Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Lens tests on the BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera (BMPCC)
  • 232 Replies sorted by
  • If you guys haven't seen it, I shot this on a pocket. Mostly Samyang 24/35/85, a Nikon 50/1.4 and a 14mm Panny. Metabones Speedbooster was used here an there.

Technical stuff and blog article: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/2013/09/18/the-1-shooting-a-short-with-the-bmc-pocket-and-much-coffee/

• @FrankGlencairn Yeah, I saw it earlier and it's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to getting one of these cameras. Great short - very nicely shot and nice story as well.

• Hello everyone, I want to share my own experience with some c-mount lens. I've also metabones c-mount adapter and i'm waiting for another one

Computar 12.5-75 f1.2 (serial 174566) The lens vignetting, need modification for infinity focus too. I think the mod is feasible.

Rainbow 8-48 f1 - H6X8-II (serial 127745) Similar problem of the computar one.

Canon 17-102 f2 - V6x17 Perfect! Seems to work very fine, it's parfocal and i will publish some video during this weekend.

Angenieux 10mm f1.8 R21 Retrofocus Little vignetting, usable without modification (i use to crop the aspect from 1:85 to 2:35 so that kind of vignetting isn't a real problem for me)

Anyway I'm trying to collect any kind of useful information about the computar and the rainbow to make the modification... Ciao

• @matthere

It doesn't really look fisheye, shooting through the center like that. I don't particularly like the look of wide rectilinear lenses and prefer a bit of bow. Looks very usable to me for ultra-wide but not skater video wide ;)

• @FrankGlencairn Splendid work, really it's the internal mic with juicelink?

• It's external for sure, you can't use the internal with a pre-amp.

In my experience the audio in the BMPCC is quite OK when fed line level by a per-amp,

• I can confirm the audio is more than fine when feeding it line level audio. Just make sure the BMPCC's sensitivity is set to match the preamps output (i.e. -10 or +4)

• @redcomet Did you get a chance to post some footage with the Canon 17-102? I'd be interested to see how it performs at the wide end of the zoom.

• @digger tomorrow i will be in a splendid location to test out some lens! I hope the videos will be ready for sunday. Anyway i have some serious problem with Resolve 10 lite. At the beginning it seemed to work fine but now i have a problem with video hdd, all my clips are blackened and I've tried everything but I could not solve the problem..

• is there a difference between the schneider kreuznach arriflex cine xenon 16mm f2 and the schneider kreuznach xenon 16mm f2 (regarding the usability on the bmpc)? i have seen both lenses with a significant price difference...

• Quick test on canon 17-102

• Footage looks soft, feels very SD rather than HD when compared with images in The One (above)

• Probably the F22. Not bad for a very diffracted old lens, though.

Still considering getting one m'self to play around with... really wish the Kowa zooms worked, though.

• They come cheap, you should find one around 50,- Euro.

At f22 diffraction would soften it considerably on the small sensor.

• Hi guys, i'm thinking to take BMPCC (if it is possible...), and i have with me a CV 17,5mm. The crazy idea (for me) is that 50mm is simply too much (in fact i sold my panaleica 25mm to take the 17,5mm on Gh2 and Em5 system).

So i was thinking to the slr magic 12mm t1.6. Does anyone know if there's too much distortion with it? It would be a perfect 35mm equivalent.

Maybe will sell the Voigtlander for this. I know, it's the perfect lens, but not as wide as i would like to have on the Pocket sensor.

• I really like the slr magic 12mm in the pocket cam. It's wide enough that I can go hand held without the jitters and is fast enough to get decent shallow DOF when I want. The voigtlander 17.5 is nice too but too long for hand held without stabilization

• @grierdill

Thanks. But what about distortion? Just too much or can go without problems? I'm afraid of this cause would be my only "doitall" lens.

thanks.

• Playing around with my Black Magic Pocket Cam for the first time – thought I'd kill two birds with one stone and made it a quick audition video for an actress. The first shot is the voigtlander 25mm and the second, closer shot, is the voigtlander 50mm (m-mount with adaptor). Graded quickly in After Effects.

• @kingmixer

I love the skintones coming out of the camera. Gorgeous lenses. (shutter speed still looks 'off' though)

• thanks, I'll try playing with shutter speed and see if i figure it out. i think it was set to 180deg. Are you talking about needing to compensate for 60hz lighting?

• @kingmixer, there's a bug in the firmware that makes motion blur at 180 look more like 360. The workaround for right now is to shoot 172.8 instead.

• @Renovatio the distortion on the 12mm is negligible. I've never once noticed it even on interiors with lots of straight lines. The only thing I don't like about it is how small the focus ring is and the large amount of resistance it has. I think their new cine housing coming out soon will fix that though.

• @grierdill

Thanks

@Oedipax

I did not know this bug, hope they fix soon.

• @redcomet

Does the Canon 17-102 focus to infinity and is it parfocal?

• @oedipax I didn't know about this bug either. Thanks for sharing.