Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @vicharris Thank man... I guess the other cable i bought was crap IDK? I went ahead and ordered the one you linked me to today :)

• @vapourtrail Contact BM on Friday morning, but had not yet response. Sorry for the ignorance. What is an RMA? I live in Spain, and this can last forever ... @Dionysus ...i cant see in your footage any signs of Hot Pixels...but sometimes are visible in a "big screen"...

• Did anyone notice I was already at 1/50s exposure ISO 800 at f2 - just where is more light supposed to come from for scenes like that - a Noctilux? Sorry to say friends - that's the brightest a pitch black night scene will appear on any BMPCC footage without 5K spent on glass! I graded it using the scope and the waveform shows plenty of clipped highlights with breathing room in the blacks. Zebras were set at 90% and filled any light source that was being filmed. Do you have a CRT monitor? Maybe I'm just used to a lack of Light pollution - I do live in a small dark town. Cheers :)

vector.jpg
    289 x 358 - 49K
  • i agree , but when it wasnt too dark (the car coming toward it directly) it looked good actually... give it a little more light, crush it down in post if you want too, but let it breathe ! black magics cameras have most of they dr in the upper end of the spectrum anyway.

• @Dionysus I don't know what you are expecting of this camera but you're going to get noise and all kinds of stuff when you record a scene like that. It's WAY too dark. This is absolutely the wrong way to shoot with this camera.

• @Dionysus The footage seems way to dark for me. I can hardly see anything in the frame lol.

• @Inean I had the same issue. 30+ pixels visible in low/extreme low light at 800-1600asa. None visible at 200-400asa. Only a handful showed up daylight/properly lit footage, but enough that it was distracting. I contacted BM and they had me send them a bunch of screen grabs showing the noise in different asa's and shutter angles. They authorized a RMA for me.

If your Pocket Cam is similar I suggest contacting them.

• @Inean I recorded high DR scenes with mixed lighting at night and noticed a persistent noise pattern as well - it stays in the same place during pans. Overall the BMPCC sensor is still impressive and the footage is very malleable to color correction. Anamorphic film look at 23.98fps 172.5 degree shutter ISO 800 f2 50mm Summicron graded in Lightworks

• @vicharris No, are permanet and visible in low footage!On and off also...its normal noise i suposed, but fixed pixels in white...visible in dark zones , better in 1600 iso...some more people detected in Bm forum...some people also receive a new bmpcc! Comon people...do a little 1600 iso cap test please...

• @maulkentor

I recognize that leaning tower in the back ground. Where did you get you bmpcc from?

• Love the Rokinon 16mm t2.2!

• Low light: Chinese Lanterns with Rokinon 16mm T2.2.

• @Inean Just tried that on mine and I actually do see em everywhere but they turn on and off. Is that what you're talking about? I might have 15 or so.

I've never seen it in any footage though but I never really pixel peep anymore.

• Some people (including me) are suffer problems wiht Hot / dead Pixels. A quick test . Iso 1600, cap on the lens, activate peaking(double click focus), and vuala!...me around 20 noticiable "hots" in very low light situatons. Some one more??

• @shian haha I found myself doing the same thing first day I had the camera outside. Didnt have a micro hdmi cable yet. Not comfortable. Now I've got my DP4 going MUCH better.

• yeah, the glare on that sucker is awful - makes the rig almost completely useless. I had to throw a jacket over my head like a 19th century photography hood to see a damn thing on it.

• @Dionysus

It is all cool, but you need to show all this to service center, not us :-)

• Update: My BMPCC scheduled for replacement has shown a hot pixel and faint horizontal bars in the footage as well. I will be asking the store to send me a test video before accepting a replacement unit under warranty. The original videos are available a page back in this thread. image

crop_shp.tif.jpg
    1920 x 658 - 916K
  • @theconformist 1.5 metric but I took it off. Adds even more glare to the worst screen I've seen since my HVX200. Actually my 200 had a better screen :)

• @vicharris @shian Noticed you are using the ViewFactor cage with the LCD protector - do you know what size allen key I need to tighten the LCD protector? All of my allen keys are too big

• Yep, Shian is the one that will make it look good! I was just there to hit the red button and keep it in focus :) Here's a few more set photos.

558432_10151625393556316_1386996669_n.jpg
    960 x 631 - 77K
    1381589_10151625393046316_74558336_n.jpg
    960 x 720 - 81K
    1382400_10151625392856316_1326890282_n.jpg
    960 x 720 - 96K
  • Right on, well I'm looking forward to seeing it!

• I'm not editing it, and I haven't had time to play with them, I'm onto another project. I will be grading this though when they have a lock on it.

• @Vicharris nice, can't wait to see the finish products :)