Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • this test does not include testing of coverage of a super 16 sensor (or any sensor, as far as i could see) - did I miss something there?

• Cosmicar 6,5mm f1.8 will cover the S16 Sensor.

cos6,5.jpg
    800 x 600 - 234K
  • Is there a reason why people don't talk about the Tokina 11-16 and a speed booster/mikanon adapter.

• @danyyyel

I've been talking about it. I've mentioned it several times. The Tokina 11-16 f2.8 effectively becomes a 8-11.5 f2 when a Speed Booster is used.

• Yep, I'm getting m43 speedbooster for my 11-16, once it's available :) Sorted!

• Don't forget the http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/optional_accessories/dmw_gwc1/

Turns your 14mm f2.5 into 11mm. Not a lot of new ones left out there but you can still find a few.

• @Hakosuka Actually, because of the multi-aspect sensor in the GH2, that doesn't really play out in the normal video modes (where the GH2 is noticeably wider than a 2X crop, many say more like 1.86x but I won't bet money one way or the other :).

If that were true, then 1.86x20 = 37.2 while 3.00x14 = 42. However the GH3 is much closer to an actual 2x crop, so 2X20 = 40.

42/37.2 = 1.129 42/40 = 1.050

So the GH3 comparison would be more accurate, possibly by around 7% (but I don't know how accurate 1.86 vs 1.88 is for the crop factor, etc.)

Not sure if that helps but figured it was worth a shot. :)

• @Brian202020 Yes that is why I don't understand the frenzy of those C mount lenses. The Tokina is a know quantity in terms of sharpness and distortion and will be usable on larger sensor camera. So it is a much better investment for the future. The only thing I hope is that metabones or mikanon does provide an iris control for the M43 to Nikon mount version. We should tell Vitaliy to contact Mikanon.

• where do you get those lenses? I almost never find any lens on ebay that is mentioned here.

Where do you search for them?

(I live in Germany so maybe won't apply to me, but still i am interested!)

• I also wanted grab some lenses before the rush but after research for some days I decided to wait. All quality lenses sold on ebay are quite expensive. I had some Zeiss S16 PL lenses on the list and all were sold at starting at 1.000,- € and you still need an adapter for that. I am very sure that we will see wide angle lenses quite soon and that we dont have to struggle with CCTV or vignetting lenses that dont match really.

• @danyyyel The Cosmicar (is from Pentax!) 12,5mm Silver Version does not vignette, has absolutely no distorsion and is Tak-sharp at f2.8, so under BMCPocket it will get a 36mm lens; So i think it is a real alternative to the Tokina 11-16mm.... If you consider to buy a Tokina, it will cost you ca. 600 Euro.....

• There's been a lot of talk about the DOF not being shallow enough on a S16 size sensor. Since the crop forces you to step back farther when framing the shot, causing an increased DOF, wouldn't using faster glass, wider open (Voigtlander 17.5mm F 0.95) solve this problem or am I missing something?

I love the shallow DOF look, so if it actually became an issue w/ the pocket, I would prob go w/ BMCC-MFT, but I don't see how that would be an issue at F 0.95 - F 2.0. Correct me if I'm wrong since you guys are more experienced.

• @TGDude

You're right about using faster lenses the DoF will be shallower, but with wide lenses the effect is reduced, so you would have to use longer focal lenghts to achieve the same DoF. For example, i use a 85mm 1.2 with my GX1 with great results!

• @killagram All I can say is -- Wow! Of course there are IS issues, and objects moving too close to the camera, but this really shows what is possible... Thanks for the link.

• @TGDude

The Voigtländer 17.5mm f0.95 should give you about the same look as a 50mm f2.8 on a full frame camera like the 5D. Of course it won't be razor thin, but it should be pretty decent. The only problem with the Voigtländer I see is that it costs more than the Pocket Camera.

• A full frame 50mm f2.8 will probably be sharper than if you use the Voigt at f0.95 I am guessing as they are not maximized at widest. The SLR 25mm might do well if you can get past the CA. BMCC moire or loss of depth with CA with the Pocket Camera - these seem to be the choices.

• I see. Well I already picked up the Voigt 17.5mm and sold my Panasonic Leica 25mm 1.4, but I find myself still trying to convince myself to get the BMCC-MFT instead of the pocket. Logic and $ says pocket, since I'll be exporting for the web, but there's something about the BMCC that keeps me interested. Maybe its just the more professional looking body and the hope of 2.5k raw downscaled being more crisp. Either way, one of those cams will be mine this summer.

• I think shallow DOF is not necessary. It is just another tool in our box. But I'd rather have RAW than shallower DOF. :)

• @Tungee78 I thought the discution was for wider lens as 36mm is really moderately wide. That is why I was talking about the speedbooster with the 11-16, to make it more like a 8mm at its widest giving a 24 mm full frame look.

• Yeah 8-9mm is what I would want too, preferably in a small fast prime & affordable. For me the beauty of the Pocket is keeping it small, light and stealth, for found footage on the move. I'm not interested in sticking a large rig or matte box on it (although for some that will be cool too).

Any options there?

• @Micah, the term for opposite of parfocal is varifocal.

• How fast does the 8~9.5mm Prime need to be for people here?

I'm in a different boat, from my own testing with BV1 MFT (Blackmagic Version 1) and Pocket Cam crop, I know an 8 or 9.5mm is the widest I would ever need, and I have access to that in various forms. Those primes are T1.3.

But, how fast does an 8mm or 9.5mm need to be for you guys to be acceptable? 2.8?

I've got a test that I need to run, but I might have a solution for this that's been overlooked.

• Well... good thing I prefer to only shoot at focal lengths above 40mm! The Lumix G 12-35 f2.8 should be good for almost everything!

• Does anyone know about the timelapse properties of the pocket camera? I seem to remember that all of the BM cameras will have same menus and same firmware.. Just not sure what timelapse options there might be, if any?