Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • @exilenorth There should be no problems incorporating it. I have not tried it yet but there were no changes between 3.64D and 3.65D that should affect audio (and the settings are already working properly in Mysteron).

I use -2, -2, -2, -2 because I always keep NR at -2 with a decent bitrate patch (and even most of the time if I am stuck in Factory 1.1).

Just a heads up: I will be on the site less until this music video is done, which should be between now and Tuesday.

• @allenswrench , @rafa is correct. I'm not recording out the HDMI, just monitoring through it, while recording to SD

@sanzadez - That's very interesting because my camera doesn't actually act that way. When I plug in the Zacuto EVF into the HDMI port, the screen does not flash to black and then change SH to FH. It doesn't flash at all and doesn't change at all. I can pop the HDMI cable in and out all day and the screen stays the same. I'm curious as to why that would be.

For anyone that is interested Sedna Q20 (option B) seems to be spanning fine in 720p (and 1080i!), and 1080p. I can confirm it requires good SD cards, though. I have tried it with three different cards with mixed results. Sandisk Extreme HD Video Class 10 16GB, Transcend Class 10 16GB, and Patriot LX Class 10 32GB.

The class Sandisk cards seem to perform the best. I have only gotten two write speed errors while recording during my tests with those cards. I recorded about 5 16GB cards worth of footage. The nice thing about the errors so far is that you don't lose the footage, the card just stops recording, and you start again. Both errors occurred when recording 720p, and none happened at 1080i. Also strange, but I couldn't reproduce the errors. They both happened during relatively still (but detailed) shots. I walked around with the camera afterwards, waved my hand in front of it, swish-panned, etc, and didn't get the errors again with the Sandisks

The Transcend cards worked well. Over about 4 16GB cards, I had maybe 5 errors (this was when I was recording in 1080i when I thought it was 720p)

The Patriot LX cards were not usable. I got error after error to the point where I couldn't record really anything on them. (this was at 720p)

And for what it's worth, 720p in Sedna Q20 is really beautiful.

• @thepalalias i got 14 minutes with Mysteron on a 8gb 15mbits SanDisk in 720p(50) before it stopped"due to the writing speed of the card...)!!! i used 800 shutter with 3200iso and hellios lens at f2...really pushing it... fast pans, lots of details...etc included... also the noise is quite bearable and most likely neat video or similar will make it even better. average 30mbits. on this card any other mo

• @thepalalias i got 14 minutes with Mysteron on a 8gb 15mbits SanDisk in 720p(50) before it stopped"due to the writing speed of the card...)!!! i used 800 shutte

• Mysteron 24L shot. Is this right? Simple head shot and it looks ok...but I'm not sure if this is how intra should chart.

mysteron24l.psd
  • @thepalalias i got 14 minutes with Mysteron on a 8gb 15mbits SanDisk in 720p(50) before it stopped"due to the writing speed of the card...)!!! i used 800 shutte

• @luxis You seem to have accidentally triple-posted. You may want to fix that. :) Glad to hear your experiences.

• @thepalalias Thanks man, have a good shoot.

• sorry my connection and browser have gone hire-wired...and cannot seem to deleted the multiple posts...

• @jfro Is there any chance you can re-test to see if the chart is similar in 24H as well? @Driftwood has said before that 24L is not the priority on these patches, so there is a chance it may have issues 24H does not (though I have not tested 24L at all and could not say).

@rajamalik I am halfway through the YouTube video. Will try to get next half during next render or load.

• @exilenorth Thanks, it is just the editing right now. Mixing old HV30 footage with Sedna AQ1 C takes a bit of work.

• @thepalalias I've checked it a couple times. 24H is fine. Consistent full frames as it should be. 24L is the up and down issue.

In testing 60p pointing at tv, it spanned over till the card was filled on Sandisk 32gb @ 30mb/s card. On a transend class 10 16gb card it spanned once then stopped. Also got one clip that was 30 seconds long that read 4 minutes. Trying to duplicate.

24L rolled at 1080 / 24p on a couple tests, but not enough to go shoot a job jet. I don't have enough card speed to roll/ span on the 24H so wouldn't try that on a job.

I would like a 70-80mbs 24L for shooting interviews and would like that and 60p to span. The higher 140mbs for special shots. I'm not one for reflashing my 2 cameras during a job, so that's why I'm looking at the 24L. I had been testing sedna b because I was not having write errors as much as sedna A on the 30mbs 32gb sandisk cards in 24L on busy shots.

• @jfro Have you SPMBU v1 for 24H? I know it is old school but it was my go-to patch for long shoots for months and is in that range. Forget it for SH mode, but there are other options for that.

My test render finished - got to go.

• @jfro Once again. The L modes on the extreme settings are not my concern for achieving working/usable Intra recordings. Everything is primed for the H setting. Try some of my non extreme settings if you want usable Intra low bitrate.

