Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 Possible Improvements
  • 288 Replies sorted by
  • + 1 on being able to adjust contrast, sharpness, etc more than +2 to -2 range. Would be very useful in helping match GH2 to a wider range of A cameras, which would help establish it as the ultimate B camera.

Would 1/48th shutter improve 24p?
  • @ Arvidtp So basically with this Sony Recorder I could use this with my XLR adapter/ Seinheiser boom--then I would be able to A. monitor audio and B. get 24bit recording in wav ---

Not concerned with the mics on it so much...
    I just have to sync the audio in post...since Ill slate everything its not a big deal.

Hmm Ill have to consider adding this to my needs list.
  • Yeah - if i was recording audio that was important enough to monitor through headphones whilst shooting, i wouldn't trust the audio codecs in the GH2 with it anyway - probably pretty noisy - most of these devices are because they are not optimized for audio. Also you'll want to record in 24bit ideally, which I don't know if GH2 analog to digital converters even do. If anyone is interested in shooting 2nd system sound on a budget, I recommend the Sony PCM-M10 - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/638090-REG/Sony_PCM_M10_BLACK_PCM_M10_Portable_Audio_Recorder.html . It is small and has a very clean and quiet mic preamp for self-powered mics. I use one to record all my shows and the guy I work with (who does the recordings for all Brown University's concerts) also uses it. Its internal mics are also have a very flat frequency response, though not a good stereo spread or any directionality because they are a pair of omnis. Headphone output is loud - good for monitoring live. I've done sound recording/boom operating for a few short films using it and the small size is great.
  • In regard to the HDMI audio issues, I wouldn't be getting too sad about this, as the built in mic's aren't the best in the world. Simply plug in an external mic- (directional video mic) and pump it into the HDMI recorder... After film shoot- have a nice cool beer.. (otherwise we will have to start another don't cry for HDMI audio topic!)

;)
  • unfortunately hdmi video transmitters are extremely expensive and have a very short range..
    is there anybody who knows how to trasnform hdmi signal to vga?
  • @anaka
    I know.
    We had discussion about this. Try google search this site.
    Your best bet is to find small HDMI transmitters or install small video camera that shoots GH2 screen.
  • I need to have the VGA out working also during shooting video, I have to send out the signal trough a video antenna and at the moment there are only vga transmitters on the market.

At the moment gh2 only uses vga out for play recorded stuff..
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev
    Thanks for the reply, and thanks again for the great work. I guess I'll look at the other audio solutions... Sure would be nice to be able to confidently shoot with sound. @Panasonic: Is a headphone jack too much to ask for?
  • @alexr
    I know, it had been asked many times.
    Most probably this is impossible.
  • Hi there - As has been said many times, thanks to Vitaly and everyone for the amazing work. I'm wondering -- is there any hope of having the GH2 send audio out either the USB/AV or HDMI ports while recording, so that we could somehow connect headphones and monitor the audio while shooting? Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere... Thanks,
  • HD format is 1920*1080, now it's possibly to change the format to 1080*1920 with a hack? The idea is to don't
    needed to set the GH2 vertical while recording. Would be handy.
  • I've been following these amazing steps on my GH2 and I couldn't be more happy! Thank you developers!

I have 1 request and could something like this be even done?

- Would there be a way to have the camera write a video count of the individual .mts files, and have that count be retained even after reformatting the card?

The picture side gives each picture a unique name / picture count, and retains that count even after I format the card. This makes organizing RAW footage some much easier, saving my sanity. Is this possible to do on the video side?

Thanks for all the amazing work!
  • Thanks Vitaliy for the hard work. Joined the club and did first test:

Also posted a blog for mac users who want to install. http://www.beeldlab.nl/installing-gh2-hack-with-a-mac/
  • Vitally,

I would also request the ability to use the external remote input and microphone simultaneously.

If that is not possible, a workable substitute would be to allow for switching between the remote and the external microphone while recording. This would allow are relay or switch to cut the audio, enable the remote, and trigger the start/stop command. Loosing the audio while triggering start/stop would be a trivial trade-off to be able to use the VTR start/stop button on broadcast/HD lenses (as well as wireless remotes, etc.)

Thanks for all your fantastic work!!

-ted
  • Vitally Isn't Leica V-Lux 20 the same as panasonic TZ10 with a better body and improved firmware?
  • Hey Vitaly,

High Framerates at lower resolutions for slow motion would really really be great! (like some of the CASIOs)
    100fps or 200fps or more :)

Do you already know if you do it at all?
    And, if yes: can you say which resolutions may be possible?

thanks for your work
  • With 3rd party batteries my GH2 doesn't show battery life, which in turn disables the auto-sleep function. During rapid shoots I'll bump or accidentally leave gh2 switched on, only to discover later that my gh2 battery drained itself silly. More of a hindrance, can this be fixed?
  • >is it possible to create a custom gridline overlay?

In theory, yes.
    Right now - no.

>ie 2.35:1 aspect ratio?

It is simpler to do it in editor.

>Is it possible to have one of the audio channels to record one channel 6db higher or lower than the other side?

Don't know, it requires further research.
    Today audio level setting is set globally, so may be, but not easy.
  • is it possible to create a custom gridline overlay? ie 2.35:1 aspect ratio? Is it possible to have one of the audio channels to record one channel 6db higher or lower than the other side?
  • >Is it possible to strip the color modes from a Leica D-Lux 5 and somehow install them on a gh2?

No, of course.

>My friend just got one and I have to say: Color, Contrast and skin tones are far superior to Panasonics.

It is different camera, it is not settings only :-)

• sTUPID qUESTION:

Is it possible to strip the color modes from a Leica D-Lux 5 and somehow install them on a gh2?
    My friend just got one and I have to say: Color, Contrast and skin tones are far superior to Panasonics.

• @mark_the_harp

i record dual audio with the gh2 and a zoom h1 and i have no sync problems over 30 minute continuous clips, even where the MTS files have spanned over multiple 4GB files. this is in premiere pro. works fine at both 1080p24 and 720p50. have not tried 1080i50 though. your idea that the cd-player is too fast sounds very plausible to me
  • Two another idea, maybe new..

A possibility to give a manual mode on the 'rec movie switch" in all jog selections, especially for the 'my color mode'... (maybe more easy than create cocacola-hollywood-chewgum-techni-color profiles like canon, but certainly more creative)^^

A hack for autorize the stabilize mode 3 that can be used in movie shot, for pano.

I wish you happy holidays, if sometimes you take it :-)

• @Jspatz
    We had discussion of this already.
    It requires some electrical stuff to be do, plus requires changes in system code.
    And any small problem in such patch during testing and bricked body is guaranteed.
  • Has anyone given thought to expanding the usability of the mic/remote socket? Perhaps a splitter to use both at the same time. It would also be good to work out a way to use a single remote to start and stop both the GH2 and H4N simultaneously.