Personal View site logo
Lens tests on the BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera (BMPCC)
  • 232 Replies sorted by
  • Now to 16 and 18mm, where we had more choice. Apart from offers for larger sensors or MFT, there are quite a few C-mount lenses. I tested a Kern Switar 16mm 1:1.8, a Schneider Cinegon 16mm 1:1.4, a Zeiss Tevidon 16mm 1:1.8 plus a Fujinon TV zoom starting at 18mm 1:2.5 and the Schneider variogon. Surprisingly even the Kern Switar – which was made for N-16 – covered the sensor.

The zoom (probably made for 2/3")is pretty weak on this sensor, it doesn't vignette, but it's very soft in the corners and doesn't get much better when stopping down. All three primes were OK, they had less distortion than the Lumix zoom 12-35mm @16. Wide open they were all a bit soft, but improved considerably when closed down to 2.8.

The best one in 16mm was the Zeiss Tevidon, which is also quite small and light (80 grams). At 2.8 it was even better than the Lumix in the corners, it's only drawback was the short throw of the aperture ring, which is also very easily moved by the lightest touch. Beware of sample variation again, seems I was lucky.

And finally, there's the Schneider Variogon 18-90mm 1:2.0, a serious cine zoom. Not really wide for the BMPCC, but a fantastic lens, a bit low contrast WO, but nearly distortion free, no CA and getting sharp when only one stop closed. Very good build quality, buttery smooth zoom, focus and 5-sided aperture (with T-stop marking) but nearly twice as heavy as the camera, you'll want a lens support for this. I found mine in excellent condition below 300,- €, but that might change soon when the camera is out in numbers.

• @CRFilms The camera is gone by now. They supplied a card with it, a Sandisk Extreme (non Pro) 64 GB. The Pro version works too, as you'd expect. A Transcend 32 GB class 10 didn't work. But please let's reserve this thread to lenses, there's a general thread on the camera too.

@peaceonearth There must be big differences, mine was not as soft.

• our friend Seb Farges used the Cosmicar on a GH2. Nice video for special purpose but the lens is very very soft.

• Could you do a few SD card tests or let us know what cards you're using? PBloom just twittered all his cards didn't work, and somebody else made a video showing the new cheaper Sony 95mbs cards did work well.

• While the Lumix 12-35mm is undoubtedly a great lens, it's not cheap and it distorts without correction.

The Schneider Cinegon 12mm 1:1.9 was a big disappointment. While it looks impressive, has great mechanics and a large front lens, it vignettes. And I don't mean some darkening in the corners: they are black and the area next to them is blurred. It simply doesn't cover. A Kern Switar 12mm didn't cover either, but that was to be expected.

A cheap Cosmicar 12.5mm 1:1.4 was a surprise, though. It covers, even if it's a TV lens. At 1.4 it was still a bit soft, but at 2.8, where the Lumix zoom starts, it didn't look bad at all for a fraction of the price. Pretty low distortion too, but the corners are a bit darker (not black). It has smooth mechanics and a funky sawtooth bokeh like some Cookes. I'm not sure if they are all like this, since a few manufacturers worked under that label. For less than 30,- € it was worth a try. It's very light too, some 130 grams, while the beautiful 12mm Hyperprime would weigh 324 grams and be much more expensive.

• Now getting manual/vintage. Other than pro S-16 glass from Zeiss, Angenieux, there is not a lot of choice out there without vignetting. The S-16 certified lenses will cost you more than the camera in good condition and they won't be small or lighweigt, being PL-mount. So, I was looking into C-mount and found two nice lenses from Schneider and Zeiss (Jena) in 10mm (anything wider was vignetting). The Schneider Cinegon 10mm 1:1.8 is a wonderful lens, very well built and still small. Both focus and aperture operate smoothly. It is nearly free of distortion or vignetting and while a tad soft WO, it improves considerably when stopped down. BUT (there's always a but,right) it doesn't show that often in good used condition any more and I doubt you'll get it for less than 300,- €. Beware of the smaller version, it doesn't cover the sensor. The one that works has a huge front lens and the front part in silver, the rear in black. It fits most C-mount adapters without modification.