• @driftwood - hi nick, just planning on going out in a couple of hrs to shoot some coverage of a couple of musicians making an interesting recording. Debating whether to give Mysteron or Sedna a whirl for 25p. In a post over page you might have suggested Sedna of the two is more geared to 50/25p settings and Mysteron aims more to favouring 60/30p of the two?

Might just shoot 24p with Mysteron which is currently on, but suddenly thought for this one might be worth having native 25p to avoid a speed up conform down the track. Any thoughts on which is better for 25 if any?

(no worries if you're not online to see this)

• @driftwood. I understand your settings are striving for the best this little beast can do. And I'm energetically trying many of them. I'm just trying to make it so I can have both in one patch (high bit rate and a 70-80 spannable 24p & 60p). I am not complaining, just searching, hoping and wishing for Nirvana. @thepalalias Yes, I've used SPMBU and am happy with it as with some of the other Driftwood settings.

• @jfro Good to hear. I only asked because I would be more likely to use that than 24L if I knew I was mostly going to shoot low-bitrate.

• @thepalalias Incidentally, thank you for your audio work. I've been adding your audio settings to the patches for a couple months and reading your blog. When I go out, I put on the one that fits for what I'm shooting. I also keep ptools on my laptop that is almost always with me on shoots. I'm just paranoid about something unexpectedly coming up and having to reflash on the job. I don't like change when shooting. Between cameras, lights, and 2 wireless mics, I have enough to deal with. I go with 2 GH2's. Sometime one high bit rate and one span-able, sometimes both on a span-able set. @driftwood is coming out with so much good stuff, it's hard to test em fast enough. I keep saying, "I'm good with these settings" then in a moment of of weakness, I'll try a new one and want to use it......

• Anyone try Mysteron on a GF2? Just loaded Mysteron on my GF2 did a indoor test clips.. worked well, I will test spanning etc tomorrow.. Using a Transcend class 10 16gb card.

• some shots with Sedna A, in overcast day, still see some noise even on 160 iso, in some shots.. otherwise happy, thank you, Driftwood!

• What is mysteron hack?? Sorry for the question, on first page found it!

• Hey Nick, also Canis Majoris is april fool's day like BT or it's coming for real?

• I'm a reader, a lurker, not really a poster, but I've read a lot of shit on this site and been a member for a long time, so I thought I'd contribute today. I have tried pictoris, rocket, sedna q20, sedna q1 and mysteron. Mysteron blew me away today in 720p, albeit I tested only about a minute or less today, it has looked the best to my eye. I shot 1080p24 and 720p60. The files for the 1080p24 were big and nice (400mb for 30 seconds), but the 720p60 were small (60mb for 30 seconds), probably due to the GOP length. Got an error on the sandisk 30mbps card, but on the 64gb, 95mbps card it worked fine (usually does on this card) This clip was not edited or color corrected, you can download the .mts too Panny 20mm f1.7 iso 1600 Driftwood Mysteron patch 720p60 standard -2 -2 -2 -2

mysteron720p60.png
    1285 x 681 - 100K
    mysteron1080p24.png
    1288 x 689 - 137K
    sednaA_H.png
    1298 x 696 - 176K
  • @tuprware Thank you! I've been preaching Mysteron (only with "my opinion" and no evidence to show...just because I encourage everyone to test for themselves and be converts of their own eye and trash the math) since it came out. I had the GH1 a couple if years ago when the gh13 just came out (via DVXuser), I tried a bunch of patches and I settled with cbrandin 44. When I got the GH2 (last year) I switched fully to personal-view and tried myriad of patches. Palalias audio setting only sweetened the deal, which complimented Orion and Sedna setting....then Mysteron, and since I shoot in low light and "run-and-gun", the fine noise in the shadows ade me feel i was shoot with super 16mm back in the 90's. Everyone has a different test with Mysteron, Sedna, Orion (Cake and Sanity), and it great that there are so many patches/settings out there to choose.

For my needs - and that's the real catch, since there so many patch/settings that are subjective to whatever you are shooting (event, lowlight, action/sport, ), that peeps have to realize that there isn't any setting that gonna be "perfect" until you choose what you need for a particular shoot (I'm beating a dead horse here, but like the old days of choosing what film stock for a particular scene) - Mysteron, is the "stock" patch I'm gonna use for over all needs: 24p, HBR 30p, 720 60p - peeps, it's still AVCHD, 8bit, 4:2:0 codec! VK and the boys have made a playstation 1 into a near playstation 2 (with some hiccups)...phew, sorry, long-winded, but I'm, so impressed with Mysteron; and I;m not looking ad high bitrates....just the eye and the type of color grading I'm doing in post.

Whoa, it's late in LA, and I have a few beers...long night of shooting, but hell - VK, crandin, driftwoodm palalias and other have made my investment into a 900 camera a saving grace. Hiccup Whoa, late night diner food now:)

Salud!

• is this the BIG news?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions