Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • @MikhailK You should be able get long non-spanning files (as in a little under 4 minutes) just by using that recording limit option as discussed. 230 seconds should a quite safe value and you could push it up a few more if you liked. I have not tested yet, but it could be just that simple.

• @thepalalias, if I recall correctly, Orion 9b for example.

• @MikhailK I am not sure I understand. Which old patch(es) are you comparing to?

• @chief Also, there is less of it in 60P modes than 24H. If you are going to use 60P, start with Mysteron. 50P, start with Sedna.

• @driftwood @Mr_Moore @onionbrain,

Thanks a lot. Your explanation/advice on the time limit of 3.65d helped me a lot. Sorry for not answering that long. Been busy.

I wish we could have some patches like Sedna or Mysteron (like the previous old patches of Nick) without spanning. Just one simple long file as it used to be. It used to be more comfortable.

• @Chief none of them really make a noticeable difference if you are referring to judder resulting from rolling shutter, but if you are referring to slow update artifacts in relation to (some of the less good options within) long GOP, then I would say that just about any of the Intra patches or low GOP ones would do well.

Without knowing the card you are going to use, it is tough to reccomend. Start with Sedna or Mysteron if you have a fast one, or SpanMyBU v1 if you have a slow one. That is my two cents.

• Can anyone recommend 1080p settings with the least pan judder?

• @driftwood. Nick, I use Sedna A Q20 and I like it's quality and sharpness. I noticed that you have added de-blocking to Mysteron and have a different set of matrix values. Can you elaborate on what the differences are between Sedna and Mysteron and what was your main focus? Also, if de-blocking has improved the quality, can the same values be added to Sedna settings?

Thanks in advance for your hard work as usual.

• @rajamalik Listened to the audio test and commented on your YouTube. Message me if there was something else you wanted me to comment on and I will try to write back when I am not editing.

• @Ebacherville I did and even tho it seems it is no optimized for it it can be used for now. I'm sure once its been tested fully it will look great. What I would like to see is Sedna!

• @lunalobo75 totally agree on the Mysteron! in my test the noise is so fine(and it shows very little at 1600) so i might even want to use high iso for film grain look that it renders. its a mystery!my bit rates varied from 60 to 150 mbits. Big thanks to driftwood, VK, crandin, palalias and all the nice people here!

• I thought Id share a couple of ungraded frames of a project I'm editing right now. These were shot with Orion v4b.. I believe the Iso is at 640 but I would not swear on it.

Note: These are not the most spectacular images from the project but I don't want to post too much at this point.. We were going for a late 80s/early 90s look with everyting.. (it might not be obvious from these images). Hopefully I can share the end result before too long.

musicvideostill1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    musicvideostill2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • Quick test and grade of Mysteron

• @concius that looks superb.

• @driftwood I know it's a bit much to ask and I appreciate all the work You put in here already but: Would it be possible to give those Patches/Settings in the first post some Marlers like "Extreme" "Experimental" "Good for Noobs" or something like that? Just for me and noob colleagues to know how to sort al those new ones in. That would be just great as it becomes more and more difficult trustting one's own eyes and even more difficult to follow the thread through all these comments and tubeconverted unreliable tests that are nice to look at but almost impossible to judge from.

• Hey guy's, past weekend I have shot a shorty. With sedna A q20 on L settings (77 mbit). (L because i had only 2 32gb cards and there where some timelapse shots of 16 minutes) It wasn't my shorty, i did only camera (14-15 april i will shoot my own shorty on H settings)

But after the shooting days we looked at the shots and wow!! we reallly really liked it! The image is superb.

This is a freezeframe: Sedna a q20 L with some color corrections in fcp image

david.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • OK, after the BT everyones funny bones are probably worn out, but something almost funny happened to me today. I was using Mysteron for the first time today. Shooting in 720p(as is usually the norm for me), shot some flowers, all was well. Shot the big crazy fountain near my home, all was well. Started using ETC, "aww a couple write errors" but still working so long as I keep the iso low enough. Start skatboarding through the park (my dolly system) as the sun played peekaboo in the trees, using higher ISO without Tele, working nicely... gets a little darker, push the iso up to 2500 or so "awww write error, WAIT.. did I switch back to my Sandisk 8gb 30 mb/s card or do I still have that class 4 toshiba in there? HAHA it's the toshiba". After switching to the 8gb sandisk I had no more errors even as I pushed the ISO and film speed way up. The almost funny end.

