Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic G6 topic, GH2 replacement camera
  • 1330 Replies sorted by
  • @AGSchear for issue 1, it happened to me that the camera freezed when the battery is about to finish; i'm pretty sure it happened with non-panasonic batteries (Patona brand), not sure if it happened also with the original battery.

• here is the green cast i was talking about (this is shot from a gh1, the wb is set to be right to the G6 lcd), it appear once you press record:

I'm shooting a side by side test beetween the G6 and the GH1

• Quick test of three different Photo Styles on the G6, all at higher ISOs (1600-3200).

I think in the future, my go-to setting will be Natural at -3,-2,-3,-2 (instead of -3,-3,-3,-2). To my eye, -2 is the most pleasing setting for sharpening in all of the non-monochrome profiles.

• @AGSCHear, I've never had a lock up, are you using it with WIFI, if so, I have heard of some issue with it. But I agree with Kurth, you should send it in and have it looked at. There's no reason other than a faulty unit should it be dead.

• @Mckinsie, For my eyes, taste it's 1/40th or 1/50th,. I find 1/60th to be a bit to choppy for my taste. But hey, it's floats your boat :-)

@Mcoser, Yes, there is a gamma change when record is pressed, gh2 had the same issue as g6. It's my #1biggest gripe about either camera. I feel there's NO EXCUSE for the image to change when record is pressed, My 1997 Panasonic pvdv710 didn't have any color, or contrast shifting, why in 2012-14 This is prevalent? However, I still prefer my gamma shifting pani over my non-gamma shifting Canons. So what's that tell you.

@Goldhousemedia, Thanks for posting. Wondering why you turn off noise reduction in monochrome? is it to get a grittier look?

• @maranfilms Yes, I think the noise/grain from the G6 looks pretty nice in B&W, and it seems like turning the NR all the way down saves some detail in the midtones that would otherwise be smoothed over, at least on that relatively contrasty setting. Maybe I should do another test that is just between monochrome settings.

• If you do post it up, I would like to see the difference, been wanting to shoot something in monochrome for a while, just don't know what to shoot yet. I was thinking maybe in the city, with like a grainy raw look. Love that.

• I recorded a speech yesterday on the G6 and the picture looked fine on the LCD when recording but when I played back on my monitor it was over-exposed! ISO was set to 200 and aperture f1.4. (Indoors with no special lighting but a couple of lamps to assist ceiling chandeliers.)

I'm quite upset as I have to see what I can fix in post otherwise the recording is wasted.

How is one supposed to tell looking at the LCD if a shot is properly exposed in recording video?!?

• @qadri You can use the Histogram or the Highlight features, which are available in the Custom menu. The Histogram will show you how much of your image is exposed at each luminosity level and the Highlight will make overexposed areas flash black so that you know which parts of the image are blowing out.

• It shouldn't be that different, have you checked your LCD, to make sure the brightness is not turned down to much, it sounds like that could be the issue. If your adjusting your aperture to where it looks good on the LCD, but then the footage is overexposed in your editor, that's my only guess as to what could be the issue, unless it was user error, but only you know that.

• @maranfilms i suppose now that since the g6 uses the same sensor as the GH2 is a non-resolved issue. In my GH1 this did not happen

• @mcoser G6 has a Sony CMOS sensor, GH2 has a Panasonic NMOS sensor. It is discussion about it somewhere here on PV. About the screen change when you are push record button: i´ve tested it, and in PC is same picture-look like before you push record button. Sorry for my english, i hope you will understand:)

• @RdC, I could be wrong, but from what I understand, the GH3 has the sony sensor, G6 uses same sensor as GH2.

• @maranfilms thanks, I'll check LCD brightness. I double checked my settings and they were as I stated.

Does the LCD also account for ISO setting? Looking back I should have done ISO 160 instead of 200 but on the screen the recording looked fine.

• @GoldHouseMedia - oh great. I've never used the Histogram. I thought it would be too complicated. I've not come across the Highlight feature but will explore both now.

• @Quadri The LCD brightness is a setting in camera set-up, if it's to dim, some will expose the camera to make it look proper, but the footage recorded is over exposed. Just a guess though. Iso 160 would have been better, but there's not a huge difference between 160and 200. I think it's a 1/4 stop.

• I will do some experiments now. I'll try recording on super high iso to see if the LCD shows an over exposed image.

My main worry was that it would be too dark but I was proved wrong. I'm always worried about videos coming out too dark indoors because of my experience with camcorders.

• I shot this on my G6 with an RJSB and the Sigma 18-35, came out quite well, next is a short film. But I'll need some primes as the dumb mount won't cut it with drama.

Love to know thoughts...

• what do you mean by saying the dumb mount won't cut it with drama? why won't you be able to use the sigma 18-35 for a short film? i thought it was good and convenient at the same time

• @spinsterboy, watched your video, I like a good amount of the shots, but others I felt the framing was off. Lighting in certain shots could have been a bit more dramatic, some were just to flat and not a whole lot of dynamics. Use lens flare's sparingly, You went a bit overboard which in my opinion kills the effect. I loved the high key shots under the sheets, again some of the framing felt a bit distracting there too though. I would have shot some extreme close-ups, and done some slow pushes towards him and her to give a connection and intense feeling, A close up of her hand on his face would have been cool, stuff like that to suck the viewer in. Also would have liked to see more of the venue, it looks to be a beautiful hall, maybe a jib shot, or a shot from the audience perspective. Grading was a bit flat, sort of dull at times. Seems to be missing that POP! Despite my critique, it was nicely done, I'm only nit-picking to get you to see things in a different light. The song was really good to. Thanks for posting :-)

• Thanks @maranfilms, it was a 12 hour affair, start to finish, not kit, no budget... The lot was done on a slider and hand held. We turned the whole thing around edit and all - in under a day. Had we had more time I think we'd have explored much more in terms of shoot aesthetics, but I think what came out the back was acceptable...

• @mjfan I mean that by using a speedbooster I can adjust aperture, so I'm stuck at 1.8, which limits things somewhat.... Had it been a Nikon mount and the (expensive) Metabones booster that would be different, but alas it ain't...

• @maranfilms, you have a GH1 right? May I crazy if I want to change my GH2 for a GH1? I don't know explain, but my eyes see GH1 more filmic than other DSLRs including Gh2. What do you think? (sorry my english) Thanks.

• I prefer the gh2 over the gh1, much better for video. The Gh1 hacked is still very good, but the hacked gh2 is far better in my opinion. The g6 is my favorite right now over the gh1, gh2, gh3. But I can't wait to get the gh4, I'm in love with that camera.

• do u prefer the hacked gh2's video or the g6 video?