Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @Trumpetman ahh, now we're talking. So far I have 14mm for normal fov, 20mm for low light and 14-45mm for run and gun. I might gonna pick up the wide angle converter soon. hehehehe. These lenses are cheap and reliable. Or, I might gonna sell my 14-45mm and buy the 14-42mm and pair it together with the wide angle converted and boom! 11mm with OIS.

• @Trumpetman Bummer, I think the wide angle converter only works with the 14-42 PZ lens.

Yes test footage would be awesome!

• lightest run and gun package ever!

• I thinks it works with the other as well, but I will test it. I have to order another one, my son has it on his gh2 in LA, but if only works with the PZ then I will get it too. More expensive, but a flatter profile.

• I don't hear many good things about the 14-42 PZ lenses though.

• I think Panasonic wants to say only the PZ because the other one zooms out from the front instead of internally so they don't want the extra weight on the front or anything impinging on the zoom...actually it extends out too.

• I'm sure that I've read about others using it on the kit zoom, anybody out there that has?

• I mean, I lot of people say the optic is bad. Maybe Im wrong here.

• Anyway I thought I tested in on my zoom along with my prime when I got it, but I'll give it another go when I get another one.

• Rambo posted this in May of last year

Ralph_B, this is probably what you were expecting. The 20mm pancake with wide adapter is blurred center and edges at f1.7, it's not until f4.0 that the full frame becomes sharper edge to edge.

Conclusion, Panny designed this for only the 2 lenses stated and only at 14mm >H-PS14042 and H-H014

• @Trumpetman
    @double_vision

Check topic title from time to time. We have topics about things you are discussing.

• @trumpetman

I've worked on everything from Jurassic Park to the lowliest of Indies (budget wise) and creativity will always find a way.

If 30+ years of American indies is "creativity finding a way", what does failure look like?

• @Trumpetman

Back to the camera, Any reason other than the crop factor I'll have problems with my Samyang 85mm and 24mm?

• Keep to the topic, any flame about indie stuff and ideas to discuss specific lenses that has proper topics will be deleted without any warning.

• @peternap You shouldn't have a problem with any of those lenses. Same concept as GH2. It's just the 85mm is going to be one long ass lens on the BMPCC! One really fast, long lens! :) I plan to throw up a video with the Rokinon and SLR cine line of lenses when the BMPCC comes in just so people can see what they all look like on there. I'm sure we'll see a crap load of footage but I'll just to a lock off of some boring tree or pond and shoot all lenses with the same viewpoint. Maybe I'll throw someones cat across the frame to get people all excited!!

• @peternap I don't know what kind of mount you have for the Samyangs but if you plan on using them with the speed booster that should get you back close to the GH perspective. Either way they should look great. Just more portrait oriented.

• TV distortion is measured at the top of the image and relative to picture height. Center cropping the image will typically reduce distortion in the absolute, but not necessarily relative to the picture height. It depends on the specific distortion profile of the lens and how much you crop. Cropping increases the distortion of some lenses.

• @double_vision The power zoom actually looks like a pretty good lens, and its only $200 on ebay. I just don't know if the pocket cam allows for controlling the power zoom. It looks like there are only controls for focus and aperture. Anybody know if blackmagic provides zoom control for the pocket cam?

• @double_vision just posted pics for converters at Panasonic Conversion Lenses topic

• hopefully we will see soon some more footage (or even the camera) It seems to me that that people are generally interested in the camer/ topic but as there are no real news this discussion is getting weird and off topic

• @peaceonearth It is a little odd that this close to supposed shipping, we aren't seeing more.

• @peternap

Not really. Blackmagic has no need to generate more interest or hype. They accomplished that at NAB. Now it's buckle down to work and get the product out the door.

• @trumpetman

The power zoom on the Pannie X lenses are controlled by a lens mounted rocker, and so the BMPCC only has to supply power. They will work just fine,

• @Trumpetman

Please, keep this about camera and similar things.

• To post here something interesting to the camera: The HDMI out offers 10-bit YUV 4:2:2 & the overlays can be turned off if you need a clean feed. I don´t know if it´s posted already somewhere in this thread. But that´s for sure good to know (for everyone out there with an external recorder).