• is this the BIG news?

• @tuprware Thank you! I've been preaching Mysteron (only with "my opinion" and no evidence to show...just because I encourage everyone to test for themselves and be converts of their own eye and trash the math) since it came out. I had the GH1 a couple if years ago when the gh13 just came out (via DVXuser), I tried a bunch of patches and I settled with cbrandin 44. When I got the GH2 (last year) I switched fully to personal-view and tried myriad of patches. Palalias audio setting only sweetened the deal, which complimented Orion and Sedna setting....then Mysteron, and since I shoot in low light and "run-and-gun", the fine noise in the shadows ade me feel i was shoot with super 16mm back in the 90's. Everyone has a different test with Mysteron, Sedna, Orion (Cake and Sanity), and it great that there are so many patches/settings out there to choose.

For my needs - and that's the real catch, since there so many patch/settings that are subjective to whatever you are shooting (event, lowlight, action/sport, ), that peeps have to realize that there isn't any setting that gonna be "perfect" until you choose what you need for a particular shoot (I'm beating a dead horse here, but like the old days of choosing what film stock for a particular scene) - Mysteron, is the "stock" patch I'm gonna use for over all needs: 24p, HBR 30p, 720 60p - peeps, it's still AVCHD, 8bit, 4:2:0 codec! VK and the boys have made a playstation 1 into a near playstation 2 (with some hiccups)...phew, sorry, long-winded, but I'm, so impressed with Mysteron; and I;m not looking ad high bitrates....just the eye and the type of color grading I'm doing in post.

Whoa, it's late in LA, and I have a few beers...long night of shooting, but hell - VK, crandin, driftwoodm palalias and other have made my investment into a 900 camera a saving grace. Hiccup Whoa, late night diner food now:)

Salud!

• I'm a reader, a lurker, not really a poster, but I've read a lot of shit on this site and been a member for a long time, so I thought I'd contribute today. I have tried pictoris, rocket, sedna q20, sedna q1 and mysteron. Mysteron blew me away today in 720p, albeit I tested only about a minute or less today, it has looked the best to my eye. I shot 1080p24 and 720p60. The files for the 1080p24 were big and nice (400mb for 30 seconds), but the 720p60 were small (60mb for 30 seconds), probably due to the GOP length. Got an error on the sandisk 30mbps card, but on the 64gb, 95mbps card it worked fine (usually does on this card) This clip was not edited or color corrected, you can download the .mts too Panny 20mm f1.7 iso 1600 Driftwood Mysteron patch 720p60 standard -2 -2 -2 -2

mysteron720p60.png
    1285 x 681 - 100K
    mysteron1080p24.png
    1288 x 689 - 137K
    sednaA_H.png
    1298 x 696 - 176K
  • Hey Nick, also Canis Majoris is april fool's day like BT or it's coming for real?

• What is mysteron hack?? Sorry for the question, on first page found it!

• some shots with Sedna A, in overcast day, still see some noise even on 160 iso, in some shots.. otherwise happy, thank you, Driftwood!

• Anyone try Mysteron on a GF2? Just loaded Mysteron on my GF2 did a indoor test clips.. worked well, I will test spanning etc tomorrow.. Using a Transcend class 10 16gb card.

• @thepalalias Incidentally, thank you for your audio work. I've been adding your audio settings to the patches for a couple months and reading your blog. When I go out, I put on the one that fits for what I'm shooting. I also keep ptools on my laptop that is almost always with me on shoots. I'm just paranoid about something unexpectedly coming up and having to reflash on the job. I don't like change when shooting. Between cameras, lights, and 2 wireless mics, I have enough to deal with. I go with 2 GH2's. Sometime one high bit rate and one span-able, sometimes both on a span-able set. @driftwood is coming out with so much good stuff, it's hard to test em fast enough. I keep saying, "I'm good with these settings" then in a moment of of weakness, I'll try a new one and want to use it......

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions