Personal View site logo
GoPro Hero3 , 4K is here in Baby Steps for $399.99!
  • 642 Replies sorted by
  • My week old GP3 remote has stopped charging. has this happened to anyone else? also when it was working the darn thing kept on losing connection. ended up spending more time fiddling with the thing in the water instead of catching waves.

• Ok corrosive contacts were the cause of the charging problem. I should probably dip it in fresh water after a surf. wifi dropout still bugs me though.

• I had a WiFi lockup on my App connection last week. It may be related to the Hero itself, not the remote.

• That is very good price.

Major bottleneck is the weak battery. Add a battery bacpac ($50) for 2x extended battery and a waterproof casing.

• I don't quite get 2x with the extended battery, maybe 1.8 times if I am lucky :)

• I kinda like this angle:

First time trying the GP3 on a car. Surprised the mic didn't clip, considering it was only 2ft away from the exhaust. Gonna try Narrow FOV the next time.

• @BBT - camera settings, please?

• I apologize if I have missed this but has anyone here considered a hack for exposure lock? Here is a company that rents modded cameras but they only rent, no sales. I have contacted them multiple times about a modding service or selling the software/firmware with zero responses:

http://www.radiantimages.com/index.php/cameras/hd-beyond/gopro/705-gopro-hero-3

• @trevmar

1080p30 Medium FOV Protune 5500K WB

Mounted to the rear bumper of my friend's car with the new suction cup and the skeleton back door. And yeah, YouTube really compressed the hell out of it. :(

• I can't believe that 3 months after i bought the cam there is NOT an update firmware to solve freezing problems at startup, bad behaviour with the buttoms and what it's worse frying expensive micro sd cards... SHAME ON GOPRO!!!!

• @kaikerr Amusingly, they're still releasing updates for the GP1 and 2.

I've been lucky enough to only have issues when powering through an external battery. Camera doesn't like it when my battery's on before the camera's turned on for some reason. Good thing my batteries provide enough power for a full day's shoot.

• HD3 Blk firmware is available from GoPro if you email a request to use it, official release is within 2 weeks.

@Kaikerr, the SD card failures are a Sandisc faulty card issue. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03/18/galaxy_s3_sandisk_msd/

"SanDisk has been made aware of potential product issues involving a very small percentage of its 32GB and 64GB SanDisk Mobile Ultra microSD cards. Under certain circumstances the cards may lock up and the card becomes inaccessible. The issue has been identified and a manufacturing fix has already been put in place. SanDisk stands behind its products and any customer who experiences this issue with the microSD cards cards is asked to contact the SanDisk support center for a resolution immediately."

• Thanks @Rambo, i'm writting right now to ask it again (i did it 3 weeks ago and they told me that this is no possible because of commercial secrets or something like this). The only solution they gave me is sending the camera to Holland (from Spain) to repair it (how? can they solve this but not liberate a firmware update? so my camera will be the rat in the laboratory for testing?) within at least a month of not having a camera i just bought, and of course i have to pay the cost of the postal service... Once again... SHAME ON GOPRO!!!

• @BlueBomberTurbo: I find YouTube is reasonably careful when compressing my 24p video. I remember that this was documented once, several years ago, but can't remember if it was YouTube or Vimeo that was giving the extra loving care to 24p uplaods...

Rambo - any idea what the new firmware does? Will the 720p Protune Narrow work now (previous firmware allowed selection with the app, not the camera, and lip synch was about 2 seconds out)?

• Any of you dudes filming at 2.7K and downsampling to 1080p, for added detail?

• @superset Yes. Also for added dynamic range with the Protune.

I use 24p 2K7cineT for wide angle from the lens, and 1080T 24p for medium angle shots. These modes seem to give the best dynamic range. I suspect their scaling is more tightly related to the sensor resolution.

• @trevmar Cool, I'm going to give the 2.7K/30P a go and then downsample to see if it ends up looking better. Are you exporting using the GoPro Cineform codec first before the NLE or are you just dropping the 2.7K MP4 straight into your NLE and downsampling from there?

• 2.7K is awesome! You can already sharpen it well at native resolution, and then scaling it down to 1080p makes it even sharper. Same for noise, resizing will reduce its appearance a bit. It's the perfect setting for low light using Protune.

• Official new firmware is out! Get to downloading! ;)

• OK - quick test. Applied the update to the newer of my two cameras. From http://cbcdn2.gopro.com/uploads/firmware-bundles/firmware_bundle/1918813/update.zip

Will post more info as I figure it all out. Only tested Protune, that's all I use. Tested in my computer room - dimly lit. I test all my cameras here, to compare the relative results at low light levels. It closely simulates my hardest shoots. Haven't tested WiFi.

The 720p 60T narrow mode is not working right - bad white balance and terrible noise level. Uses same 35.2Mbps as the other protune modes. Very disappointing. But it does exist.

The new 1080p 24T narrow is working, and it does give better resolution of target objects than 1080p 24T Medium. But it inexplicably has more noise. Maybe an f-stop of extra noise. Admittedly the 1080p 24T medium and 2k7 24T Wide are the lowest noise modes of the camera, but it is not obvious to me why narrow should be more noise, unless the Ambarella chip (in the camera) is doing something smart when downsizing the sensor to medium. Which is what I suspect.

So why doesn't the 720p 24T Medium mode exist? And why is 60p much noisier than the faster shutter would warrant?

Anyway - the update does work, and the software version is now displayed on the front screen at power on.

• No, the main site seems to have withdrawn the update at this point. That's why I only flashed one camera :)

I really like that it now keeps track of the video number - a blank card starts at GOPR0005.MP4 even though the previous 4 videos had been erased. That will make life easier...

• @trevmar is the 720p 120T narrow mode (protune) now selectable in camera? Before it was just accessible via the wifi app. Albeit soft, it is pretty nice.

• @GMC yes, the 720p 120T narrow mode is selectable in camera. Didn't seem too soft, considering it was 720p.