Personal View site logo
Panasonic G6 topic, GH2 replacement camera
  • 1330 Replies sorted by
  • @neokoo

Is it necessary to go through all those steps to get manual control when shooting video?

I thought the G6 had a fully manual mode.

• @Ralph_B That was just for specific way of shooting emory asked about.

G6 manual video mode works very much like on GH2 - set mode dial to manual video mode, set exposure mode in menu, and that's it. Shutter speed and aperture can be adjusted either as on GH2, with rear dial and pressing to switch between them, or with rear dial controlling shutter speed and function lever controlling aperture.

• One thing I've noticed that is very annoying, is that unlike GH series, G6 does not have constant preview in still photo modes, one that would show depth of field and shutter speed as they really are. There is a Preview function that shows depth of field and exposure correctly, but only at slow refresh rate no matter the shutter speed. It is a poor substitute.

In manual movie mode, however, constant preview is always on (as it should be) and works very well.

Could there be any technical reason for constant preview being disabled in still photo modes on this camera?

• Thanks very much, neokoo, for your helpful responses.

One more question: I would love to assign AE/AF lock to the fn1button and video record start/stop (motion picture button) to the fn button -- simply because that's the finger placement I'm used to on the GH-1. According to the user manual, that doesn't seem possible. Can you corroborate this? Thanks for a short reply.

• Thanks very much, neokoo, for your helpful responses.

One more question: I would love to assign AE/AF lock to the fn1 button and video record start/stop (motion picture button) to the fn 2 button -- simply because that's the finger placement I'm used to on the GH-1. According to the user manual, that doesn't seem possible. Can you corroborate this? Thanks for a short reply.

(Sorry for the double posting. I just saw I could have edited the typo in the first one.)

• GH2 have an AFS, AFC, MF switch. Whether it is possible to assign to G6 on the Fn buttons a choice of a method of focusing? It is possible to change a method choice during the video record?

• @emory It is possible to assign AF/AE LOCK to Fn1. I have not found any way to assign video record start/stop to Fn2.

@NewVeles It is possible to assign "Focus Mode" menu to Fn buttons. When pressed, it shows four choices: AFS, AFF, AFC, MF. Choices can be selected and activated in following ways:

• selection and activation immediately by touching
    • selection with rear dial and activation by pressing it
    • selection with cursor buttons and activation with MENU/SET button or half-pressing shutter button
    • selection by pressing Fn button repeatedly to cycle through choices and activation with MENU/SET button or half-pressing shutter button

I have not found any way to change focus mode during video recording.

• Wow! Thanks very much, neokoo, for your helpful responses.

• I have been shooting GH2 with a Driftwood Quantum hack using Nostalgic picture profile for the past year I am about to buy a G6 (via this forums great price deal) Does anyone who has used the G6 know which picture profile on the G6 is similar to Nostalgic on the GH2?

thanks Andy Lee

• ..for some reason the link to the advanced manual doesn't work - go here and jump thru the hoops - it's the 16mb file

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/LUMIX+Digital+Cameras/LUMIX+G+Compact+System+Cameras/DMC-G6/Manuals/12502230/index.html

• @neokoo

You were bombarded with questions yesterday, and you fielded them all with patience and dexterity. Thanks again!

• @emory @NewVeles

No problem, answering helps to learn the camera better :)

• neokoo: Do You hold on "Delete" key 10 sec. on the body to open HDMI video output? Thank You

• @NURBS

Tried that, holding "Delete" button for 10 seconds does not enable HDMI output in recording modes on my G6. Is there a specific power on and button sequence you expect to work?

On GH2 all that is needed is connecting HDMI cable in recording mode. I would assume that if HDMI output was enabled on G6, it should work in same way.

If you have more info on possible HDMI output on G6 (service mode button codes etc.) post here or PM.

• I have a DMW-BLC12PP battery left over from a stolen GH2. My G6 is supposed to ship next week. Anyone know if this battery will work in the G6?

• @CurtisMack I'm using same batteries on G6 as on GH2, mine are BLC12E. Not sure about what the letters "E" or "PP" mean, but in G6 basic operating instructions it says only "DMW-BLC12" without any letters.

• FZ200, G5, G6 GH2= same batterys.

• Is it sure the crop factor in 16:9 video mode is 2x? Thanks

• Thanks. I'm thinking for the future (not now, no money XD) to take this g6 with CV 17.5mm.

• For G series cameras crop factor in 16:9 mode is about 2.18x

• Here, i knew XD people that says the gh2 crop factor is less than 2x, people that says the g6 has a 2x crop factor, who says not...i would like to have 35mm aspect at the end (yeah, just to say it has a film look)...not 38,15mm...i guess..

• http://www.eoshd.com/comments/uploads/gallery/album_46/gallery_17754_46_2903381.png

Same sensor, but..there's a but. Can you see crop factor in the gh2 on the left makes it wider than g6? Why?

Thanks.