Personal View site logo
GH2 Possible Improvements
  • 288 Replies sorted by
  • Hello Vitaliy,

Things I personaly would like to see:

ISO range extened down very very low e.g. 0.1 ISO (if at all possible) and to have this useable with auto ISO. The use of this would be so a timelapse (when using stills or video) can be set at a fixed shutter speed and fixed apature, but with a large ISO range you will still alow perfict exposure from day to night. maybe a sensible range would be from 1ISO-12,800ISO in 1/3rd stops when using auto ISO.

For when using auto ISO alow the user to input the minimum shutter speed the camera will try to keep, and alow the user to specify the range for the auto ISO to work within. (hopefully from the above request 1-12,800ISO).

If the ISO range was only able to span x stops of DR then moving the ISO maximum down to 6400 or 3200 and moving the lowest ISO from 160 down to 80 or 40 would be good. (as the higher ISO settigns are not realisticly good quality and the use of lower ISO would negate the need for ND filters and hopefully give a better IQ).

Some kind of auto record, start triggered by movement and/or noise. (user definable? if just a % setting) Would be good for surveillance and wildlife filming. (e.g. bird nest box)

Inbuilt intervolometer for full timelapse control - this could be combined with your camera sync part of the FW, so you may set 1 camera as a master and the others (why not lots i.e. 99) as slaves - so recording for stereo could be setup and controled from the camera.

This might be extended further and alow the slaves to offset the triggering, and one after the other in sequence (must be user selectable with a good range from very very small e.g. 0.001sec to 1/24 sec). - this would be good for timsplice work, having 2-99 cameras sync so each one fires x.xxxsec after the last in a chain.

Creating further extentions of the 40fps mode - if possible could you get a 80fps mode @ 2Mpix or 400fps @ 640x480.... could you get 24fps @ 8Mpix?

Changes in zoom with the crop mode 1.4x, 2x, 2.6x - maybe just multiples of whole pixels is possible?

Keep up the good work - as soon as I can afford a GH2 I will be donating to the cause!

J
  • Hi Vitaly, long time reader here.

To me, a major problem with the GH2 is color banding... Really tricky with professional work, as debanding with grain or plugins like sapphire helps but don't really solve the problem.

And, as stated by Oedipax, 4/3 sensor crop for anamorphic shooting would be a must !
    And while I'm dreaming : Desqueezed monitoring ;)
  • If you can squeeze out a bit more dynamic range from the sensor that would be excellent.
    Also, if we could get HDMI out during ETC that would sure make my life easier.
  • I would love higher bitrates along with more variable frame rates, if possible. Better still, why you were recording to be able to adjust them on the fly.
    This may already exist but haven't found it yet. Would love to turn off the eye piece so that when I hold the camera close to my body it doesn't shut off the view screen. Drives me nuts.
  • similarly to having more contrast options, it'd be cool to have more sharpness options, that is, being able to go below -2.
  • 1080p60
  • Higher bitrate please. 1080p24, 720p60, 720p30. 100Mbps!!!
  • > Jpg .mov's at different framerates? 24p? 60p?

This requires different sensor setup.
    And we not at this level yet. Hope that we'll be.
  • Jpg .mov's at different framerates? 24p? 60p?
  • It would be great if you could make the senor read at 50p (like it does when in 50i mode), but only write every second frame to the card. That way you could have 25p with much less rolling shutter. It would only be worthwhile if the quality was as good as the 24p mode though.
  • @Mihuel

>What about this : possibility to record 4 channels of sound : 2 from external mic and 2 from internal ?

This is not possible, of course. As they use same stereo ADC :-)

• 4K video to do lossless software stabilization in post :)
  • What about this : possibility to record 4 channels of sound : 2 from external mic and 2 from internal ?
  • I think I not thought about that :). Forgive me,today I'm a little distracted :)
  • >electronic stabilization in crop mode

What do you mean under this?
    If something like stabilizers used in cheap cameras then it won't be possible, of course. As it is always special hardware in cameras. If you look at software plugins that do similar things in post you'll see how demanding they are.
  • I think its SF for Gh2 but what about electronic stabilization in crop mode ?
  • i second that. nice to see you here Oedipax!
  • 4x3 (1440x1080) mode in order to shoot 2.66:1 footage with 2x anamorphic lenses (or classic academy ratio with spherical).
  • Gamma shift is impossible to fix, most probably, as Panasonic cameras use different sensor modes in preview and recording.
  • +1 25p, increased bitrate, plus fixed gamma shift when recording. Best wishes for the project.
  • I'd be happy with just increased bit rates in 1080/24p mode. :)
  • yes. give us 25p
  • Why in the name of all things good did Panasonic disable ETC mode while HDMI socket is in use? Can the processor not handle it or something?
    Waiting for you to do your magic, V :)
  • That's right. 25p is absolutely top priority. Then bitrate :)