Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @balazer thanks. Unfortunately 99% of uw housing are designed for standard lenses only except those for somewhat pro camera like FS700 or Red.

I hope that the lumix 8mm will have a not so much fisheye distortion. We will see :-)

• @Cid - Oh got another mass email form BMD about the event a few hours ago. This time it's from Grant Petty.

He writes:

"This is a great opportunity for those who can't make it to the big trade shows to come and meet us in person and get to see our newest products. We'll be showing our new Ultra HD and 6G- SDI equipment, the latest DaVinci Resolve 10, our Cinema Cameras, and the rest of our latest developments."

I like how Cinema Cameras is plural... @JBV_CINE - Now I'm positive you're right :) I'm excited now!

• Wooden camera with their pocket rig. They have their prerelease unit so hopefully the cameras will be released on time.

• Wooden could also just have a dummy prototype given to accessory manufacturers.

• @Wilbo Thanks again for the news. Lets hope for the best!

• Man... I really hope they're bringing a bunch of cams and selling them at the show... !

• I liked the comment under the Wooden video:

"What is left of the "pocket" concept once you've attached all those accessories?"

• The Wooden Camera stuff for the BMPCC is cool and all, but I'm waiting for a super lightweight 3 handle set up with a built in HDMI lock to come out. I have no desire to make this camera a rigged out cinema camera. I want it to be a lightweight, easy to hold, handheld camera like it was intended to be.

• @peaceonearth 13 stops of dynamic range. xD

• Any chance this (or the s35 cinema camera) will get a p50 at max resolution firmware update? It is like a crime that it does not have both fullhd p50 and touch screen (let alone ultrahd, and true 4/3rds sensor, or at least uhd stills with uhd HDMI video out to a external recorder). I have not ordered one, or the 4k camera because they are both limited to max p30 framerates.

• @Mystery Don't think it will happen. Pretty sure I read they are not going to be able to help on this, especially for BMPCC as it would cause overheating issues.

That is why I have a GH3 for 60p footage (plus due to less crop, I can use it for ultra-wide footage as well).

• Looking forward to seeing your guys' footage once this puppy rolls out. From the test footage sp far, it doesnt look to be a significant upgrade from the GH3 so opting to pass, for now.

• GH3 is great, hell, so is my GH2, but pocket cinema camera for 'film making' is in a different league. 8-bit is like trying to shoot a film with your hands tied behind your back.

• I hear ya and know it from a technical standpoint but the proof's in the pudding so just waiting to see those knockout videos that'll make this a Must Buy for me.

• the footage from the pocket camera looks so much like video to me and not very filmic/cinematic. yes it has more dynamic range and all that but as far as aesthetics i've seen way better looking footage from the gh2

• no one has properly shot something filmic/cinematic on the bmpcc, so i think your quick to judge. when the gh2/gh3 came out people were still saying they looked like video, maybe thats because everyone was shooting bushes and cats still?

• Video takes on a "filmic" image in the lighting and the grade. Limited DR and 8-bit gives you very little room for error. Sure the GH2 and GH3 can look incredibly professional, but only the most talented and resourceful can consistently pull that image out of the camera, and I'm not one of them.

• @mjfan where have you seen the footage?

• Hold your horses, you guys are talking about gear when no one has seen the camera in the stores yet. Say what you like about GH3/GH2, people hv shot hundreds of hours of footage with it. And July is coming to an end.

• @kazuo I did't think there was much said about the gh2/3 in this thread, only bmpc speculations =)

@itimjim thats a good way to put it, to some degree it all starts off as videoish doesn't it in this digital age.

The same video vs cinematic debate will pop up again and again for new cams pre release, its just the way the internet works =)

On that note, only 5 more days people! haha.

• New footage of BMPCC, taken in Auckland, New Zealand

• ntsan, damn you beat me by 10 minutes! :-P I saw Hook (the guy who made this) post this an hour ago, but only now thought to come share this here :-P

At @0:44 I recognise a couple of my friends! It is a small small world :-) (as I'm an Aucklander too}

This is pretty exciting as this is the first ever footage online aside from John Brawley's, people should be feeling very confident now about the delivery dates :-) {or at least something kinda close to them, but remember this is when they ship to their distributors which means a bit longer until it actually gets in your hands. And depends on how early your order was}

• NIce - but I cannot get over how so much of the BM footage across the range of cameras has a blue brown over saturation. Can anyone else notice it. It's like you can see BMCC footage right away. I have played with raw files, prores you name it - there is this leaning to blue brown and a grit. Is it possible to get rid of it and make it look cleaner or is that just a colour science limitation. I don't really like the leaning if I am honest. I like that the footage looks gritty but I hate that there is this colour leaning. Sony and Canon can give you a pure clean image which you can dirty up later. Anyway - after all this fuss is settled between GH3, 5 D Raw hack etc I have settled on this cam. Very promising

• @ntsan Really cool mate. Haven't been to Auckland for ages -- was nice to see it, and also can't wait for my own BMPCC.... which lens was used?

• @ahbleza, he posted full details at the vimeo site, just click the Vimeo icon in the video and read the description. He also said he took it 'for a test drive', so this was a loaner, not a purchase.

Really wish I could afford two of these and lenses... eventually.