Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @vicharris

Not to worry. The Speed Booster with the Nikon mount will have a ring to open and close the iris on Nikon lenses. So, get a Tokina with the Nikon mount.

• @Ralph_B Thanks for the info. I'm very familiar with all the Nikon mount glass. It's all I've used besides SLR glass for a year. Already have the Tokina set, just didn't see any rings on the speed boosters like the Novaflex adapters have.

• The actual speed boosters are electronically compatible (canon EF to NEX) or are for lenses which are always equipped with an aperture control ring directly. As already mentioned the nikon editions just need a quite simple mechanical aperture control ring. =)

The only problem is maybe, that the 11 to 16mm 2.8 is just too wide for the speed booster to work correctly. At least with the cheaper chinese copies I read somewhere about problems with super wide glass. I just hope that's not the case with the metabones adapters. Just keep this (optional problem) in mind before you preorder such an adapter ...

• @vicharris

Take a look at the SpeedBooster PDF white paper:

http://www.metabones.com/images/metabones/Speed%20Booster%20White%20Paper.pdf

On page 2 under Specifications it says Manual iris control for Nikon G lenses.

• I think you might need to write in capitals @ralph_b :)

• I'm thinking of using Lumix lenses with a 52mm Heliopan variable ND. With what we know about the camera would vignetting be an issue or would the small sensor omit this problem?

• Depends which Lumix lenses you are talking about. You can test for vignetting easily enough with your current camera. Use the relative sensor sizes of your current camera and the BMPCC to crop the images.

For a quick approximation of the BMPCC's sensor size on the GH2, set the GH2 to one of the photo modes, 16:9 aspect ratio, image size to Medium, and ETC turned on. That's a 15.1 mm active sensor diagonal, compared to 14.3 mm on the BMPCC.

• The calculator for the field of view of the BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera is now updated to allow to include the metabones speedbooster: http://bmpcc.rubenkremer.nl/

• So BMPCC with the Speed Booster basically has a m4/3 crop factor (a little over 2X).

• Yes, you couple the BMPC with a speed booster and the Tokina 11-16, I'd say you pretty set for anything wide.

• @Mitakon @Metabones All together now: "We want maximum warp for Nikon G lenses!" :-)

• And if you couple the speed booster with the new Samyang 16mm f2, you'll get an 11.2mm f1.4 - wide and FAST!

• I've looked at the website and most of these posts but can't seem to tell if there's any kind of zebra or highlight peaking/warning function, especially as i imagine I'll be using manual glass on this camera. Anyone in the know?

• @mrbill you mean focus peaking? Yes pocket does have this function.

• @mrbill

It has focus peaking when you hit the focus button on the back. It also has one set of zebras just like the BMCC. I set mine to 100% on my BMCC, but you can set it to what ever you like.

• @brian - thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know

• Hopefully I'll have a hands on tonight at an event here. Supposed to have this cam and the 4k there.

• @vicharris Awesome, I hope you can get some footage/interviews etc... I am still dying to see if they have the firmware working for the DNG files yet... my interest is more in the RAW format than the ProRes for most of what I shoot.- mostly theatrical-

• @vicharris dont forget to ask them about how positive they are about shipping date. lol

• Good questions. Anyone else have any others? Not sure I'll get to shoot and keep any files with it.

• @vicharris, please ask if they've given any thought to synchronising two bodies for stereoscopic 3D shooting, and if they have any plans to release a solution (ie. hardware 'Genlock', or some firmware solution).

Would be especially awesome with the Pockets as the small form factor is ideal for very portable 3D rigs.

• Unless your shorting the new Avengers movie, 3D is dead.

• I wouldn't say dead, but definitely slowing down until the TV technology is to the point of not needing glasses. But yes the BMPCC would be perfect for a small handheld 3D set up.

• I don't know how well it is going to work, however, as an experiment, I have just acquired a Panasonic 12.5mm 3D lens to try out on my GH2 & BMPCC (when it arrives) I will keep you all posted on the results, I am concerned whether the Pocket Rocket's crop factor might render the 3D lens unusable - only time will tell...