Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks @peternap! I am sure you will find great use for the BMPC.

There was a time when we even shot on VHS for broadcast (in some places). It seems to be the more technology has evolved, the more people have caught on the evolution without quite understanding the purpose of it. Toys have become more compact, they now pack hellavalot of power in a small package - just look at the iphone. But if technology has improved by leaps and bounds, storytelling hasn't. Hollywood has produced more re-runs in the last 10 years than it has any other time in its history. It has also remade films from Asia, capitalising on the films' profitability. Celluloid maybe dead, but has digital techno really taken storytelling as a craft to new heights (not talking about VFX here)?

• @kazuo I agree 100%. Technology does not tell the story. Stories are mostly made on paper (or at least used to be).

In 2005 I noticed Broadway musicals in NYC were regurgitating movies, and creating spin offs. Nothing advertised seemed original. They have suffered a similar fate. At the time a US friend who had just come back from a trip there said it was due to the AIDS epidemic. It had wiped out a lot members of the creative community creating a lot of great work.

I know some people may not believe this to be true, so I am going off topic for a moment: I lived in NYC in the 1990s. In my 6 story building with 20 apartments in Greenwich Village, I noticed that 2 neighbors in separate apartments (mid 30s) had died within 3 years. I found out after the fact it was AIDS, which explained their somewhat withered appearance. It was an eye-opener. I know someone may be thinking this: no, they weren't having sex together, lol.

In Europe I worked on a feature film with a main character with AIDS, the Director had AIDS (had caught it in NYC in the late 80s). It was definitely an epidemic in the gay community there at that time. Today it just gets less press than ever before, but, if you've ever seen someone with AIDS then you know it's no joke.

Words to live by: be careful out there. While shooting or otherwise. (OT over)

• More slight OT here.

Thing is, not everyone is using these cameras in same way. In some cases technological features become essential for creating images needed to tell the visual story or represent reality as intended by film creators.

One might need best possible chroma key for compositing - you won't get that with 28Mbps H.264, but raw and ProRes will do much better. One might need to shoot landscapes that have very high DR - shooting with HDR sensor in raw format will help. In a documentary or sports report, one might need to represent reality as well as possible within media limits - 48/50/60 fps create more convincing feeling of "being there" than 24/25/30 fps. One might need very fast framerate for slow motion or good timelapse features to show things from outside normal human perspective. And so on.

As for quality of Hollywood storytelling, just look away from mainstream and there are more interesting things going on. Bigger problem is perhaps that there are too many films released all around, more than one has time to watch in a lifetime. And we're writing this thread because of intentions of making even more, heh.

Maybe even the limits of medium itself are beginning to show. Maybe next really big thing will be a medium through which one can experience all kind of otherness completely as one's own reality. Video games can already go deeper than films in that regard, whatever comes after them will be even more groundbreaking.

• Why not consider GH3? Its 1080p60 video quality is best Panasonic can offer at the moment.

+1

I just got my GH3 a day ago and the slow-motion is amazing!!! Really great stuff. To think about it... what camera under Red's Epic really does slow-motion this good? The Sony FS-100 and the AF-100 might really be the only contenders, but they both have pitiful garbage-codecs internally (24mbs vs 50mbs on GH3). The GH3's slow-mo grades very well so far... I can't see the others cam's really matching it without an external recorder.

GH3 does not disappoint... I'll have to upload some stuff soon. GH3 and Pocket Cinema Cam will be a killer duo.

• @neokoo said, "As for quality of Hollywood storytelling, just look away from mainstream and there are more interesting things going on. Bigger problem is perhaps that there are too many films released all around, more than one has time to watch in a lifetime. And we're writing this thread because of intentions of making even more, heh."

1. If you find indies interesting, it's most likely not because of the cameras they use, but the quality of storytelling. I cite a recent case in point, Shane Carruth's "Upstream Color." It's such a narrative feast that after a while, you forget about the technology behind the film. Good filmmaking should make the filmmaker's craft/tool invisible.

2. We should shoot all kinds of stuff, but I agree we don't have all the time to view all of it. And not all of it is worth viewing.

3. At the end of the day, no matter how you push technology, it's meant to be the filmmaker's slave. The converse would spell tragedy.

• When most people talk about outside the mainstream they are still talking about movies with budgets in terms of millions of at least 100's of thousands.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/the-best-indie-movies-of-2013-so-far-according-to-criticwire

GH cameras are not a serious contender in this realm however many times Shane Carruth is given as an example. You can shoot a movie with a cellphone but if you do it cause you can't afford Red, Alexa ie due to budget then you probably don't have a movie, you have a pile of horseshit. People need to wake up in this area.

