Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic G6 topic, GH2 replacement camera
  • 1330 Replies sorted by
  • @qadri What mode are you in when you're recording video? Creative Video Mode (what the manual movie mode is called in the G6 documentation) should give you complete control over all the recording parameters and you will definitely see a difference between the highest and lowest ISO settings. Is it possible you have the camera set to automatically adjust the aperture? If so, it will choose a higher f-stop as you increase the ISO to compensate, and a lower f-stop as you decrease the ISO.

Apologies if these are things you already checked, but it's good to rule out possibilities.

• Nice footage prz3mo

• I've got Highlights on now (only works in playback showing first frame) and have read on how to use the histogram.

Problem I have got is that ISO does not seem to be working in video mode. I played back two videos on the LCD, one recorded at 160 and the other at 64000, and both were exactly the same (they looked the same whilst recording too of course).

At ISO 64k you would expect a blown out image. ISO works fine when taking pictures. Is it a fault with my camera or is there a setting I need to change?

• Here is a test of the Monochrome photo style on the G6, in case anyone is interested in shooting B&W in-camera for any projects. I have one coming up, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to share the test results here as well. As usual, make sure to turn the quality all the way up and watch in full screen mode.

@prz3mo Your videos look great! Beautiful vibrant colors in the second one while maintaining nice-looking skin tones.

• Hello :) My video from G6:

• do u prefer the hacked gh2's video or the g6 video?

• I prefer the gh2 over the gh1, much better for video. The Gh1 hacked is still very good, but the hacked gh2 is far better in my opinion. The g6 is my favorite right now over the gh1, gh2, gh3. But I can't wait to get the gh4, I'm in love with that camera.

• @maranfilms, you have a GH1 right? May I crazy if I want to change my GH2 for a GH1? I don't know explain, but my eyes see GH1 more filmic than other DSLRs including Gh2. What do you think? (sorry my english) Thanks.

• @mjfan I mean that by using a speedbooster I can adjust aperture, so I'm stuck at 1.8, which limits things somewhat.... Had it been a Nikon mount and the (expensive) Metabones booster that would be different, but alas it ain't...

• Thanks @maranfilms, it was a 12 hour affair, start to finish, not kit, no budget... The lot was done on a slider and hand held. We turned the whole thing around edit and all - in under a day. Had we had more time I think we'd have explored much more in terms of shoot aesthetics, but I think what came out the back was acceptable...

• @spinsterboy, watched your video, I like a good amount of the shots, but others I felt the framing was off. Lighting in certain shots could have been a bit more dramatic, some were just to flat and not a whole lot of dynamics. Use lens flare's sparingly, You went a bit overboard which in my opinion kills the effect. I loved the high key shots under the sheets, again some of the framing felt a bit distracting there too though. I would have shot some extreme close-ups, and done some slow pushes towards him and her to give a connection and intense feeling, A close up of her hand on his face would have been cool, stuff like that to suck the viewer in. Also would have liked to see more of the venue, it looks to be a beautiful hall, maybe a jib shot, or a shot from the audience perspective. Grading was a bit flat, sort of dull at times. Seems to be missing that POP! Despite my critique, it was nicely done, I'm only nit-picking to get you to see things in a different light. The song was really good to. Thanks for posting :-)

• what do you mean by saying the dumb mount won't cut it with drama? why won't you be able to use the sigma 18-35 for a short film? i thought it was good and convenient at the same time

• I shot this on my G6 with an RJSB and the Sigma 18-35, came out quite well, next is a short film. But I'll need some primes as the dumb mount won't cut it with drama.

Love to know thoughts...

• I will do some experiments now. I'll try recording on super high iso to see if the LCD shows an over exposed image.

My main worry was that it would be too dark but I was proved wrong. I'm always worried about videos coming out too dark indoors because of my experience with camcorders.

• @Quadri The LCD brightness is a setting in camera set-up, if it's to dim, some will expose the camera to make it look proper, but the footage recorded is over exposed. Just a guess though. Iso 160 would have been better, but there's not a huge difference between 160and 200. I think it's a 1/4 stop.

• @GoldHouseMedia - oh great. I've never used the Histogram. I thought it would be too complicated. I've not come across the Highlight feature but will explore both now.

• @maranfilms thanks, I'll check LCD brightness. I double checked my settings and they were as I stated.

Does the LCD also account for ISO setting? Looking back I should have done ISO 160 instead of 200 but on the screen the recording looked fine.

• @RdC, I could be wrong, but from what I understand, the GH3 has the sony sensor, G6 uses same sensor as GH2.

• @mcoser G6 has a Sony CMOS sensor, GH2 has a Panasonic NMOS sensor. It is discussion about it somewhere here on PV. About the screen change when you are push record button: i´ve tested it, and in PC is same picture-look like before you push record button. Sorry for my english, i hope you will understand:)

• @maranfilms i suppose now that since the g6 uses the same sensor as the GH2 is a non-resolved issue. In my GH1 this did not happen

• It shouldn't be that different, have you checked your LCD, to make sure the brightness is not turned down to much, it sounds like that could be the issue. If your adjusting your aperture to where it looks good on the LCD, but then the footage is overexposed in your editor, that's my only guess as to what could be the issue, unless it was user error, but only you know that.

• @qadri You can use the Histogram or the Highlight features, which are available in the Custom menu. The Histogram will show you how much of your image is exposed at each luminosity level and the Highlight will make overexposed areas flash black so that you know which parts of the image are blowing out.

• I recorded a speech yesterday on the G6 and the picture looked fine on the LCD when recording but when I played back on my monitor it was over-exposed! ISO was set to 200 and aperture f1.4. (Indoors with no special lighting but a couple of lamps to assist ceiling chandeliers.)

I'm quite upset as I have to see what I can fix in post otherwise the recording is wasted.

How is one supposed to tell looking at the LCD if a shot is properly exposed in recording video?!?

• If you do post it up, I would like to see the difference, been wanting to shoot something in monochrome for a while, just don't know what to shoot yet. I was thinking maybe in the city, with like a grainy raw look. Love that.

• @maranfilms Yes, I think the noise/grain from the G6 looks pretty nice in B&W, and it seems like turning the NR all the way down saves some detail in the midtones that would otherwise be smoothed over, at least on that relatively contrasty setting. Maybe I should do another test that is just between monochrome settings.