Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official GX1 hack development topic
  • 363 Replies sorted by
  • Can I use PTool with Sanity 5.1 parameters on GX1?

• Thanks to Vitaliy and JOFO for your responses. The flash did indeed work. With recommended settings in patches I get a message telling me the San Disk Extreme 32GB cannot keep up when shooting AVCHD FSH. I just ordered an Extreme Pro 64GB which as many of you know is double the write speed. Maybe I should lower the settings but I'll wait until the new card comes. I just donated and will keep in touch. Thanks again.

• Your camera will behave just like stock camera, instead of hacked functions & parameters change, so you will be able to shoot photos as well.. if you want to make it stock, just load firmware and dont check any options instead of version increment. Update and your GX1 is at stock firmware

• Is a hacked GX1 capable of taking still pictures? Is it possible to un-hack the GX1?

I'd like to try 30mbps .mp4, but I'm also nervous about turning my great new camera into a brick.

• Version number don't change. It will show as v1.1 after hack. Version increment is internal counter that allows to update camera. Your patches should be applied.

• I have a new GX1. It came with 1.1 firmware. I downloaded 1.1 from the pany website and loaded it into PTool. Entered 2 as version increment. Checked the desired patches and saved as GX1__V12.bin. Copied that to the SD card root. Opening Body Version Up on the camera the version displayed is 1.1. (Should it read V1.2 at this point?) It does allow me to run Version Up, Upon completion and then checking the firmware version in Set Up it remains at 1.1. The camera seems to ignore v12.bin on the SD card. When it's finished running Version Up nothing has changed. I have read all that I can find. Could you please point me in a direction? I will donate substantially if I can get this working. Thanks.

• @gk5 Thanks for posting the video. Even on Youtube it looks pretty good. Crisper look than normal DSLR videos I am used to.

A few questions if I may. Was it shot on mp4 or avchd mode? What was the exact setting you used for bitrate? (30000000?) And lastly, were you able to view your movie files on camera once you applied high bitrate ?

Thanks

• I posted a video with 30Mbps MP4 GX1 footage on my youtube channel, here is the link:

Note: Youtube brings down bitrate after process 1080p videos to 6-8Mbps, so the quality will not be the same when you watch it, also, no embedding of my videos are allowed, if link doesn't work, watch it directly on youtube, just copy and paste...

• Hi everyone. I posted some GX1 issues on the 3.66 thread so I'm reposting it here.

I am using U.S. version GX1 (NTSC) and like many of you pointed out the 'video out' menu is turned on by the hack but greyed out and non functional.

I also had other kind of problems. I mainly shoot with 1080p mp4 mode, and whenever I increase the bitrate more than 23mbps the camera loses ability to 'view or playback' movie files. Camera freezes whenever I try to select a movie file - any movie files, regardless of their bitrate - when recording bitrate is set to higher than 23 and it forces me to take the battery out to reboot. Camera can still shoot higher bitrate, except for when the SD card fails to catch up, and recorded video is playable on a computer. I just can't access videos on camera without freezing it. Hopefully this problem would be resolved by the next release.

Like many people here I am immensely grateful for the existence of the hack tool, and appreciate the continuing development. Tools like ptool or magic lantern for Canon cameras give users the true value that are often held back by the corporations. Thank you.

• @driftwood were there any updates to the AVCHD side of things since V2? Would it be possible to get those updates? Like a V2.1? I understand that you don't want to release a whole new version if it isn't complete but I can live without mp4 changes for awhile. Thanks as always for your ongoing work!

• the GX1 is now $199 and not having manual video is what is keeping me from buying it

@djhessler I just went ahead and bought one anyway last week (first think I'll do is hack it! Once it arrives, takes a while to get to New Zealand). When it is that cheap, why not?

I'll just keep my fingers crossed that manual controls becomes available in the future, and even if it doesn't the GX1 is a great second camera for me, for many uses such as just a normal everyday "always with me" camera that isn't as big and bulky as the GH series is.

• Until there is a fix for mp4 modes GalaXian v3 won't be finished.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Vitaly, I hate to ask again about this, I read this hole thread, and I know you are still working on manual video for the GX1 but I'm curious if you think that it will be possible, the GX1 is now $199 and not having manual video is what is keeping me from buying it, from what you have seen so far, will we be able to have manual controls? By the way, thanks for all your work, you make me keep buying Panasonic gear, got 2 gh2's because of your hack, now I got 2 gh3's, thanks for everything.

• @caselxasd that is the latest one I have too (hope that helps your peace of mind)

• Was there an update to GalaXian? I just loaded V2 (from page 5) and it looks great and works, but I saw that @driftwood mentioned working on the next GalaXian setting. I tried a search and came up empty so I'm guessing it hasn't been released yet. Figured I would ask anyway.

Also, not sure if I should be posting this elsewhere, but if I want to record more I could always lower the bitrate correct? My 16gb card is showing 23minutes with the V2 settings in AVCHD 1080i and it was something north of 2 hours with the stock firmware if I remember correctly and I'd like to sacrifice a little quality for a little more space. Do I lower the bitrate in the AVCHD Compression in the End User patches or the Bitrate Settings in the Tester patches? or Both? Sorry if it's a noob question, been having trouble finding a clear cut answer. Thanks in advance for any help or information from everyone!

• @simone9it sorry, mine used to be PAL only and now I can also do NTSC (Indonesia is PAL country).

• @Jakartaguy I do have the video out menu but it is grayed out and cannot be selected I tested more than one USA NTSC cameras all same result ffiend of mine however has the option working on a european GX1 camera even used his patch and fresh formatted sd camera still option grayed out for video out do you have it working on your NTSC GX1 if yes care to share it thank you

• @Jakartaguy

It is good idea to search this forum for card formatting utilities discussion, we had few.

Can card degrade? Absolutely.

• @JOFO thanks! You know, I didn't even think about my processor overheating but it makes total sense as the camera seems to freeze after the 10th minute of shooting .... I thought it was the card for some reason!

• it's probably overheating.. try to lower bitrate and it should work without issues

• Greetings all, does deterioration occur with SD cards? I recently found my GX1 freezing during shooting with different patches (currently using Canis) and that never happened before. Not even the power button works, I have to pull out the battery! I am using a SanDisk Extreme Pro 16GB card. @zola13 to answer your question, yes the patch allows NTSC+PAL usage: Go to SETUP, 3rd menu, look for VIDEO OUT, you will see PAL or NTSC, and you can then change it to the one you prefer.

• Hi. Can somebody please confirm that the firmware hack really enables PAL/25p setting on a North American NTSC only GX1? Currently there is not even a point in the menu like video output or NTSC/PAL switch. Many thanks!

• Kijjaruk, just as sergiowai mentioned earlier you have to increace the version by 2 and not by 1 as standard.

1. Make sure you use an original battery which is fully charged.
    2. Start PTool.
    3. Load firmware (guess that is GX1__V11.bin)
    4. Click on "Version increment" (the text, not the box - the box must be checked).
    5. Below "Enter increment:" replace "1" with "2".
    6. Double click on "Patches for end users".
    7. Double click on "Interface" and click in the box in front of "All interface Languages" to check it.
    8. Save firmware as "GX1__V12.bin)
    9. Copy the new file (GX1__V12.bin) to the SD card, start the camera and press play (as vhen you want to view pictures and videos). The update should start. DO NOT TURN OFF THE CAMERA DURING UPDATE!

Good luck!

• Hi

Pls help!!!

I bought GX1 from Japan on April'13 and I have some problem about Hack GX1 FW1.1, related with language. I try so many times to use Ptools 3.66 to modified Firmware. I do the steps according with the FAQ page.

I have checked on Interface (all interface languages)

and then Save firmware with "GX1__V15.bin"

every time After my GX1 updated version, the result is the same. Nothing Happen and come back with Japanese. No Language selection in setup menu. I try about 5 times already

Do i miss something

Thanks for your help in advance.

kijjaruk