Personal View site logo
Panasonic G6 topic, GH2 replacement camera
  • 1330 Replies sorted by
  • The Panasonic Lumix G6 is an excellent camera, with very few issues, although battery life could be better. The Wi-Fi features are excellent for remote control and sending images to your smartphone, but uploading to social networks should be much easier, without having to go through the Lumix logon website, which caused some issues. Value for money is very good, particularly as the introduction price competes very well with similar cameras, and we would expect the price to drop over time making it even better value for money.

The Panasonic Lumix G6 delivers excellent image quality even when using the kit lens that comes in the box, and as its part of the Micro Four Thirds system, there are a large number of lenses available for when you want to upgrade, from both Panasonic, Olympus and many other manufacturers. The lenses are generally smaller than most other mirrorless camera lenses, making the camera and lenses a compact and portable system. With this, the latest Micro Four Thirds SLR styled camera from Panasonic, the Lumix G6, Panasonic has introduced an excellent reason to switch from your DSLR.

Via: http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-dmc-g6-review-22081

• a few more video samples: @24p:

@30p

@60p

• @Renovatio It's very annoying. At least the PAL GH3 gives you the opportunity to shoot 60p conformed to 24p.

• One last thing: the PAL version comes "only" up to 50 fps instead of 60. It's what makes me nervous, no way to fix it? You say i'm too picky and 50 that's OK? The idea is to take me to 24fps, starting from 50, and having a fluid slow motion ..

• Thanks Flaaandeeers. So, a little bit more time, but you can do it. Thanks, cause i've never had a manual lens such as the Voigt. I'm considering that, and it would be important to have the zoom and focus peaking during the focus...

• @Renovatio Manual lenses with no electronic connection with camera (like Voigtlanders) won't activate peaking or zoom (focus assist.) just by "playing" with the focus ring. You might have to do that manually, just like you do with the magnification now in your GH2 with any manual lens.

• I have one on order to replace a stolen GH2. I'll post some comparison footage as soon as it arrives.

• Hi guys, I was considering one thing: sell the gh2 and take the g6. For you, it makes sense? After all is the same sensor gh2, even if there isn't an hack, the results are still valid. Would sell sandisk extreme that cost me a lot, it would take a less expensive, and will recover money (maybe even advise me what is "sufficient": just a simple class 10?). Then there are the 60/50 fps at full resolution, and the focus peaking. In this regard, but the focus peaking works with manual lenses compeltamente? I was considering the Voigtlander: if I play with the focus ring, then zoom is activated on the screen? Or at least the zoom can be activated? And there's the focus peaking? Thanks to all

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Are you going to have G6 deals (PAL with no recording limit) once the camera is out?

• Finally i bought a GH3, and the G6 it's look like a good companion and even better because is smaller and can take it with me more easily, and look's very cool on Gray ;)

• Any info on electronic shutter mode? Can shutter speed be slower than 1 second on G6, or is it same as G5 and GH3, where electronic shutter is limited to 1" and faster?

• @DailyFilmFix 'but the GH1 hacked is still extremely solid for documentary interview work'.

I'm with you on this as I have been using the GH1 for nearly three years for extended interview work all without a hitch. I also think that, for what I do, the G6 might just make sense as my first upgrade simply for the variety of extra features it offers over the GH1 and indeed all other GH's. The in camera time-lapse might just be the feature, in particular, that pushes me to buy.

• @Stylz Precisely why I'm going to order a GH3 from the States and have a colleague bring it when he returns from vacation...

• @jonpais-so that would fall under the "only a fool" portion of my comment. Shipping can't be that much from another country to get that much cheaper. Unless Vietnam has some crazy commie import tax.

• @IronFilm...I read the reason the gh3 can't have it is because of the particular toshiba sensor. Therefore it makes some sense , since the gh2 and the g6 share the same sensor, that possibly FP could be added. It would obviously have to be done by pany themselves.

IMHO, it appears , while the gh3 is a wonderful camera, that pany was somewhat overly anxious to get it out the door. Maybe there's something to the chinese rumor that the gh5 will appear sooner rather than later.

• @Styles The GH2 sells new in Vietnam with kit lens for $1,300 USD. Lots available through Vat Gia.

• There is a thing that intrigues me with focus peaking: Panasonic said that they will never implement it in GH3 because of "lacking of processing power" (but it was implemented in G6). Olympus implemented it in E-P5, but when engaged, the frame rate of the LCD screen drops dramatically - which could confirm that focus peaking is a processor taxing feature.

But there are some chinese external monitors (some of then even discussed here in Personal View) that have focus peaking - and I doubt that they have a lot of processing power, especially for the price. It is VERY strange.

• Do we know if focus peaking will work with adapted lenses?

Wondering if its a electronic lens only thing.

• I think the only way to get focus peaking with a GH2, is to use an EVF (with FP). Zacuto Z-Finder EVF for example.

• @kurth @Stylz I thought because it has a new processor they are able to implement focus peaking and that is the reason why it won't ever be available for the GH3. If so, then no magic will ever allow the GH2 to get focus peaking added to it (plus there isn't anything like Magic Lantern for the GH2 which is a complete rewrite, which is what would be required to get focus peaking).

• @Stylz...interestingly that's a point. Because of the sensor , it might be easier to add FP to the gh2 rather than to the gh3. However, if you remember, the g6 has a new processor....which also might be the responsible party.

• isn't focus peaking a software thing? theoretically speaking couldn't that be an upgrade for the gh2? would be nice.

• @Vitaliy Care to share your thoughts on this threads topic (G6 replacement for GH2)?