Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • Am I missing something?? Just get a Metabones adapter or the $200 Chinese equivalent and you'll be right back where you left off with the GH-2 size-wise. With that said you get 13 stops of Dynamic range and.....an actual 1080p RAW image. Hold on to your GH-3 if you want slow motion.

These Canon hacks (yes including the 5Dlll) all have issues with their image. They don't compare with the actual RAW stream (what you see in a still RAW image) because what we are seeing is what's supposed to be shown on an LCD screen. This is why we see jagged edges and fixed pattern noise (in certain shades of light) in some of the images.

My advice to anyone is this...if you already own a Canon (particularly the 5Dll/lll) then it might not be worth it to you. If you don't then it would be silly to pay for a camera in that dollar range and omit the BMCC/BMCCC or 4k cameras for what I see is a compromised image.

Yes...some people are getting great results when they are careful (like some of Squigs shots etc.) but.......... U get the point

• @Ian_T Yes, you are missing something. They don't make a MFT to MFT speedbooster.

• Let's all take a step back for a second. The ONLY thing that is missing is the ultra-wide end and let's be real that's not something you need to have ALL THE TIME for EVERY SHOT!!! It all depends on what you shoot and those requirements, but this is being blown out of proportion.

The Lumix 7-14mm = 21-42mm and the Oly 9-18mm = 27-54mm on the BPC which isn't bad at all for a decent wide shot. Now if you need even wider perhaps you should look into an Anamorphic or just use a different camera for Ultra-wide shots. Every camera has it's strengths and purpose. I don't view the BPC as the best tool for low light or Ultra-wide landscapes, however, that leaves a BOATLOAD of other things this camera will be great at.

• Standard set of primes for S16 would be something like 9.5, 12, 16, 25 (maybe a 35) and 50, so yes, for a film-like camera we're pretty much covered with the m43 glass that already exist and would also be covered with a booster for still lenses.

• Thanks for the wake up call, y'all :)

I'll stick to my original plan using the tokina 11-16 and a voigt 17.5. I guess Metabones or LensTurbo releases a Nikon G to m43 in the future.

• The Speed Booster would still help in both the lowlight and shallow DOF departments.

• @vicharris I’m not sure I follow. Are you saying that because Metabones delayed their Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster from April to the second half of 2013? If so I get it.

But, correct me if I’m wrong, if the BPC has an MFT mount and Metabones comes out with this MFT Speed Booster later this year (which is basically upon us) wouldn’t that work with all our manual lenses on the BPC? I believe it was discussed earlier in this thread.

With that said, and just to be clear, what I was talking about before is getting the “future” MFT Metabones adapter with this MFT mount BPC camera and bringing yourself right back into GH2/3 category FOV size wise. To me that makes the perfect combo to match up to your GH.

EDIT: I didn't realize it but the M 4/3 metabones adapter is out already. I just checked out Phil Bloom's test on the original BMCC.

• @Ian_T Little bit of both. Many people want to use native MFT glass on this thing so that renders the booster useless of course. But yes, other manual glass would be good to use, like that tokina or maybe even the 12-24. I know some people have a problem with putting larger glass on this thing but I sure as hell don't. I'm not buying this for the size, I'm buying it for the picture it captures out of the box and if that means it turns into a mini rig, then I'm good with that :)

• For me the small size is only a suggestion of how you can use it and not a restriction! So yeah you can go Incognito and use pancakes with the BPC or you can slap a Cine Lens on it and rig it up for some serious shootin... it's all good. I love that kind of flexibility. In fact it's not too far off from the idea of a sensor in a small box concept. Only it's been flattened into the shape of a NEX and still has an LCD. Still really small and can be built up from there.

• Realistically speaking I'm foreseeing me pissed on a beach in Bali pointing it at the sea and surfers and beer bottles, unlike the RAW crazy Canon gang imagining their forthcoming new Hi res feature - "Bush" - it's a camera it's new tech, it's interesting - erm that's really it, it aint going to make anyone "make stuff".

• lol @soundgh2 Thanks for that reality check.

• Awesome! Looks great!

• That new footage is definitely my favorite so far!

• The problem is that in-camera corrected lenses like the 7-14 wil have a lot of distortion with BMPCC

• So much for people saying it will suck in low light. I can't imagine myself ever needing more low light capability. I was never one for shooting in a black hole without any support lights so I think I'm pretty much good to go here. This with my set of SLR Lenses and an added Voight 17.f, makes me one little happy camper :)

• wow that most recent nighttime test looks great.. hoping the C-RAW option will put it over the top in cinema-quality.

• This looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship :-)

• @vicharris I have to agree... rarely go over ISO1600 on the GH3. I can bring a single LED light along with me if I need to shoot in dark tunnels or some sh#t. This little cam is gonna rock.

• I assume this is still Prores - as RAW not been implemented? Looks funky though - great stuff !

• Yep, he says it's not raw

• When the two new cameras were announced, I cancelled my BMCC and switched order to the 4K BMPC.

As I think more about this camera, they announced it with am interlaced HDMI output, it may be a solution for my desire of owning enough cameras for multi cam (no hire) ... with a B4 adapter and HDMI-2-SDI ...
    small sensor - easy focus and compatible with my interlaced equipment.

Additionally it will be useful for keying ... 10bit and small sensor for deep focus.

Sensitivity will be the determining factor

• 4k and pocket so cheap, realistically (it's a 1 job payoff!) it's a no brainer. My fearless producer chum who don't give a fook - quite happily will shoot ATP tennis promos on Epics in LA one week and the new BBC Muppets titles on a GH2 in London the next - love it - he has pre ordered 3 pocket cams, and while we whine away here about corner sharpness and CA and form factor he will be off earning and shooting lol - lesson to all ? Cam don't maketh the man?

• Looks great - further convincing me to buy one. Looks like it serves it's intended purpose very well. And 'only' ProRes at this point ;-) Love the color.

I hope the 'it will be shit in low-light' and 'ML RAW hack 550D is better' trolls go back into their caves please.

• This video vimeo.com/59194722 convince me that the pocket is the winner for low light compares to the gh3. For traveling, hobbyist like me will be more than happy to carry an iphone-sized CINEMA camera around the world. Who wouldn't like that?