Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official GX1 hack development topic
  • 363 Replies sorted by
  • @zws The GXI can be used with 3rd party batteries, I have bought a stack of 3rd party batteries and they all work, just not that long. If you mean you would like to use ptool with a third party battery that is a different story. While you could try it, the advice is TO USE ORIGINAL battery.

• Can the GX1 be upgraded to be compatible with the third party battery? Thanks. Wensheng

• OK, I just read all 9 pages of this thread and still have a few questions. My $199 GX1 should be here on Wednesday...excited for the stills portion. I've hacked my GH2 so I'm not a complete newb. Anyway:

-NTSC MP4 1920x1080 30p stock. Does the GX1 hack make the stock 30p a lot better or just a bit better. I shoot 99% butterflies and birds, both stills and video, that are just perched with little movement by the critters themselves. -NTSC AVCHD 1920x1080 60i hack. It sounds like the higher bitrate hacks work here but will I need to--I forget the terminology--strip out the 60i to get at it's true 30p?

Once again, I'm happy to stay stock if I wouldn't see a major return on the MP4 30p. I guess I might hack my GX1 if it was relatively easy to get at the 30p of the 60i, if I understand that correctly.

Anyway, excited to get the cam this week. It will become my dedicated insect cam mated to my Oly 60mm macro. Can't wait. Harold

• hello everyone love the hack but found 2 Issues on my Gx1 bought in the states the Video out option to switch from default NTSC TO PAL is grayed out cannot be selected and if I tweak the Mbps on basic hack on anything above 24 mbps for avchd and mp4 i randomly get a video cancelled due to speed issues of the card message..and camera locks up requiring battery removal tested several class 10 and uhs1 cards with up to 45 megs write speeds formatted in camera and with no issue anyone has any idea on how to fix both issues the video out beeing my main concern . i tried remaking and repatching firmware several times same result thanks for the help keep up the good work.

• It seems that new GX-1's from Japan are delivered with a updated firmware, compare to the V1.1 you can download on Panasonic website (link in the FAQ : http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/index2.html).

It took me a little while to get it but : just increase the version of your hacked firmware by 2 (not 1 a default) using Ptool and the camera will take it, otherwise nothing happens.

I love it, thanks again for the work Vitaliy and the whole team!

• @Micah yes, thanks for the explanation.

Would someone mind checking out if their 1080p MP4 is limited to 27.12 minutes as well, or if this is a peculiar thing with my camera only?

• MP4 is limited to either: a) 4gb b)29min

If it hits either of these, it stops. So if you get a big, fluffy, uncompressed MP4 in the 100Mbps range, you'd hit 4gb before 29mins. If you used a smaller 720p format, you'll hit 29mins first, and it'll still stop, even though you didn't hit 4gb.

Does that make sense?

• @kletkeman thank you for the explanation. I just tried to record MP4 in 720p and VGA but the time limit is still 29.59 minutes. Actually recording MP4 in 1080p gives me only 27.12 minutes on a 32GB SD Card??? I get 4 hours and 5 minutes in 1080p and 4 hours and 8 minutes in 720p when recorded in AVCHD.

• @joushikijin -- mp4 et al tend to files as complete videos, so the 4GB FAT32 hard limit is at play. You will see it stop when it reaches that file size. In which case it might not even be addressed by the patch since there would be so little point. On the other hand, AVCHD uses a format designed to span so any limitations on the clip length are purely artificial. These are definitely addressed by the patch. There is an unfortunate tension between these criteria, since the mp4 format often has superior top end specs after patching (and in the native GH3.) But the AVCHD format is no slouch for a hack like me :-) so I have used it exclusively for years to get the longer clip lengths.

• Greetings Vitaliy and team, I hope all is going well with you. Except for the plane that missed the landing and fell in the ocean off Bali, all is going well here in Indonesia. I am writing to ask for an update on the GX1 hack? We are having great success with the pTools but are eager to enjoy things like Manual focus during shooting and all the other fun stuff a hack would allow. Thanks in advance, jakartaguy

• I used the latest PTool v3.66d and Panasonic's firmware v1.1. I enabled two functions.

1. enabling the option to switch between PAL & NTSC since my camera is PAL.
    2. removing the 30 minute recording limit, same reason as above.

My problem now is that the removal of the 30 minute limit works fine for AVCHD, it shows over four hours but not for MP4, where I am still limited to 27.12 minutes in 1080p. This can be replicated both in PAL & NTSC.

• probably PTool thread.. what kind of problem are you experiencing?

• Where can I report a bug for the GX1 Firmware?

• @adamquesada

I'll add it to the list and check.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Will it be possible to enable the "MJPEG FPS" setting for GX1 in the future releases of Ptools?

• @Mordae I ran your two recordings thru my tests nd could see no streaking. In your original screengrab examples above you have deblocking problems caused by incorrect transcode.

• @driftwood Thanks for your hard work! Greatly appreciated (even though I have no camera yet). When supporting the GalaXian project, shall I leave a special note when contributing?

• @Mordae Im working on the next GalaXian setting at the moment. Could you send me the two test files - mp4 and avchd - Ill take a look. Thanks. Also MADVR is prone to problems if not handled correctly. I will run your tests through my methods.

• @Mordae Thank you for the pictures. Do you have any video samples for downloading? Maybe even before and after hack? (Will get my GX1 from Japan in 5 weeks, from a friend who lives there - so I can't test myself).

• Attached the two files. They're from the blue channel. Both show horizontal streaking, but the AVCHD's is much worse, giving weird 1 pixel patterns at a few places. Also, the blue channel seems to be macroblocking more than the red and green.

Also attached are the framegrabs from both codecs, showing the AVCHD detail smoothing.

AVCHD.png
    826 x 382 - 51K
    MP4.png
    826 x 382 - 53K
    AVCHD-full.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    MP4-full.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • @driftwood I'm using MPC-HC with MadVR, so I doubt it's that. Also it seemed that the MP4 was generally "sharper" too. Not by pixel density, but just seems more detailed in the edges and stuff and without the haloing.

• @Mordae What player are you using/NLE? Check with Windows Media Player (PC) or Movist (OSX) to see if those slants really exist.

• Seems that the MP4 mode has much greater detail and resolution than the AVCHD mode. The MTS files have a lot of vertical streaking too ie. the pixels of slightly slanted lines cling to a vertical streak.

Will post pictures later using GalaXian.

• @JOFO

Yes, and it been fully charged as well. The set is fresh out of the box from japan, just need to set the language thing first. Thanks for the quick reply.

just to add on. finally, manage to update the firmware. thanks.

• Have you using genuine Panasonic battery? Update only works with ganuine battery