Personal View site logo
Driftwood Cluster X series 3:│moon T7│ЅріzZ T6│Nebula T7│Drewnet T9│
  • 1811 Replies sorted by
  • @matt_gh2, thanks for the info, I will look around for the settings/patches by @bkmcwd, and I will continue with some more testing of Moon T7 before I even switch to SpizZ T6 (?) to try that.

@powderbanks, thank you also for the info! It sounds like you are getting slightly better performance out of your Sandisk 45MB/s cards than I am getting out of my Extreme Pro's, so maybe I won't drop the $120 on a 64gb Extreme Pro just yet. I had my lens wide open in relatively high ISO conditions last evening when my camera wouldn't run SH mode for more than 28 seconds. I still don't understand why it will reliably run 24H at 143Mb/s....?

Also, I left you some questions about your video as far as whether you had some Glidecam action in there and/or some GoPro, and what lenses you used on the GH2 for it? If you want to answer them here, no need for redundant answers in both places. Phenomenal video! :)

• Another video I shot with Moon T7. Let me know what you think.

• @Tjabo I did some calculations a while back and 45MB/s cards should have more than enough write speed to handle most any patch; having said that, I'd still rather have 95MB/s cards. I answered your questions on the vimeo page, but I'll answer them here too. No glidecam with the GH2; I used a Zenitar 18/2.8 fisheye (M42 mount) with a M42 to FD adapter and the FD SpeedBooster. As for a rig, it's this thing:

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Professional-Camcorder-Stabilizing-Handle-/dp/B003PBB4ME/ref=sr_1_3/188-8401724-4787023?ie=UTF8&qid=1384957537&sr=8-3&keywords=camera+rig

I ride a Black Label semi-cruiser board with OJ wheels that are pretty soft so the ride is super smooth. The only GoPro footage was the shots of the guy in the waterslide (you can kind of tell because I couldn't get it to really match the GH2 footage...color grading n00b). The rest of the shots were mostly the kit 14-42, the long shot across the go kart tracks was with the Panasonic 45-200, and then there were a few shots with a Toyo 28/2.8.

@babak GoPro footage (Hero 3, silver) was shot at 1280x960/30fps, interpreted to 24fps to calm some of the bouncy-ness. All of the rest was shot 1080/24fps in 24p Cinema mode; with the exception of the shot of the guy Bam-dropping off the bridge. That was 720/60fps in SH mode, with a tiny bit of time remapping in Premier. I'm using the Trial 7 set that is at actual 24 and 60fps.

@matt_gh2 Thanks! It's been my favorite of these lookbooks that I've been shooting.

• @powderbanks, thank you for the answer here and on Vimeo!!! Were you able to use SH mode with the kit lens on AFC for any length of time? I have gotten almost 2 minutes out of it using a Nikon 50mm AF lens on a wide aperture, but the other end of the spectrum is an average of only about 10 seconds with the 14-42 lens on AFC at f8.

Some of the sharpest looking footage I have gotten so far was with the kit lens on 14mm at f10, 1/125, 160 ISO, with manual focus left in place at somewhere around a 15ft focus distance. I got about 1 minute 50 seconds out of that, which is pretty similar to what I got with the Nikon 50mm I guess...

Time to move on to SpizZ T6 I guess. SH mode seems to be where I want to be, and it's not quite happening for me with the Moon T7.

@kevin_kirchman, crazygood vid! Laughed my but off!!! :)

• Thanks @tjabo ! I really appreciate the feedback. Id ask for votes but I think it's too late for that as one entrant has over a million subscribers and already 20x the 2nd closest lol.

• @powderbanks, thanks for the detailed answer, really appreciated. Again, your video looks really great. I also like how the 'characters' are built up, almost like a narrative film.
    Well sadly I cannot get T7 to work for me (except only once, just to see how great the image quality was)

• Been awhile since I posted. Here's a short video with Moon T7:

• What settings are people using with Moon T7? @driftwood Was it created to use standard settings 0,0,0,0?

• @T1000, beautiful footage, which setting was that in Moon T7? I don't know if I'm using the terminology correctly to ask that...? I'm guessing it is 24H, because that gives the greatest bitrate (I'm guessing that is what people really like), and also the motion as you pan up the tree looks a little jittery, kind of like what I saw with the 24H.

@babak, what is your lens, settings, and card setup that hasn't liked Moon T7 at all?

I completed some initial tests with SpizZ T6 a short while ago, and overall my camera liked it less than it liked Moon T7. With my same 32gig Extreme Pro 95MB/s card (that writes at a max speed of 82MB/s from my testing), I can't even get 2 full minutes of "H" mode with AFC on. Across the board, everything that bound on Moon T7 bound up just a little bit sooner on SpizZ T6.

I'll get some additional video tomorrow when I have some light again, as the sun was setting when I was shooting with the SpizZ -- I had to get all the way up to ISO 1600. In the fading light, the SpizZ T6 gave the impression that the image quality was less than with Moon T7.

If I get a chance tomorrow in good light, I may run quickly through some comparison shots on the Glidecam with SpizZ T6, Moon T7, and Drewnet T9. In order to get quickly through them, I will probably just do some shots in H mode with AFC, and then some in SH with manual focus that seems to give me up to about a minute 50 and seconds. So far, those shots in Moon T7 have been my favorite.

• @edgenumbers I use Smooth -2-2-2-2.

• @Tjabo Thanks! I'm using Smooth -2-2-2-2 @ 24H. Yes the motion is jittery. Filmed at 1/60. Youtube compression also messed with the quality in the clips with the leaves.

• @Tjabo 24p will give jittery motion. Use higher frame rate or higher shutter speed. 1/125 and above will reduce jittery motion when filming 24p but you'll need more light depending on the scenery.

• A wedding video my buddy and I shot. He filmed with canon t2i and I used gh2.

• @T1000: Hmm, if I use Smooth -2 -2 -2 -2, I'd get very flat image. Obviously your video is not straight from GH2, i.e. post graded, right? Which WB did you use?

• @victorgh2, nice video! From having used my T3i and now the GH3, I think I can tell the footage apart (my GH2 shoots sharper, higher resolution looking shots than my T3i), can you say at all which shots were with which camera?

Also, what was the setup of your cameras as far as lenses and firmware hacks/settings/framerates, etc.? Very curious!

• @Producer - The best image comes from a flat profile or log profile. As for white balance I used indoor white balance (little light bulb icon) and went green on the white balance grid. Doing so will give the footage a blueish tint. To fix it I used the RGB Color Corrector to fix the white balance. This is a noise reduction technique specific only to the GH2. See the following video from the Drew Network:

• Hi all, here is a video I did for a local charity LostCatsBrighton back in July. It was shot on a GH2 (Moon 7) & a G5 as the second camera.

• Shot with Moon T7 and Contax Zeiss lenses:

Also, if you like the video, please feel free to vote for it in the MOGAanywhere video contest at https://review.wizehive.com/voting/view/mogamegavideo/19440/1682915

• @jasonthomas77 @pcristoph for your great videos you have used moon t7 ver. E(23.983p) or D(24p)? Thanks

• @pchristoph for color grading video of vodka, which softwere did you use and moon t7 D(24) or E(23.98)?

• I tested Nebula T7 and Spizz T6 a bit last night and was surprised to find that spizz was more stable than nebula on my camera. Nebula would crash on high ISO settings with OIS turned on using a Sandisk Ultra 30MB/s card on 24H, but operated fine at lower ISO's. Spizz oddly enough worked fine at all settings with the Ultra card. Moon is a no go, definitely need an Extreme Pro card for that (budget doesn't allow it currently unforunately). All the tests I did were about 7 minute clips as I was short on time, I'll see how well they hold up on 32GB and 64GB cards with high movement subjects (snow storm currently happening in northern Colorado). Putting this out there for anyone wanting to use Cluster X on slower cards.

• @IVIaverick52

Nebula would crash on high ISO settings with OIS turned on using a Sandisk Ultra 30MB/s card on 24H

May I ask you what lenses you used and what "high ISO" means? Maybe 3200? :-)

• This is my latest work(only the teaser) done with moon t7 I used a mix of fd50 fd35

• @fomalhaut3 wow molto bello!!!! moon t7 e o d?

• @formalhaut3 you are a true artist! :)

@IVIaverick52, did you test any settings other than 24H, and were you using AFC at all? 24H has worked for me with every hack so far under all conditions, but SH on Moon T7 and SpizZ T6 is giving me fits unless I go to manual focus. Then I can get about 2 minutes out of it before it shuts off because of insufficient write speed on my card (it says).

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters