Personal View site logo
GoPro Hero3 , 4K is here in Baby Steps for $399.99!
  • 642 Replies sorted by
  • No probs, only to happy t help.

Just to clarify for others who might be reading, you still have Protune mode, just that the data rate is now 35mbps instead of 45mbps with Sandisc cards, all other cards the camera still records 45mbps in Protune mode.

• @trevmar It's worth a look at the link Rambo posted...suryaprihadi has done exhaustive work on cards for the GP's. Very informative and he's a heck of a nice fellow too.

• Seems like they also removed the Exposure Lock for Timelapse in the latest Firmware. :( Some Bugs don't need fixing.

• @Rambo: "you still have Protune mode, just that the data rate is now 35mbps instead of 45mbps with Sandisk cards"

Oh - that's not so bad then. Again, thanks for the detailed info.

• And one isn't required to install the firmware update, after all. If the file transfer functions in the app are not needed I don't see other reasons to install the new firmware.

Fran

• one isn't required to install the firmware update

Yes, that is true. I will update one of my H3B, and leave the other where it is. Will post any differences, as I note them...

• On my first recording with the new firmware, the card (Sandisk 64GB) stopped recording after a few min. Tried recording again, and on lower settings but nothing helped. Then I got the SD ERR after I restarted the camera. Haven't had time to look into it further, since I'm on vacation.

On the bright side, Adobe released a lens correction profile for all GoPros to fully correct distortion in photos and video. Available on Adobe Photoshop CC, ACR 8.2, and Lightroom 5.2. Can't wait to try it out, and compare with AE's Optics Compensation filter.

• I tried the new firmware and everything went great. My 64 Gb Sandisk card now records at 38 mb/sec and my transcend 64 GB card records at the full 49 mb/sec. The good thing is that now my Sandisk card can actually record without failing.

• @mpgxsvcd Yes, that is my initial experience too. I tested my worst Sandisk 64G card (out of 10), yet it now recorded 2K7 CIN 24T Protune continuously until the display showed "FULL" at 4hrs 2 minutes, datarate 35MBps, without any problem. Although, through the first three hours of the recording, the display was counting down to the 3hr card capacity which I would have gotten at the 45Mbps datarate.

Strangely, I have seen no folder or file containing any numbers on my cards yet. I will try the Samsung Pro out now, and report back after I get more. This behavior actually could be a useful way to get a longer recording session out of each card - 4hrs is longer than 3hrs - and if it is only B-roll - (insert Devilish thoughts here)...

The firmware version I downloaded last night is 3.00, and says it was a 29th July release. I wonder how much longer the battery lasts at the lower data rate. I usually get about 1hr30 at the non-protune 35Mbps and 1hr15 at the 45Mbps Protune settings - (Wifi off, no LCD) - I need to test that as well...

• I think GoPro should be commended here. They came up with a fix here for Sandisk's defective memory cards that actually has some benefits(Longer Recording time).

This just screams class action lawsuit against Sandisk. They should simply recall all of these memory cards before some lawyer decides to force them to do it.

• The problem with the Sandisk cards is that occasionally, not very often, it takes the card a long time to find a new sector for writing into. So the time between when a new sector is sent to the card, and the operation is completed, extends to 750msec on my worst cards. This is quite easy to measure with IOmeter. So it is not really a problem with average write speed, but with occasional very slow response. I think a legal case would be hard to construct, as no card manufacturer guarantees its garbage-clean-up performance. The average write-speed is usually not affected so much.

All SDXC cards have the same behavior, regardless of manufacturer, it is just that most manufacturers keep the maximum latency under about 250msec. Which is still pretty slow, IMO. I suspect all card latencies rise as time goes by...

• @trevmar

That makes sense. I didn't realize that was the case. Oh well Sandisk doesn't have many happy customers now. That is the bottom line. I just hope those customers don't blame GoPro entirely for this.

• @mpgxsvcd

It is good thing as allows to understand how crappy are controllers and overall design. It also applies to many SSDs.

• Seems like there is a bug involving the "extended life" batteries and the camera itself, it's a bug I thought would surely be fixed about 2 firmwares ago lol. @rambo if you can pass this on, or know something I should try with my cameras (maybe power cycle the batteries somehow??) to get the battery add on to work properly I would greatly appreciate it. This battery issue alone scares me too much to take these cameras serious enough for any kind of paid project in fear they will stop working in the middle of whatever is going on.

• @mpgsxvcd "I think GoPro should be commended here"

I do not. They do not deserve commendation, based on what I have seen. I have programmed embedded systems, and led programming teams, so I am comparing what they have done with what they could have done. My conclusion is that they have done a sloppy job, for the following reasons.

1. They only check the Manufacturer of the card, and make no attempt to see if it is fast enough or not. My fastest Sandisk, which are perfectly reliable at 45Mbps, are forced to record at 35Mbps.

2. The countdown clock showing how much time is left is not adjusted when you put in a slow card. It counts down to 00:00 and then stays showing that for the last hour of filming at 35Mbps. In addition, they have not fixed the minutes and seconds juxtaposition countdown error, which has been around since version 1.0

3. No attempt is made to indicate to the user what has happened (see countdown above, for example)

4. There are more elegant ways of handling the issue, such as giving the user an option to drop to 35Mbps even with the faster manufacturers, for example.

Yes, I am a hard taskmaster, but when commendations are handed out for "fixes" (remember GoPro recommended Sandisk cards right up until a few days ago) those fixes need to be creative and well-executed, IMO.

As an example, they could have provided a menu item for Protune 35Mbps and another for Protune 45Mbps (rather than the current single Protune selector). If 45Mbps is selected, and a slow card is installed, the display could show "SLOW" and refuse to allow that mode to be selected.

• @subco As far as I can see, the 3.00 firmware doesn't do a speed test. It just checks for the manufacturer. When I tested the three 64GB SanDisk cards which I have previously selected (out of 10) as working well at 45Mbps, they were downgraded in speed the same as the worst of the bunch of 10. People have been complaining that the newer SanDisk cards (Extreme Pro) are downgraded the same as the older UHS-1. I have seen no evidence of any actual speed test in any of my testing :)

The reason I suggested SLOW was there are only 4 characters on the front LCD display, I think. But your 35Mb would be a much better indication, I agree. Easier to figure out what was happening :)

• Are we set for a GoPro 4 announcement next week. They tend to announce around the same time as apple which will be 9/10/2013.

Could we see 4K @ 30 FPS and 2K @ 120 FPS? Will you upgrade if that is the case?

http://wideopencamera.com/cameras/gopro-hero-4-what-we-might-expect-4k-30-fps-2k-120-fps/

• I will upgrade iff

1. The battery lasts longer than the current 1hr 15mins on 2K7 Protune, or

2. The lens is significantly better, or interchangeable

• not sure if this is the 3 or not, still cool

• GP4 already? I will skip it.

• Finally - there is defisheye in Gopro studio 2 for video and for pictures in ACR and lightroom in official update .2 Both work quite well.

• @konjow

there have been other methods of doing this Prodad has had one out a little while I also think red giant might have one? or it's built into magic bullet?

http://www.prodad.com/home/products/video_optimization/300546449,l-us.html

• @GravitateMediaGroup I know there are other methods but this is defishing during trancoding. Saving time for render and adjusting settings again in AE or MBL or even Prodad which is windows only if I remember correctly. And It is using good presets. Just letting people know about new option. You can use any of many options I like this one :)

• Nothing special. Just capture my daughter when she was playing around when I took her with me to do aerial filming but all this was defished in GP studio (1080p wide)