Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 Possible Improvements
  • 288 Replies sorted by
  • How hard would enabling sound recording in the 24fps 1080p 80% speed mode would be? Because, at least in the NTSC version of the camera, it is actually just silent 1080p at the standard 29.97fps - so I use that as my standard shooting mode and I'm always frustrated by lack of sound to sync my second source audio to. Would totally be awesome if this GH2 hack comes to fruition.
  • What you want can be done, but it has to be done in software - you can do it in post. The firmware could theoretically do it too, but it requires a lot of frame memory and some processing power.
  • Ahah i'm sorry vitalyi but i don't know how they work, i just thought that it was possible to let the sensor record frames while the shutter is still open obtaining powerful effects like light trails. But it is impossible ok, got it eheh
  • @Elenion, I'm not sure what you mean. The shutter can't be more than fully open, which is whatever the framerate you're shooting at (ie. 1/24 for 24fps).
  • @Elenion

It looks like you want me to change the way CMOS sensors work :-)
  • I know that i can record with much longer speeds but the gh2 record just a frame every 1/8th or whatever i choose, it doesn't take frames continuously at 24p while the shutter is open like it happens with film cameras
  • You can shoot with much longer shutter speeds, but you can only select them if you switch to MF (manual focus) for some reason. However true 1/24 would be useful so the shutter is fully open.
  • @jo447: I think it would be very useful giving many creative possibilities. The first thing that comes in mind is video lightpainting for example
  • If i choose a shutter speed of 1/8th of a second for example also if i choose 24p recording i've a video where every frame is taken every 1/8th. I thought it could be possible to record what the sensor sees while the shutter is open, like in analogic film cameras. But if you say that it is impossible, then :(
  • well... you can do 1/24s.... not sure that would be very useful though.... ;-)
  • I think that you can't record 24fps footage with shutter for more than 1/24s :-)
    And I don't understand how it can be codec issue.
  • I don't know if it's possible but i think that it might be a real plus: the ability to record all the 24fps with the shutter open for more than 1/25. Maybe it is just a codec issue and you can fix it, it would be awesome
  • Vitaliy, man, honestly just do your best, as I'm sure you are. Anything extra we can get out of this already amazing machine will be much appreciated. Good luck!
  • Firmware Request
    Would there be a way to set ISO for videos outside of Creative Motion Picture Mode? For example, when the camera is in M/S/A/P and I press the video button, the camera instantly changes the ISO setting to AUTO.

Perhaps another way to enable this is to allow the exposure lock (AEL) to function for movies taken when the camera is in M/S/A/P mode. Again, when the camera is in M/S/A/P + AEL and I press the video button, the AEL is disengaged an the camera uses AUTO ISO.

The Creative Motion Picture Mode does not have this issue, but I'd rather not have to twiddle the dial back and forth between M/S/A/P and Creative Motion Picture Mode.

Firmware Request
    Would there be a way to allow EX. TELE CONV. function outside of Manual Movie mode?

Firmware Request
    1280x720@30p (AVCHD)
  • usb streaming has already been ruled out,as its not general purpose cpu.

* 1080 25p @ high bitrate
  • * Increased bitrate for 1080 24P (120 Mb/s ?), but if possible, increased bitrate for all Video modes (e.g. 720, 1080i ....).
    * 1080 60P (We can dream, can't we?... LOL)
    * HDMI The ability to correctly stream 24P over 60i for capture.
    * Anything that can help improve signal-to-noise spec. (Although, this will of course be limited to hardware)
    * More Zerbra settings e.g IRE 60, 65,70,75,80,85,90,95,100
    * 720P improved with B frames.
    * Ability to stream video at a higher bitrate to USB.
  • @Zoke

Wait for hack. It is as easy as that.
  • I've been lurking this forum for a while and am about to purchase a GH2 but they are too damn expensive here, plus I do not like the 30 minute limit on the PAL version. Is there currently no way to change the language of a Chinese or Japanese version to English until the hack arrives?
  • > Tell this to Panasonic, as only they can make proper peaking.

Thanks to Sony... Hopefully Panasonic copies them...
  • Vitaliy, I have a question about the issue with 3rd party batteries not showing their power level. Is it GH2's 'feature' that can be overriden with the upcoming hack or is it battery manufacturers' issue and nothing can be done about it? I hope it can be hacked somehow because original batteries are crazy overpriced and the cheap ones usually die in the middle of a take, which is not cool at all;) Thanks!
  • >I want peaking!!!! Darn...

Tell this to Panasonic, as only they can make proper peaking.
  • I want peaking!!!! Darn...
  • I would like the ability to actually USE remote aswell as mic to the 2,5mm jack using soldered adapter, as iandrew pointed out.

- "after studying gh1 schematic I can say that this is fully software feature: switching from internal to external mic is software procedure (command and wires going from main board). It will be great for example to have possibility to "manualy" switching to external mic."

- cited from "GH2 Remote+Mic Adapter out there?" thread, which i started.
  • Hi Vitaly! Thanks for your work!

I wish for working AE lock during video recording. It works currently "one-way" only (it's possible to turn it on before recording and switch off when recording), so it sounds like very possible improvement.

But full manual gain control would be much better, of course.
  • @HervT, RTFM ; ). Or look in the menus.