Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Lens tests on the BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera (BMPCC)
  • 232 Replies sorted by
  • @nomad

My bad, it does work, indeed! (you learn something new every day) :) Good times!

• Just ordered an adapter from Ciecio7. Communication over ebay messages as been good. The product looks great from the ebay pictures and description/specifications. Though it was not overly expensive (definitely not cheap) it was priced as a professional product. From that standpoint I am expecting a lifetime of quality use.

As far as c-mount to micro 4/3's adapters go, the Metabones looks to be top of the line based on the materials used, not sure about the ramifications of the design. I might try one in the future when the Aluminum ones I have wear in threads. Right now I have been using the one from the Hawk's Factory which allows as much depth as possible to seat the c-mount lens, though it is not a flat/slim adapter. On that note sometimes you have to grind the lens to get it to seat far enough towards the sensor to get focus to infinity, so if you are grinding the lens anyway the Metabones adapter will "most likely" not be a problem, but one will need to test for one's self.

• We have an adapter for PL to MFT from ciecio7, and it's worth every cent, really pro-grade.

• These little primes from Canon in the TV-16 line are really special, even the 13mm 1:1.5 covers.

I tested the Canon against the Cosmicar 12.5 and the Lumix 12-35mm @12mm now, and it is definitely softer. It has funky distortion, even more than the uncorrected Lumix and the light-weigt and cheap Cosmicar has less distortion than both. The Cosmicar is sharper from the start than the Canon and has less CA (but still some).

At 2.8 the Cosmicar is at least as sharp in the center as the Lumix! It's always a bit more greenish than the others. it has about the same viewing angle as the Lumix set to 12mm, so either the Cosmicar is wider than 12.5 or the Lumix isn't as wide as it claims.

The Canon never get's too sharp in the corners, but it has "character". It's warmer, has some soft haloes WO and very nice bokeh with it's 10 blades. Very good build quality too, the Cosmicar with it's thin aluminum tube can't stand a bump, the Canon sure does.

• These are nice lenses, but they are pretty large and don't come in very wide versions.

Rather go for the Tevidon series from Zeiss Jena, they were made for one inch sensors (or tubes) and start at 10mm. Excellent for the small camera.

For both series keep in mind that production from the communist era has massive sample variation. They were capable of making very good glass, but end control was sloppy (even if Lenin said something like "trust is good, control is better").

• Nobody has tested Pentax auto 110 lenses on the BMPCC? The 18mm 2.8 (fixed iris) is not too bad on my GH2..it would be interesting to test it, they are very cheap and incredible small lenses :)

• Anybody around who has successfully adopted the Cosmicar 12.5 to 75 zoom to a MFT adapter going to infinity and can confirm that it covers the BMPCC completely, even around 18mm?

There is too much contradictory information floating around. I have one sitting here, but before taking it apart for machining down the rear, I'd like to know if it's worth the effort.

TIA

• I am pretty impressed about the Lumix 7-14. Only handicap is a missing filter mount as sometimes in 200ASA and bright sunlight f=22 ain't enough. Mr Bloom adapted a filter by putting it over the sunshade - does anybody know what size the ring should have? A 67mm filter threads fit inside of the hood very snug but you need a big filter outside and you have to cover light leakage. Outside mount would probably more useful

http://instagram.com/p/dkBibnKKi3/#

• @AlbertZ I have a few Pentax A110 lenses (18mm, 24mm, and 50mm) and a BMPCC. I haven't really tried them in any serious way on my BMPCC yet because I don't have any step-up rings to get filters on them (and I suspect that a ring for the 24mm will look ridiculous with even my smallest filters, that sucker is SMALL). It's a fairly overcast day today, though, and I suspect it will be for the next few days, I can probably get some usable exposures. I could certainly take it out and shoot a little bit of footage for you. Would some boring landscapes and leaves be good enough?

• @eatstoomuchjam A white wall would be enough at first, I think most of us first are just interested to see sensor coverage. We can pixel peep the IQ if they actually cover the sensor!

• I had the pentax 110's on aps-c (nex) and that only showed minor vignetting (but full coverage, just a tad darkened vignetting), i can imagine it will be more good coverage wise on the bmpc's small sensor.

• @JuMo I just tried the 18mm and 24mm lenses and they show no obvious signs of vignetting (I didn't bother with the 50 - but from what I recall, it was fine), but that's not too surprising given that they were made to cover 110 film (13x17mm) and the BMPCC is closer to Super 16 (approx. 7.5x12.5mm).

• @eatstoomuchjam cool, good to know! Thanks!

• @eatstoomuchjam @JuMo @kritzresn @JuMo Very happy to stimulate your tests on Pentax 110 Lenses :) Coverage is ok (even on m43 standard is pretty good), hope to see in the future some test, they are very cheap and practical lenses ;)

• anyone put the tamron 17-50 2.8 on the bmpc yet with or without speedbooster?

• @lmackreath
    I've seen that lens + Speedbooster tested on the BMPCC here:

• I was wondering if this setup would be a problem. Since I own Canon FD lenses, I was going to get the Speedboost FD >m43. I also want to purchase the Sigma 18-35 f1.8. I was thinking of getting it as a Nikon mount then putting a Nikon>FD adapter. Would that work? Or would I run into focusing issues? Would doing it the other way around work better?

• @Greek_m43 To achieve infinity focus with Nikon on FD mount the adapter needs corrective glass. This is not recommended. It will likely teleconvert your lens, you'll lose light transmission and overall IQ will be noticeably degraded. You could try it, but I would be VERY surprised if you got a decent image out of that setup.

• @JuMo Thanks for responding... Maybe I should purchase new 50 and 85mm Nikon glass instead.

• @Greek_m43 No problem. I'm shooting on an FD set with the FD to m43 speed booster and I love it. I also can't help but lust over the Sigma, and I might look at picking it up in the future, but I do not regret my investment into the FD speed booster, it's simply amazing on the BMPCC.

• @JuMo I'm excited for the adapter! I just need to get lenses on the wider side that are fast

• @nomad or any other collaborative soul?
    Could you please give me some insights on how to shim (or where to get shimmed) a Canon TV Zoom 15-150 in order to get it to focus properly?
    Right now it can focus only on the longer end.
    Your help will be much appreciated.

• Fujinon Tv Zoom 14-84mm f/1.6 and Schneider Cinegon RX 10mm F/1.8 (wide shots of the fall)

Little dark corners but still usable.

• @nachelsoul Great looking shots, man! I´ve bought the SK 16mm recently and I´m looking for testing it on my awaited pocket! Thanks for sharing!