Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 4: Cluster v2, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion...etc...
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • Mysteron footage from yesterday...

A very quick, very sloppy edit -- slapped on the timeline in the order of capture. This was Vibrant at -2,-2,-1,-2. The ONLY thing I did to it was add mild sharpening to it in post -- to see how it would handle sharpening in post. As far as I can see -- it handled it.

24H, ISO 160, daylight preset white balance.

These are all wide shots -- accomplished with that 14-42 mm "kit lens." I really, really don't like that lens. According to various online evaluations the optimum settings are f/4 at the wide end and f/8 at the long end. All of these shots were wide, and all were in the range of f/4. Distortion is significant and in some images edge softness is outrageous. All that said -- it still works as a wide angle -- and if that lens is all you can afford -- you can succeed in making good stuff with it as long as you pay attention to what you're doing.

This is all geographical "b roll" footage for various historical documentaries.

As a side note -- at around 01:32 in that video I had to blur out my license plate because it was visible. I can tell you with confidence that there's no 1080 camcorder on the market today that would have clearly made out the characters on that plate at that distance. This is unique to this hacked (Driftwood high bitrate) GH2.

• @Exilenorth Did you mean Mysteron settings?

• Mystic Settings... Have started to work with this patch...early morning hours, different lighting elements, metal halide, sodium vapor,incandescent etc. Shooting on the street various alley ways, businesses car lights and such. Appears stable in Premiere Pro CS5, as mts files, but as you work to render, encode or what ever, once you begin to see the results of render or encode you begin to see degradation, extreme noise in certain lighting, when attempting to remove or adjust for the noise then you lose focus, yes I understand lose of focus but... there is something in the patch that is reacting to the different light sources,color shifts....etc. My system is Alienware, built for just this type of work. I wonder if the matrix is being impaired? posting is crap or beyond garbage. Could someone express opinion on the color shifting idea? Thanks

• @luxis I will PM you about the hack (since it is off-topic) but suffice to say that the noisefloor was a catalyst for the work I did.

720 50P (PAL) 720 60P (NTSC)

• @thepalalias 720 50P ...missing something?hm...and a little off topic but what is the improvement audio wise that you have worked on? for me the high noise floor is the real problem and i think this cannot be addressed since it is a limit of the preamp itself.

• @ExileNorth Probably won't be a morning shoot. Lately I get home from work around 3 or 4 in the morning.

• @Luxis 720 50P or 720 60P?

• @proaudio4 thanks for the comparison of the 3. sedna AQ1 seems to be the best! i just loaded it and will go test now. but already had issues - 720p gets blocked ,steady on tripod, almost right away on 16gb 95 mbits SanDisk(original)!which is slightly annoying. With Mysteron was able to use even 15mbits San Disks for 720p without much issues apart form panning on lots of leafy objects...i know its not recommended but it mysterion'sly worked...

• @thepalalias How about Colorado or Lake, Morning light down through the high rises is usually very nice, east-side of the 210. Id help but Bay Area. The air quality there helps make the images warmer. I actually will alert a friend in LA of what you are doing.

• For the record, I'm Michael ;-) Looking forward to performing the tests.

• To all GH2 and camera operators in the greater Los Angeles and SGV areas:

This coming Sunday Michael and I are set to start shooting multi-cam comparisons of GH2 settings . I realized tonight that the more people that help, the more we can compare at the same time. Ideally, we might be able to shoot one setting per camera, allowing us to do more setups or test a greater variety of lighting conditions.

To do this, we need as many duplicate lenses and bodies as possible, as well as operators, tripods and cards. If you can contribute either time or equipment this coming Sunday, please e-mail me.

Shooting is currently looking to take place in one of 3 outdoor locations in Pasadena, Altadena or Griffith Park near Hollywood.

Remember: the more help we get, the more testing results the site gets.

@Driftwood If you think another week would make a difference in terms of having Canis Majoris or Cluster V2 available for the comparison, please let me know and I will try to re-schedule. I think the potential for debugging testing issues with several operators in place at the same time is appealing.

• driftwood April 8
    @mozes What was the GOP of the transcode - 12/15 GOP?

@driftwood i have no idea what you mean

• @Tristan the pre-hack looks super clear to me. What am I missing? Why wouldn't we use the pre v. Sedna?

• @Shian Those were taken closer to the observatory.

• @weeyam Thx ! My best.

• Hello All,

I'm sorry but I can't find the Sedna AQ1 C patch... Could you tell me where is it ?

My best.

David

• @cjdincer ISO was 160 in both cases.

• @thepalalias did you shoot this from the Griffith Observatory, or closer to the Hollywood sign?

• From last night. Shot with Rokkor 58mm f/1.4 at f/2.0, WB 4500K, ISO 1600, in 24H. -2 for everything (Smooth profile if I remember correctly), 24H.

Sedna AQ1 A vs Mysteron

Sedna had average datarates in the 126 to 130 mbps ergion and the Mysteron had 116 to 120 mpbs on average.

I picked a frame from each sequence that the most prominent searchlights in similar positions to make comparing easier. Shots were done in PAL mode and I also shot HBR, SH, FSH and EX versions of all 4 for both Mysteron and Sedna AQ1 A. Hopefully will post those tonight.

000 Sedna AQ1 A0000.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    008 mysteron0000.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • @mozes What was the GOP of the transcode - 12/15 GOP?

• @Tristan what was the iso? Looks great.

• @Tristan

Very very good Job with a sedna Aq20

• @Tristan Beautiful, thx also for the comparison with stock footage.

• For anyone interested, I did a moon test with Sedna Q20b and a 400mm lens in ETC mode. Brief comparison with pre-hack footage at end:

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions