Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
It's Official: Firmware Update for DMC-GH2 / G3 / GF3 / GF2 coming
  • 372 Replies sorted by
  • On the official site it states "[EX.TELE CONV. (Extra Tele Conversion)] can be set ON/OFF separately in photo or video recording"

If this means tele mode will be available for photos too.. That would be wonderful by it self.
  • Actually I don't really understand the big anticipation for the firmware update?
    I'm a bit curious too but chances are they simply just deliver what is being listed on their page.
    Meaning no 25p and especially no 4:2:2 or even 10-bit. Maybe some day in the future I can see another small firmware update if they should release new lenses to justify such a release. Maybe THAT update will include 25p. But anyways...can't be really bothered with 25p, I know some of you do though so there :)
    I'd be happy to see some bugs gone, as well as curious to see what the improved noise reduction actually does.

If this update would give us access to the full power of the camera I'd be super nervous but this...meh!
    Sorry if I sound like a party pooper but take it easy :D
  • So perhaps within 2 weeks from now:-)
    Worse things have taken longer than expected.
    Be patient
  • "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."
    Winston Churchill
  • Every begining has the end and every end has the begining.
  • @rains :)
    the comment was from a third party (someone I don't know) watching the footage, unaltered..
    The director of the showreel (who's also a part of the production company) liked the look of the gh2, hence I got to shoot most of the stuff..
    It had just gotten the gh2 back then, so it would have propably looked a lot better if I've shot it now. I definately would not have used stock gh2 either. ;)
  • Panasonic released the GF2 new firmware on (Oct. 5, 2011) when they say beginning of October ...
    so I think the GH2 new firmware will release very soon ...
  • Am looking forward to noise reduction. And also curious about the cryptic "24p editable mode". It's so esoteric, I dun know what the marketing pp at Panny are really saying
  • LOL @FEHA you have the bug too!

I guess I'm just dying to know if I can toggle the ETC mode while recording. That'd be amazing if I could.
  • they will make it as a x-mass present ... :-)
    so not beginning, not end than middle ...
    these two days in Dec looks to me as two years ...
  • No. There is a beginning, middle and end. No sane person would say December 30th is the beginning of December. Using that logic, everything is the end that comes right after the beginning. So December 1st @ 12:01 A.M. is the end of December.
    Where is my firmware????

:) Just bored out of my mind at work. 6 year old is pretty good actually; I was going for more like my 5 or even 2 year old at home. Which I will be annoyed by all night thanks to NO FIRMWARE. :)
  • Yep. Beginning is everething before the end :-), So 30 Dec is also beginning :-)
  • "beginning"....

Dec has just begun. The beginning ain't over yet. Gawd. You guys sound like my 6 yo kid.
  • @stonebat
    "will be available worldwide from the beginning of December". That was yesterday.
  • Dec aint over yet :)
  • I was going to post a reply saying "Firmware available" and then "Made you look!". :) But alas, I too am waiting.
  • So it's Dec, but still no firmware update in sight
  • It's a showreel from a production company they expect it to be red, or your telling me they know what red looks like? haha
  • it does take effort to make both of them look bad, the footage isn't the problem, my technique is deafly not the problem
    :) it's the size of the cams, and very comfy position canon has, people have asked me if i used 5D and L glass so i know what you mean.
  • Someone said, after watching material from my neighbouring production company's showreel (which I shot on an unhacked gh2) - Is it Red?

(and no, it was not projected, it was on a large iMac monitor)

Not looking for an argument or anything, just saying it takes a bit of effort to make the gh2 look bad.
  • The feed back here is priceless, a wealthy communitytyty tyty tyyy "That was a cyber echo" Ahh I had no intention of doing green or blue but if i needed it i'd be capable, ahh well fingers crossed for 25p, the Lumix /National Geographic collaberative making everyone aware, I thinks it's a regional thing, people here are canon up to the neck and so forth, big cams, but like i said you guys are not wrong, the looks i get when people see the GH's first impression is they are small, ahh when seeing the material they are indeed impressed but unsure it takes some swaying we need to remember canon have a very comfy spot and have for a while, anyway but there's much to be improved to satisfy my want of a near limitless unit to have no problem with any shot i script, jellow is really annoying but then again the photography style fincher used in the Zodiac and se7en are among my favourite so i guess i'm ok for now, but the GH3 really needs to be solid if it comes. IF
  • Also, to be honest most producers or clients don't care about what camera you use. DSLRs are so common today, most of them put more effort in a nice price. If you were to show them what picture quality you get most of them will say it's fine.
  • @rains it's our jobs to make the producers (and the customers) understand... So if they find it dodgy, just say that the gh2 will get you the best possible image under 20k. Even better than panasonics own pro offerings.. Although, it of course depend on the project - what makes a difference or not. I'm going to get myself the high end gop1 spanning card (64gb) and never think twice again about using the gh2 if aesthetics is the main thing to go by and there isn't unlimited funds to spend. For a different type of project I will have no qualms over choosing another type of gear.

Obviously, I'm looking forward to 25p. Finally. It was stupid to omit it in first place and if we go by comments, Panasonic never really thought it would be a problem.

Like Gabel says, for greenscreen work you can do better by aiming higher, renting or borrowing..
  • Awwww....here in germany it is already December...
    Get the Fish on the Dish - Panasonic xD
    Need it, have had the Power Zoom Lenses for about an Month or so...
  • @rains: I see your point, but I've had no issues with the GH2. I shoot a lot for television production and most production companies here uses 5Ds. I've used my GH2 with a lot of material for them, which has been in 24p (I've just reconformed it, but it is going to be nice with real 25p, not a good long-term solution) and there's been no issues. Most of them aren't thinking about 10bit, 422 and the likes. The times they do it is for greenscreen heavy productions, but those projects are almost always shot on a RED anyway.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions