Personal View site logo
Nikon D5200 topic
  • 651 Replies sorted by
  • I'm handholding mine in my emulsion tests and I'm not seeing any jello. I do have a heavy Leica lens on it. If you're handholding it with a kit lens then you deserve all the jello you're gonna get.

• @CoolColJ Jitter is my bad - it was quick and dirty. @squig I hope you can show us some tests where we see how well this camera does concerning noise and rolling shutter. I have also tested it very thoroughly but no time to upload every single test. My personal conclusion is it has a nice image under very specific circumstances, but will not be practical in a working situation. Maybe I had a bad copy? Anyway I've returned while I still can.

• Well certainly it's not good for every shooting situation but what camera is? It is quite noisy at particular ISOs but so is the 5D. Sure I'd like it to be better but it's not bad for $700. Once I've completed all my tests I'll show the results which are still inconclusive at this point. I haven't decided whether I'll keep mine yet either.

• I like quick and dirty test to dismiss a camera. Like the jello test where the d5200 is attached above the gh2, as you all know the gh2 has some super solid construction to attach something on for a test you are going to shake the camera. At least he went back and did another test and the d5200 was at least on par to the gh2. Many other people reliable people have done test and confirmed that it was on par to the other dslr.

We also now have seen many test that have shown how the d5200 is close to the 5dmark3. So I prefer to take those quick and dirty test with a big big big pinch of salt.

• @danyyyel Yes - take it with a pinch of salt - nothing scientific. But since the test shots were just meant for personal tests originally I didn't bother using time making the image look nice or steady except that I could have a glimpse at noise performance and relative image sharpness between the 2 cameras - only those 2 things.

The camera is good in higher mid ranges and up for noise performance, but so are most other cameras. But in shadows not so good and in my personal opinion quite poor since for me that noise pattern does damage aesthetically. For work I have to have the option of shooting quite flat sometimes, so it then becomes a not so good camera. This may be different for other people - if they normally shoot with more contrast then it may not be such a big problem.

• Guys, don't expect super high quality performance from a camera that cost only a fraction of that of the professional cameras. For me this camera is a no-brainer, and instead of doing nothing but tests and comparisons, I just go out and shoot and enjoy. The noise doesn't have to be a issue because it can easily be filtered out.

• Although my loopy video is with a wide. The d5200 has minimal jello. Ive been using a 200mm with it today and is a LOT easier than the GH2 to keep a none skew shot.

This camera is superb btw. A steal for its current price.

• Can't understand that about jello and sorry I didn't post any examples before I returned the camera, but to my eye it was same or worse than GH2... Then again, I guess others will be able to push it to nice things going forward working around these issues.

• @Mimirsan "This camera is superb btw. A steal for its current price." I totally agree on that!

• @eyenorth All dlsr based cameras used for video have some form of jello especially with longer focal lengths. If you dont want jello...shoot with wides or buy a 50p/60p camcorder with stablisation :-)

My friend has a t2i so will do some noise lowlight test next week but considering the d5200 performed better than my 5N and that the 5N out performed the t2i. I remain doubtful. I mean I dont even see much noise until 1600 and then I never ever shoot above that anyway.

Plus is always down to what subject you are shooting and how it is exposed.

I have had situations when my camcorder did better than the GH2 in a lowlight situation.

• My tests were to see if it would be an upgrade from the GH2. Due to the rampant fixed noise patterns, I ultimately concluded that it would not be a worthwhile upgrade for me. That is my personal opinion.

I shared my tests because I thought that other people might find them useful. The internet is full of people who don't ever make mistakes, but I am not one of them. With one of my tests, I made a mistake. I retracted it, took down the video clip, and apologized. Apparently this was not enough for some people (like I owed them anything to begin with).

The GH2 is not a good low-light performer so it won't be for everyone. But with the correct exposure (forget 9 stops of gradable DR; with this camera you have about 6), and Driftwood's advanced new 'Moon' setting, I get a highly-resolved image without FPN that continues to suit most of my purposes for the price. I have no blind loyalty this camera or to the Panasonic brand, but right now this is still the camera that makes sense for me.

• @QuickHitRecord

Are you saying the D5200 get's 6 stops of dynamic resolution? If so, how did you determine that?

• @mojo43

No, I think that the D5200 probably has more DR. At least, it seems to be able to pull more detail from the shadows and highlights. Is it gradable?

