Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • @onionbrain

I'm not certain I understand the logic of this new feature

The logic seems to be fairly simple. Which high-bitrate patches the GH2 may record corrupted files when it tries to span (and fails). You can prevent this from happening manually by stopping the recording, but if you forget to do it, you may end up with corrupted/missing footage. This option allows you to set the maximum recording time limit manually.

For example, Nick’s Orion patches record just under 5 minutes of footage before the GH2 needs to create another 4 GB file. If you manually set the recording limit to, say, 4 minutes, the GH2 will gracefully stop recording before it fills up the first 4 GB file and your footage is guaranteed to be good.

• @Mr_Moore

Thank you for the explanation. It makes sense if you've experienced "corrupted files when it tries to span." However, I've never experienced "corrupted files when it tries to span."

• Absoultely. Indeed, my 24p Intra patches will just stop and write the file under normal circumstances. Just remember to record a small 5-10 second file after a spanned recording. Simple.

• @onionbrain I ran into files that show up as 0kb-long on slower cards before. (I have since moved on to the 95MB/s 64 GB SanDisk and haven’t had this problem.)

I might be completely off in my understanding of this new option, but that’s what I gather from its description in the tooltip and from what others have been saying about it.

• @driftwood

Thanks for explain, I forgot to say I shoot it on 50p (Standard -2x4). News about Canis Majoris?

• Canis & Cluster v2 are still being tweaked... been so busy looking at colourspace...

• @MikhailK "CANNOT RECORD. FILE NUMBER EXCEED LIMIT"

Had that come up on a shoot today giving Mysteron a try with 64GB Sandisk. Without formatting, or trying to shoot a smaller clip (which I couldn't as it wouldn't record) I just turned off, pulled the SD card & put back in and it was good to go.

• Colourspace. Do you refer to 420/422.? Could you change this parameter?

• LUTs, probably.

• @onionbrain No I filmed it in SMOOTH -2 -2 -2 -1... I am aware of the blue noise issue...

I had a .9 ND filter on to deal with the highlights maybe that's why it looks like nostalgic a bit.

Blue BD didnt help obviously...

• @Driftwood Same question as Paglez : are you working on the Big Breakthrough towards a 4:2:2 codec replacing 4:2:0 ? (Exciting...) As concern picture styles ("film modes" in Pany language) I still stick to "smooth" which offer the best latitude in most situations. However I have noticed that some specific green shades are not correctly rendered in smooth mode. None of Pany modes are really satisfying.

• @driftwood Thanks for all your hard work. Your efforts are so appreciated

• anyone tried mysteron vs sedna A in sharpness and details??

• @Driftwood Thanks for the fantastic patches you made, especially Mysteron. I think it's currently the best patch in terms of dynamic range, colours and noise. Tested it for two days now mostly in nostalgic and smooth, underexposed 2-3 steps and the result is amazing! I'm very excited about your future releases, especially in terms of colours and curves. :)

• Here is a reference PNG for the noise level/detail level of Orion, Factory and Sedna AQ1 A and Sedna AQ1 C that I did a few days ago.

Shutter 1/50 ISO 1,600 WB 4,500K f/4.0 Standard -2, -2, -2, -2 EX 24H

Shot using Rokinon 58mm f/1.4 MD mount with Fotodiox adapter in a tiny isolated closet illuminated only by the light source visible in the frame. The tripod shifted slightly (since there was no room to move) but everything else stayed the same from shot to shot (no lighting changes, etc.).

@No_SuRReNDeR I do not have similar Mysteron footage to compare to, but as you can see, the low light performance compares quite favorably both with Factory and with Orion. Which patch were you comparing the noise level to?

Factory - Blue 32GB-0000.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Orion - Delkin 633x-0000.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Sedna AQ1 A- SDXC 64 -0000.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Sedna AQ1 C - Black 32-0000.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • @Rajamalik I am looking through my footage from a couple days ago to see if I have any that are close enough to be useful. Otherwise, it goes on my to-do-list just as soon as I finish the music video that releases this week for Joanna St. Claire.

• @thepalalias so sweet ,..thank you for u r response my dear friend,...i have been using mysteron for past 24 hrs. at my view i didnt find it having more details like sedna aaq1 does. but, instead it has lower noise and responsive in post production i pushed exposure to +90 stops and its still responsive no white or over light patches anywhere.my big doubt is do i need to keep sedna aaq1 if i need to take more detailed and sharper shots...or mysteron is close enough and i dont need sednas at alll,...this is my doubt.....

• @Rajamalik Are we talking about 24H, or SH mode in 50P or 60P?

• @thepalalias all the best for your music video,..i am very glad and eager to watch your works,..

• @thepalalias no 720 60p has a write error in mysteron ,..eventhough i have 64g 95 m/s cards i couldnt run these,... i am talking about 24H,..the 1080 24p setting ,.....i am really afraid to test other setting and had lots of error in sedna too,... only 24p works great,..

• @rajamalik That is interesting. I shot using Mysteron for 1 minute 46 seconds in 60P SH mode on a Delkin Elite 16GB 95 m/s without encountering any errors, and filled up the whole card with several shorter shots in that mode. I wonder what the difference is.

• @thepalalias omg is it,.... it didnt worked for me,..write error,... did u watched this video,..i did in sedna aaq1 @LumixUser 4:2:2 for mysteron or sedna aaq1 ?? do mysteron lack details and sharpness or it is very near to sedna,..just technically and idea???

• @rajamalik Sorry haven't had a chance yet. This is the first time I have been on the site using a computer as opposed to a phone in maybe half a week. If I can find a few minutes I will try to watch it.

• @LumixUser >Sedna AQ1 Ver. A is VERY special...

There is no Ver.A ??? only C, D and H

UPDATE : ok i see what you're referring too.

• @thepalalias Question, could Orion be worked through 3.65D and incorporate with Pasadena? I am considering this. I anticipate no problems. any experiences. also enlighten me please on -2-2-2-2 and or -2-2-2-1 Thanks

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions