Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GoPro Hero3 , 4K is here in Baby Steps for $399.99!
  • 642 Replies sorted by
  • Mike makes a few great filters for VD and i do use some of them, but his NR filter is nowhere as effective as Neat Video, but a good alternative if you don't want to spend the bucks.

• DNR is generally faster :) I save Neat Video for the really difficult clips :)

• Latest version of Neat (V3.3) now has GPU support so is very fast now :)

From their website - Neat Video 3.3 update introduces direct support for GPU-based acceleration on AMD/ATI video cards via OpenCL

On my system about double what it was in V2

• Interesting. As @trevmar said, editing software (in my case After Effects) picked up any changes that Cineform Studio makes on the converted files. Very nice.

• 0.o

I'd say maybe their hardware QCing would improve, but they also make the Xbox 360 and PS3. :x

• With the extra $200million they should at least be able to make available Protune in conventional lenses, one would think... I was musing the other day how revolutionary the performance of the Hero 3 with Protune really was. Other companies are toying with "HDR Video" (whatever that is), but here we have a pro-format wide range video tiny camera which really works... and is essentially disposable...

Here is 100% crop of the resolution chart center at 2.7K and 1080 Protune 24T - low moire, and excellent resolution

2K7_24T_thumb.gif
    1189 x 755 - 324K
    1080_24T_thumb.gif
    892 x 568 - 200K
  • Some suggested 2.7k Cine downscaling to 1080p24. Why not recording in 1080p24 in the first place? Am I missing here?

• What if Foxconn produces their own branded smartphones with GoPro like casing and lens accessories? ActionPhone :)

• @stonebat No, I can confirm that 2.7Kcine 24T is not scaling. You can see that on the resolution chart above (look at how many rings can be resolved in the bullseye pattern). The clarity in the 2.7Kcine mode is the best video I have seen yet. In 1080 Medium 24T the chart above also shows superb resolution. That's why I think these two have no scaling, straight off the imager. Also, they have the best behaved noise levels (IMO).

The only advantage recording at 1080M 24T has is in battery life - 1hr 40mins instead of 1hr 15 mins, On a good day - if the wind is blowing in the right direction - YMMV and all that :)

• @trevmar Thanks. 2.7k for me then. It would be more future proof. I was musing about it, too. Fun stuffs in a little package ;) Definitely more than what I expected.

• What is best way to correct fisheye in Premier on mac (to avoid photoshop and exports) any plugin?

1. captured a frame from playing protunes orig file.
    2. transcoded to cineform 422 w/ gamma 2.2.
    3. applied cineform studio presets and sharpened a bit.
    Screen Shot 2012-12-30 at 5.03.32 PM.png
    1790 x 1008 - 2M
    Screen Shot 2012-12-30 at 5.03.40 PM.png
    1790 x 1008 - 3M
    Screen Shot 2012-12-30 at 5.03.46 PM.png
    1790 x 1008 - 2M
    1. original protune
    2. cineform 422
    Screen Shot 2012-12-30 at 5.19.40 PM.png
    1790 x 1058 - 3M
    Screen Shot 2012-12-30 at 5.19.51 PM.png
    1790 x 1058 - 3M
  • @stonebat Nice! Guess there's an easy way to do corrections! Just tried it in 5DtoRGB with the Technicolor Cinestyle preset, and it does the same!

As far as my 3D project, after a bunch of testing, seems like the lenses are too far apart. Doesn't seem to go well if things will be closer than 5ft and then pull back in the same clip. Fine for anything further, though, but you need to get close with the GoPro for people or animals (even in Narrow FOV).

Working on mirroring the original 3D housing layout (one cam upside down), but with room for BacPacs plus HDMI and USB cables. I'll also have access to all buttons, unlike my current setup which blocks Wifi on one and shutters on both. A great reduction in weight and size, too.

Hope to have the parts in by the end of the week!

• I was the proud (sad) owner of a GoPro3 until it went its own ways during a snowboard trip in Austria. I must say, I quite liked it. Only problems I had were: 1) Wifi function stalled on top of a mountain. GoPro wasn't usable anymore until battery ran out. No chance to use it manually. That was weird. Maybe it was not the cam, but the iPhone app, but it definitely got me freakin' mad, because I crawled up a mountain and had only one chance to take pov shots riding down from there. 2) I used protunes and the image was very yellowish. Was not able to fully recover the footage to match the GH3 shots I also took. Check graded video. I think you can spot it.

• Awesome vid! I'm moving to Whistler next fall, hopefully will be getting some decent shots myself! Did a battery pull not help with the wifi stall? I had my hero 2 lock up while boarding tonight, battery pull fixed. I'm still waiting for Hero 3 blacks to show up in my neck of the woods, no one has had any yet. :(

• @tobsen, did you use the CamRaw WB ? It's been spot on for many people both underwater at depth and in bright white snow.

• @Rambo Camraw WB? Nope. I guess I should check that out. Thx! @joeschmoe No I didn't pull the battery. They got really impatient up there (it was really harsh wind) and they wanted to leave so I said f**k it.

• Here is a video I shot of our trip to the Great Wolf Lodge indoor water park with the GoPro III black. It contains 2.7K, 1080p @ 60 FPS, 720p @ 120 FPS, and 480p @ 240 FPS footage. You can tell what is 240 FPS footage by the flicker in the lights. The 2.7K and 720p @ 120 FPS modes were my favorite for this setting.

• Shot drifting in 3D yesterday for 6hrs or so (with sunburn to prove it!), on and off, with my GP3 Black 3D rig. The remote worked flawlessly for over 180 clips. I'll have a pic of my setup and a couple sample vids up tonight.

• @BlueBomberTurbo

May be make special topic about GoPro 3D rig and related things in 3D category?