Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
12mm f/1.6 Noktor
  • 739 Replies sorted by
  • Mine does go a gnats cojones past infinity, but at least it gets there by the look of some of the problems.

• @soundgh2 +1 completely agree, I now consider myself lucky for getting a good copy after hearing all these stories... Better take good care of it, as any replacement might be a lemon. Having said that, since I have had it, I have been spending a lot less time on this forum :), well and it has been busy too. There are many other choices for people who need auto focus or a different (or wider) look.

• @dtr I think there's some variance in QC - I was a lucky one no problems here, however you may be right mines the same as the one in the comparison - oh and I bought it for the flares hehe - personally think some of the new glass looks too precise, too sharp, but hey horse for courses!

• Btw, SLR Magic is coming out with a Voigtlander rival...

• @soundgh2: thanks, nice test! looks like this is with a pre-'cine' version though (reversed focus ring). i wonder if there's possible discrepancies between the two, which could explain the focus issue some people experience. or maybe it's just bad assembling.

The only big issue I really have with the SLR Magic is with flares and that haze.

Yep.

• Thanks @dtr It's not quite travelling distance for me unfortunatly.. but sparks an idea to start a thread for interesting filmmaking or art film exhibitions, thanks :)

• Expo by students of the ArtScience department of The Hague's art academy. If you happen to be around, the 'dark side' chapter of the expo is over but today and tomorrow is the 'bright side' part at De Besturing: https://www.facebook.com/events/249104075189613/

• @dtr what exhibition was that? looks interesting..

• Btw, a 1-to-1 comparison of the current production Noktor and the Olympus 12mm f/2 would be very interesting...

• I compared my Noktor to my Lumix 14-42mm kit lens. Infinity focus is on par but the Noktor gets very soft at wide aperture. No surprises there. I'll do a test video like dream_beam's for comparison when the weather clears up here...

In the meanwhile, here's a bunch of frames from video a shot at an exhibition yesterday. 24H, Cake2.3 patch, Noktor 12mm lens. No grading.

I'm quite happy with these shots (beginner videographer here). Just missed the lens flares in the light bulbs shot while shooting. Something to remember with this lens. It's just a bit in the posted frame but it gets worse in the rest of the take.

00004.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 505K
    00020.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 839K
    00032.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 435K
    00024.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 740K
    00037.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 369K
    00022.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 915K
    00026.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 723K
    00045.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 560K
    00039.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 633K
  • @vicharris It seems your lens is ok, much more usable. earlier I promised video captured with the lens returned. below is the one. shot handheld, sorry for shaky image

• As I remember, it is possible adjusting screws.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev From the outside of the lens I hope? Tomorrow, monday, I have to make the decision rather I want the lens or my money returned. Love the lens so I hope I can adjust a screw to set focus little beyond infinity.

• Here's a quickly cut montage from yesterday. All at 24p but everything else changed from shot to shot. Just trying to tests the limits outdoors. Again, sorry about the horrible handheld. Kind of hard to put down a tripod on the backlot at Paramount!

• @RawB Nope, I'm running Orion V4 CBR. Going to post the footage I took at Cine Gear as another test soon. My handheld sucks ass with this little camera though! So far though, I might have to eat crow and apologize to Andrew! I love the look of this lens and it's little imperfections.

• @RawB

As I remember, it is possible adjusting screws.

P.S. We are using Markdown for formatting, look how to quote :-)

• @vicharris , is your gh2 in original firmware ? Don't think this can make a difference on focus.

Andrew told me they make the lenses focus a little past infinity now to prevent these problems.

Think this is possible to do at home?

• @vicharris You're picture and video are closer to what I was expecting from this lens. Nice to know that some of them are pretty good. I am expecting the exchanged lens to come early next week, fingers crossed and hoping for a good copy.

• @vicharris "what I see in the view finder and focus assist, I was able to focus pretty damn far."

Looks like you're a winner!

• Here's a quick screenshot from Paramount today. Looks pretty damn good to me.

Screen shot 2012-06-01 at 9.13.28 PM.png
    849 x 497 - 651K
  • Talked to the Pana guys at the expo today. First, they were amazed at the lens. Never seen it before. They asked me to come in next week and test it on the AF100. Second, he thought it was a little loose. Not sure if I remember that when I first put it on but I do have a little bit of a shift now. Downloading 20gbs of footage now. Hopefully there's something usable for testing there. Handheld, in a crowd, in the sun is not the ideal environment for testing but from what I see in the view finder and focus assist, I was able to focus pretty damn far.

• Oh and set right at infinity. Still had a little room to go if I needed it.

• So here's a quick upload. Setting: 24P with Orion CBR Hack, F4.0 I think, 50 shutter and 160 ISO. I'll have to upload it to Vimeo so people can pull the original down but I should have some more up. Have to run off to Cine Gear now.

• Yep, my Tokina and Rokinon I've purchased recently all do that so it's nothing to be alarmed at.

Sounds like the alarming thing is that noktor didn't do it until people started complaining...

• Yep, my Tokina and Rokinon I've purchased recently all do that so it's nothing to be alarmed at.