you can convert into a compressed video format, also DNxHD, faster then any other program).

• @lunalobo75

Attachments are not made for big amount of images, image hostings are for this.

• Is there anybody who use raw4pro? It looks usefull to me, because I can have compressed video (less space, but preserving the power of raw) and I can use the files directely in Premiere (so I can use LUT and other grading plugins). DNXhd is open source, but it seem that it try to aply a AWB... I will apreciate if someboty that has/use this will share some toughts. If I have to pay 30$ for it, I want to be sure it worhs... Thank you!

• Quick grade of frames from an upcoming shoot I did with My GH2 (Moon T7) and BMPCC RAW... GH2 still holds its own;) I'll post the video soon:

00036-001 (15-17-51-08).jpg
    1280 x 720 - 714K
    ehutsqa_1.10.1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    elephant (79) (13-40-00-11).jpg
    936 x 527 - 278K
    heit_1.9.1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    onatop_1.20.1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • @derek You have some pretty bad sensor pattern going on in that graded version. Is that what you were trying to show us here?

• @vicharris Actually that 1st shot reminds me of the look of Breaking Bad - really well done.

• @matt_gh2 Thanks man. I really love that first one too. The natural grain in it is just tits! Though it was lit professionally and I'm starting to get the hang of Resolve.

• @DocoDocoMan I got curious so I found the kickstarter. The audio on your video sounds really funky like it was recorded inside a silo or something. Otherwise, it looks pretty neat!

• @DocoDocoMan Can't wait to see what you've been working on. As soong as the link is available, I'll be donating!

• As some of you may know I have been squirrelling away in my own little SkunkWorks tinkering about creating a wireless remote control system for operating the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera.

In an effort to move the development to the next level I now proudly announce the commencement of a new CrowdFunding Kickstarter campaign to raise the funds to build and refine the prototype and the associated software and Android App.

• @vicharris Those shots look damn good. 1st one in particular does have a "pro cinematic" look to it. Very cool.

• Hey guys, here is a trailer to a short film I shot/edited. The talking heads were shot on the BMPCC with the 7-14mm, all the action shots were 60d's, with a GH2 (Moon T7) slipped in occasionally. I'd love to know what you think and thanks to Captain Hook for the LUT and to all of you guys for the knowledge sharing.

• @last_SHIFT

We have topic about this product, use it, please.

• BMPCC Speedbooster in stock at B&H. Mine just shipped out.

• if it will comes up... no news about it?

• So which is the best adapter for Canon lenses (until the SpeedBooster comes out)?

• @Illusionist_Films Thanks for the sharing your experience and make sure to post a link of the finished film once it's online - I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to see it.

As for wide angle on the bmpcc, the 7-14mm is perfect for those who aren't afflicted by the shallow-d.o.f. contagion.

• @lunalobo75 Thanks man. I have to say the first one looks like damn film to my untrained eyes!!

• @vicharris that looks really nice, man. I just started using Majerski's LUTs, they do have a nice look to them.

• Couple screen grabs from my most recent work. I'm using Toms Vision T Lut on these and love the look.

First image isn't cleaned up. I really like the natural grain feel of it and the second has a little bit of NR on it.

Toms VisionT Lut (Jen)_1.63.1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 283K
    Tom_VisionT _1.14.1 copy.jpg
    1800 x 1013 - 206K
  • @Oedipax Yeah, they have a bunch coming in Thu/Fri, and supposedly 'more than enough' to cover back orders.

• My BMPCC speed booster shipped from B&H yesterday, I should receive it tomorrow. Ordered around a week ago.