• @jimmykorea,

Since I assume you're korean, given yr nick, you shd have heard of Park Chan-wook. Dont ask me what he's made, if you don't know by now, what a shame. Not too long ago, he's shot a film using a set of iphones, am not sure if the end product's entirely a pile of shit. We can agree to disagree, but let's not be condescending when we profess little knowledge in a certain thing.

Indie simply means outside the studio system, and it's a term that's been used to describe filmmakers who operate outside this system (some may prefer to see themselves as having fallen through the cracks) So either you're funded by the system, or you're on yr own, hence indie. I wouldn't cite something like "criticwire" as an authority on this matter.

And within indie itself, there are subcategories - pp who have backers, and those who have not.

Which one are you?

• @jimmykorea So let me understand what you just said. Did you just say if you aren't using a Red or Alexa because you can't afford it, you have a pile of shit? Is this correct?

• @vicharris I doubt he meant exactly what you wrote.

If you want to make VFX -based narrative film, or storyless pure cinema that relies on special tech, or whatever other kind of film which relies on some technological capability that iPhone doesn't have, you won't be able do it well with an iPhone. You can do some great stuff with an iPhone no doubt, but only if your visual storytelling needs fit within limits of what is possible with an iPhone. Same goes for current G/GH series - you can do much with them, but there are some limits...

Here we come back to BMPCC - it's another step in empowering those filmmakers who can't afford Red or Alexa or whatever, but need high DR, ProRes or raw.

@kazuo, I agree on all points, though it is debatable what story means for a visual medium. Dramatic storytelling and theater tradition vs. storyless pure cinema, stuff like that...

As non-mainstream I mean not only the usual low budget indie stuff but all that gets made around the world that does not have multinational theatrical release and advertising campaigns and such. Including "made for TV" productions.

BTW, is it correct to call the recent wave of pure cinema (timelapse & other special techniques) web shortfilms "indie"? I like some of those as well, even though many are more like "tech demos" than intentional films. In any case, they're one example of filmmaker being very dependent on camera and rig technology to realize shots he/she needs.

• @jimmykorea Exactly, because the Red and Alexa are the only cameras equipped with the new anti-horseshit technology.

• If I understand @jimmykorea correctly, he's only saying that if there's no money for the camera, there's also no money for cast, crew, locations, insurance, food, transportation, etc. So unless you can make a great movie without professional cast and crew, convincing locations, etc., a great cheap camera doesn't solve much.

As for Park Chung-wook (re:@kazuo), it's unlikely he had an iphone budget, even if he used iphones. This was one of the more infuriating frauds surrounding the "Dogme" movement: the cameras may have been cheap, but the productions weren't. "The Celebration" employed the best actors and crew in Denmark, not folks who answered a Craigslist ad and worked for nothing.

So dare we say it? No matter how cheap and how good the cameras get, moviemaking still costs a lot of money. Consider that for more than 40 years, you could shoot a 90 minute S16mm feature film at a ratio of about 10:1 for $20,000 or less in stock and lab costs. If that was the only barrier to making great cinema, where are all the $20K masterpieces from the last 40 years?

• One more slight OT:

This is one of most interesting uses of small camera I've seen lately. Done with what I presume to be a camcorder, on a Merlin stabilizer:

It has no conventional story, story-like editing, narration or music, and it is better for it. It could not have been done with Red or Alexa for practical and social reasons (they're too big and conspicuous).

It could have been done with BMPCC and a small lens, without any rig except the stabilizer, and would have been improved by high dynamic range. Resolution of 4k and framerate of 60fps would improve it even further by providing better immersion.

Some might think "that's just a video of walking on some alley in Japan, cheap and near-zero-effort, I can go and do the same stuff in my home town any day". Or "that's not cinema", whatever that means. Or "you can't sell that, no-one would watch that in theaters".

Well, whatever it is not, if you watch it for what it is, the point of the clip becomes obvious. That little piece of video gave 6 minutes of feeling what it might be like to walk on that alley. Traditional narrated travelogues can't do that, they always put the traveler/narrator between the viewer and the subject, and usually further erase feeling of the place by editing and putting extra music in soundtrack.

And as far as stories go, in that clip there are hundreds of them gliding past the camera…

Sorry for a bit rant-like OT, but I'm just tired of the attitude that story and drama should be primary measure of what the use of camera and gear is. Stories and drama (and actors and crews and all that) have their place, but so do other ways of using cameras.

• Still not buying it. Horrible, uneducated comment as usual. Back to BMPCC stuff :)

• @neokoo and @jrd I think most of us understand perfectly what jimmykorea is saying and as usual he couldn't be more wrong. I've worked on everything from Jurassic Park to the lowliest of Indies (budget wise) and creativity will always find a way. But to each there own, I look forward to the latest piles of horse shit, especially those big expensive ones that can only be dumped out by an Alexa or Red.

@vlcharris ditto!

• ANYWAY.... let's talk about native lenses. I realize that many of you here don't really recommend using the Panadonic 7-14mm. But, based on my experience many micro four thirds shooters praise this lens so much. May I know why the 7-14mm doesnt really get that many attention among the future pocket owners?

• @double_vision

The 7-14mm lens relies on in camera correction (found in only Olympus and Panasonic cameras) of extreme distortion and some CA (purple fringing), the BMPCC has no in camera correction so the faults of the lens now predominate.

• Because the BMPCC has no distortion correction (oops, you beat me on that). Plus, no manual focus. Oh, and quite slow, when there are native S-16 lenses with 10mm 1.4.

If you can live with that, it's a great lens.

• The only real problem with it is the small aperture, other than that it's a great lens. I would like to see some test between it and the 12-35mm 2.8 on the pocket cam when it comes out. A lot of people complain that the 12-35 is too contrasty on the GH3 making it too videoish, but I don't see that as much on the BMPC. It will be interesting to see if the 7-14 has more of a flatter look than the 12-35. If so, I will be picking one up for the pocket cam and then use the 14mm and 20mm for low light. I also sent an email today to slrmagic encouraging them to manufacture the 12mm in Nikon F mount if possible, so it can be used with a speed booster. However, I've also read rumors that they were working on an 8mm, don't know if it's true.

• Yes, but the 16mm sensor size means its taking more from the center of the lens so distortion might not be as big of a problem as some are anticipating. A bigger problem is for handheld because I don't think it has OIS, correct me if I'm wrong. Granted the wide angle won't be as critical, but I think it will still be a factor.

• @Trumpetman The 12-35 lens has 5,9% barrel distortion at its shorter end, it is really very strong.

• Yes, but again you are taking more from the center of the lens. I actually love the lumix lenses for this camera because of the very reasons I hate them for the GH series. The fact that the s16 sensors takes from the center more reduces the amount of detectable distortion and the razor sharpness of the lumix lenses that often do look to videoish on the GH seems to pair perfectly with the BMPC which has no in camera sharpening. Plus they are cheap in price as this camera is, making for a terrific combo that will add quality to indies that hasn't been seen since we were using actual film stock (almost).

• @philiplipetz isnt that the pocket has smaller sensor, thus will only cover the middle part of the lens. 7-14 is only well know for its distortion around the edges. Can you recommends me 10mm native s-16 lens that wont break the bank?

@Trumpetman i just scored 20mm for usd265! FTW! hahaha. Is there any wide angle lenses with OIS that you know? I dont think there's any wide angle lenses with OIS. I hope Panasonic will update their 7-14mm with OIS and filter option. Regarding the 14mm 2.5, I heard there's a pretty good wide angle converted made by Panasonic. This converter will basically make 14mm becomes 11mm 2.5. That's faster than tokina 11-16mm 2.8, and SMALLER SMALLER SMALLER. 8mm for mft from slr magic will make them rich!

• Take a look at Brawley's first video shot with the 12-35mm and see if you notice a lot of barrel distortion. I don't.

• @double_vision I have the converter and its terrific. Take a look at the test on the wide angle lens topic. The 14-42 kit lens actually test very well. The Olys are better but more expensive. Considering the price point on ebay for as cheap as $99 and the fact that other test show it to be sharper than the prime at 4.0 with OIS makes it a no brainer for me, especially because I can put the converter on it and get to 11mm with OIS or 11mm 2.5 with prime. Plus I have a Soligor anamorphic that actually works perfect with the 14mm and smaller than the Panasonic anamorphic. It does distort more in the corners, however, I am betting once more that the s16 will come through again and lose the distortion on that as well, making for one kick ass small anamorphic rig.

• I'll see if I can post some footage with the converter later this week, but there is a short film somewhere on here about an alcoholic who wrecks his car and kill himself, don't remember the title, but it uses the combo of the 14mm with converter and looks quite nice. I also signed up for the pocket cam as soon as it was available at B and H so I should be at the top of the list for getting one. I'll shoot test shots with all my lenses lumix and nikon both as soon as it is in my hands.