Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • "Specs: Native 1920x1080 resolution; 12.48mmx7.02mm effective sensor"

In case you actually searched this and were confused: native 1920x1080 means 1080p is the actual image sensor resolution.

• Well, not such a silly question as it sounds. It's a Bayer pattern and as such it can't truly resolve in image pixels the number of photocells it has. If it had an OLPF, it should resolve between 850 and 900 lines in height with a really good debayering software.

It doesn't have one, so it's near impossible to measure correctly, since you'll see false detail beyond that limit.

• But for all intents and purposes it's 1920x1080.

• Yes, for marketing purposes. RED One was marketed as 4K – about as true, measurable resolution was 3.5, which wasn't bad actually (it has an OLPF).

The BMCC in RAW should have true 2K, just like an Alexa.

• can somebody test it against an alexa..?

• @niki Is that a serious question or are you playing around?

• Are you using the camera for some form of scientific measurements where exact pixel count might be relevant? When paired with good glass, the images that the camera produces are clean and sharp and they look just about as sharp as any other 1080p content I've ever seen when viewed full-size on a decent-sized 1080p display.

• Please check out "The Only Choice "shot on the BMCC & BMPCC

• Cross posted from the Christmas competition. Sorry if you're seeing this twice.

Shot with the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera with a Panasonic Leica 14-50mm 3.8-5.6 Graded in Davinci Resolve using CaptainHooks LUT. Music: Rebel Jesus by the Wood Brothers

• General question, how I can decrease moire that I clearly notice a specially at RAW footage? Overall sharpness could be good in RAW, i'd even add some sharpness at DaVinci, but it clearly will make moire harder.

• @chriscalifano Great Job Chris. I really enjoyed that!

• @act Blur the chroma channel, sharpen luma only in Resolve.

• @nomad I had a similar setup in After Effects to treat Canon 7D footage for moire only I'd do a median filter on the chroma with sharpening on the luma (high pass filter, Photoshop-style rather than any of the built-in sharpening kernels). It made a huge difference.

• Shot on BMPC Raw, using Switar 16mm & Schnieder 10mm. Graded in Davinci with Osiris Luts.

• I noticed that the BMPCC Speedbooster 'estimated' availability has been removed from B&H. However the BMCC version is listed as available : 1.15.

• We've done a narrative short about living with dementia at my work, where we used the pocket as A-cam. As we're trying to offer it to prospective clients I can't post the finished movie yet, but I wrote a blog post where I share our thoughts about working only with the BMPCC as A-cam on a professional shooting environment. Might be an interesting read... http://www.eazy-entertainment.com/en/short-forget-bmpcc/

Vergessen.jpg
    1920 x 816 - 101K
  • My BMPCC speed booster shipped from B&H yesterday, I should receive it tomorrow. Ordered around a week ago.

• @Oedipax Yeah, they have a bunch coming in Thu/Fri, and supposedly 'more than enough' to cover back orders.

• Couple screen grabs from my most recent work. I'm using Toms Vision T Lut on these and love the look.

First image isn't cleaned up. I really like the natural grain feel of it and the second has a little bit of NR on it.

Toms VisionT Lut (Jen)_1.63.1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 283K
    Tom_VisionT _1.14.1 copy.jpg
    1800 x 1013 - 206K
  • @vicharris that looks really nice, man. I just started using Majerski's LUTs, they do have a nice look to them.

• @lunalobo75 Thanks man. I have to say the first one looks like damn film to my untrained eyes!!

• @Illusionist_Films Thanks for the sharing your experience and make sure to post a link of the finished film once it's online - I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to see it.

As for wide angle on the bmpcc, the 7-14mm is perfect for those who aren't afflicted by the shallow-d.o.f. contagion.

• So which is the best adapter for Canon lenses (until the SpeedBooster comes out)?