You can download the original files straight out of the camera and determine that for yourself: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9ZhDqZ6DYvfN2c3eHJsMFBhM2s/edit?usp=sharing

• @QuickHitRecord If youre happy with the GH2 thats great. Many of us will be happy to use the d5200. Theres no such thing as a perfect camera. Its good that there are more options.

I do find it odd when someone states the D5200 is totally unusable for any filmmaking. Thats just bollocks.

• If youre happy with the GH2 thats great. Many of us will be happy to use the d5200. Theres no such thing as a perfect camera. Its good that there are more options.

Absolutely.

I do find it odd when someone states the D5200 is totally unusable for any filmmaking. Thats just bollocks.

Me too.

• I have been using the d5200 as a B cam along side an Epic at 5k for the past 5 days. It matches up real well. Rolling shutter isn't an issue and the FPN is absent at daylight WB up to iso 640 (haven't had to go beyond 640). I use a custom flat S curve profile developed with picture control utility. Lens is a sigma 17-70 2.8 with Vari ND, recording at 24p. I also did some side by side tests and the d5200 stands well against the 5k epic. the latitude and DR of the d5200 are very useful for this project along with the s35 size sensor. Sorry I cant share any footage as its for a broadcast project I am producing. I will try to post something once it airs later this month.

• would be great to see how it compares with Epic!

• @olegkalyan It holds up very well other wise I wouldn't be using it

• Decided to hold off on my D5200 purchase, with the NEX7n coming soon with it's new sensor, thought it would be wise :)

NEX can do 1080 60p so that's a big advantage

• D5200 vs D800 low light

• @rigs mind sharing that custom curve?

It's great in controlled lighting or daylight but people who like to run around in the dark won't get much joy. I'm still trying to figure a way around the fixed pattern noise.

• I'm doing some extreme tests, I like to know how far I can push a camera before the image starts to fall apart. This is a good test, my living room has green walls and a green lounge, mixed daylight and tungsten, and light coming from a 24" display in the kids face. It doesn't get much worse! But hey it's the only way I can get 'em to keep still! I tested the D5200 (neutral, sharpening 3, everything else 0). The 5D MKIII (prolost). Both set to 24p @ 3200 ISO f/4 with a 35mm Leica Summicron-R on the D5200, and a 50mm Summicron on the 5D.

Everything was underexposed by over a stop, transcoded to ProRes 442HQ and graded in FCPX with filmconvert and magic bullet looks. Everything Post sharpened except the ungraded shots. I haven't posted a magic bullet looks grade of the 5D shots because quite frankly it looks like shit. I've picked a winner from this particular test but I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks. If everything looks like crap it must be your monitor. Notice how there's no noticeable fixed pattern noise @ 3200 ISO. No grain was added. I white balanced the D5200 with a grey card and did a 3500k kelvin temp by eye on the 5D.

D5200 ungraded image

5D MKIII ungraded image

Notice how the D5200 set to neutral with 0 contrast is flatter than the 5D set to neutral with contrast at -4. Saturation is 0 on the D5200 and -2 on the 5D. If you go any flatter on the D5200 things start to get really ugly, good luck trying to grade it. I've got more testing to do but so far this is my secret sauce.

D5200 magic bullet looks grade image

D5200 filmconvert grade (Epic M LUT, FJ SuperX 400 stock) image

5D MKIII filmconvert grade (Canon Standard LUT, FJ SuperX 400 stock)

I'll run the same test in daylight at when the bloody rain stops! It's going to be really interesting to see how these cameras compare in a really well lit scene.

D5200 ungraded.jpg
    1281 x 720 - 262K
    5D prolost ungraded.jpg
    1282 x 720 - 259K
    D5200 magic bullet.jpg
    1281 x 720 - 339K
    D5200 Epic M LUT.jpg
    1284 x 720 - 318K
    5D Canon STD LUT.jpg
    1281 x 720 - 305K
  • your kids are adorable man!

• About the custom curves - have you tried Lpowells stuff yet? Super flat!

• "your kids are adorable man!"

Yes they are, it's gonna be hell for me when they're teenagers! I'm gonna get a gun!

Yeah I've got LP's profiles loaded, I think they're a great idea but you have to be very careful how you use them on this camera. The fixed pattern noise is a problem, and this test was done specifically to see if I could defeat the FPN which I managed to do even though my lens cap ISO tests showed shitloads of FPN @ 3200 ISO.