Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
RED EPIC DRAGON [finally a reality]
  • http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/10/red-jannard-dragon-sensor-best-dr

Red Camera's bombastic CEO, Jim Jannard, says that internal testing of the new 6K Dragon sensor proves that it's the new "resolution and dynamic range king." He also claims it will be "the cleanest sensor you have ever seen, ISO 2000 looks better than MX [the current sensor] at ISO 800." The imaging chip was first outed at NAB in April, promising 15+ stops of DR and 120fps at a full 5K of resolution, with $6,000 upgrades for Epic customers by the end of the year. Owners of the $9,700 (brain only) Scarlet-X will also get the Dragon, though no price or date has been given yet for that camera. Needless to say, some independent testing will be needed to substantiate his claims, but Jannard sure does sound confident.

I just got all tingly.

• 85 Replies sorted by
  • Compression Test

Video Source Comparison

Difference between color spaces

ISO Test

• LOL! I thougt Vitaliy would finally like the RED camera after seeing that video!
    I need that upgrade on all my cameras...

• The RED EPIC and RED DRAGON now have a new Multi-Shot feature for continuously shooting frames while holding down the record button, a Motion + Stills feature that marks frames for you to extract in post, and a new stills-mode state that’s enabled with the Stills/Motion slider on the camera.

• Jonah Rubash takes the Magnanimous Epic Dragon out for its first spin and checks out RedGamma 4.

• Worked with some Dragon elements last weekend. Surprisingly noisy in the red channel. Really noisy.

• which camera shot this???
    gh2 red one red 6k bm 4k 5d3 raw

• Very interesting article here from Art Adams, an experienced cinematographer, and his love/hate relationship with the RED cameras, and what he expects from the Dragon.

http://provideocoalition.com/aadams/story/when-a-camera-manufacturer-hates-me

• @shian

That's a good catch! I have globalmediapro 190wh batteries and they works fine. One line of them are for R1, and they can pass information to the viewfinder/monitor, so they are like original ones, but way cheaper and more powerful :-)

• Pink highlights are a result of bad color correction. I own an Epic and teach all three (Red One, Scarlet, and Epic) . so what the point? Point is that Red makes a good camera. it's business style evokes high emotion for and against but if you know what your doing, and you enjoy color correction, the Red cameras are a blast to work with.

People love to cut them down, but am very happy to see a camera constructed here in the US. no, not all the parts are from here (that's usually the first thing haters hit me with) but they are built here. Good for them.

Jay

• Yeah I just had a R1MX fall in my lap for a song. The owner simply didn't want it anymore. [he has an Epic, so the MX was just collecting dust] I made a ridiculously low offer to take it off his hands, and he said, "It's yours." I was stunned.

But it didn't come complete. It's basically just the body, drives, rails, ET breakout, and cables. I still need to rent batteries, lenses, sticks, MB, filters, etc. I'm currently machining a modified rig to make it easier for taller guys like me go handheld without shouldering which is too high for most actors. And this new rig will provide more leverage for the operator without kicking the cables out of the back or shorting them out. It also pulls the drive and battery off the cam and mounts them to my old Glidecam vest. I can probably get the whole rig down to 16 pounds with an Ultra Prime on it, and a clip-on MB.

• @shian

There's a theory here that gives BMCC 4k at 11 DR stops.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/10086/is-this-the-blackmagic-4k-sensor-same-supplier-as-leica-m-cmos

If it's true, i'll not go for it for a second 4k camera other my R1mx.

I really like, instead, the m43 2k BMCC for $995, but there's another story (or topic) :-)

• I'm curious if and when the price on the Scarlet will drop because of this.

It already has dropped the resale value.

• For those who can't afford one, just use that mad crazy skill to show RED that they should give u one for free along with some CP.2s

http://www.hdvideopro.com/7th-annual-emerging-pro.html

• And back to our regularly scheduled program - @OzNimbus we'll have to wait and see when they announce the Scarlet trade-in program which should be after those with low serials get their Dragon's. Then we'll see what they offer for "Battle tested" Scarlet's.

• and clearly you're way too upset to see that you've missed my point entirely - I'm the first to say what camera you shoot with doesn't matter; it's what you do with it. I cut my teeth shooting DV, and shot "Singularity" on an HVX. All of that makes shooting on RED and DSLRs cake.