The only good alternative I found is the Zeiss Tevidon 10mm 1:2.0. It has very low distortion and covers, is even smaller than the Schneider and can be found in good condition for less than 200,- €. So, what to watch out for? Well, being a product from a communist era, the sample variation is massive. I found one that was even sharper than the Schneider in the corners WO, while another one was quite soft and even a bit de-centered (without showing any visible damage from the outside). So, go for a seller with a decent return policy. Then there is a bayonet version (no adapters that I know of) and a C-mount version. They are easy to replace with just three screws and there is one seller from China (Yeenon) offering a replacement that fits thin C-mount adapters right away (25,- U$ plus shipping). If you buy the original C-mount version, you'll need to get off about 1.2mm at the outer rim with a lathe. Not hard to do, since the ring can be separated from the lens. You'll need a very thin adapter, but they are easily available from China.

The focus rings are both nice, the aperture ring has nearly no dampening on the Zeiss, both are clickless. The Zeiss has a triangular bokeh at small apertures, even if there are more blades and is circular at large apertures, the Schneider's is square. In the photos you can see the version of the Cinegon you have to look for on the left and the modification on the rear of the Tevidon you'll need where the underlying brass becomes visible on the right.

Cinegon_10mm.jpg
    600 x 843 - 98K
    Tevidon_10mm.jpg
    600 x 600 - 78K
  • @IronFilm can you give more info on the computar 12.5 - 75?...lens quality...does it vignette?..is it sharp?

• A few observations on AF and IS:

Tested with various Panny and Oly lenses: AF is slow and tends to overshoot nevertheless, only useable for focusing before a shoot. Finally, it's spot on, though.

IS is great on the Lumix 12-35mm, no obvious side-effects like 'sticking' pans I know from some still lenses. This seems to be the best lens for handheld work until now.

• @cantsin you're right, I tought instinctively after years with the GHxs that the BMPCC also uses macroblocking- but it is indeed native 1920x1080 sensor :-/

• Thanks.

• Sorry, I don't have access to that lens and the camera is going back now anyway.

• Thanks. Is that possible to do a test on 8mm FE lens? I am thinking about using this combination underwater. Many thanks.

• You can't add lens correction to a native 1080p sensor without reducing its resolution. (It's besides the point of a raw camera anyway.) If you want corrected MFT system lenses, grab a GHx.

• They won't add lens correction because that would make them slaves to Panasonic's system, and BM is about independence and breaking the existing paradigms.

• Thank you for sharing info @nomad :-)

I hope they can add lens-corrections to the firmware down the road.

Great idea, @tosvus, why not actually- the BM should really consider to do that.

• Being a TV lens, the Computar 12.5 - 75mm should be parfocal when shimmed correctly.

But does it vignette at the wide end or not?

• How does the auto focus do with the 14mm?

• Sure, they work – apart from some needing modification of the rear diameter. But I never found one that is spot on regarding distance scales. They go all beyond infinity, some quite a bit, and the rest consequently isn't correct either. I found this with cheap Chinese no-brands for less than 10 € all the way to shiny Metabones adapters. And, yes, I know the difference regarding CS ;-)

It's no big thing for primes, you'll just loose some NFD, but no zoom will ever be parfocal that way.

If you found a C-mount adapter that is spot on, please tell us the source. BTW, all the top brands I tested like Schneider, Kern, Arri etc. were correct on a 16mm camera.

• @tron ha, it is very very very very far from being parfocal! I used a 99c C-mount adapter from eBay, same as I use with all my other ones.

@nomad I use heaps of C mount lenses, many many of them work great without modification. In fact, I've never modified one yet! (if however you get a CS mount lens... then you'll likely run into serious trouble. C and CS mount lenses look the same though with their screw)

@MarcioK you'd have to either use a 2x tele-extender (what I do with my GH1) or ETC mode with your GH2. But on a BMPCC it doesn't need any of that help, due to the 3x crop factor vs the roughly 2x for most other m4/3 cameras.

• Thanks for lens update. I was wondering about the Lumix lenses w/o correction.

• Any C-mount lens will need careful shimming on a C-mount adapter. I have not yet found a single one that is right from the start.

• @TheNewDeal The Computar 12.5-75 vignettes in the GH2?

• @IronFilm Is the 12.5-75mm parfocal, and is backfocus good-to-go with a standard C-mount adapter? Thanks.

• @IronFilm Doesn't the Panny 14mm distort too?

@tosvus I doubt it has the computing power for realtime corrections. Plus, the resolution of the sensor stays limited, so you'll loose some either way. It's a very different situation with a photo sensor.

• Interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing some basic footage shot with that Computar 12.5-75. I also used that lens on a GH2.

Thanks for the update.