Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
12mm f/1.6 Noktor
  • 739 Replies sorted by
  • Interesting article Vitaliy...Posted my experience about the 50mm cine T0.95 in that specific threat: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2748/50mm-slr-magic-cine-t-0.95#Item_30

• @vicharris, the FDFF still works great, though on certain gear belts it might slip somewhat...have to really get it tight and in the grooves and no fast focusing! I'm starting to look for an alternative (more traditional) follow focus just to see which works better.

• @jleo That little guy looks awesome! Might have to grab one.

• Nice, can you post a pic of it on your lens? No vignetting?

• I picked up one of these wide angle metal hoods for $6 a few weeks ago. It went down in price!! Works with 77mm ND filter. Step up ring was only $2.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/220885139766?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

• I researched it pretty thoroughly actually, but was still a pretty early adopter so there werent a ton of reviews on it. Its actually my glidecam lens mostly, and controlling light on a glidecam without a hood is a pain...unless I rig a matte box on it but that gets pretty large and clunky. Overall I actually love this thing, especially for creative capabilities such as macro with shallow DoF. I suppose I'm not used to lenses so wide and not being able to put a hood on them, I was on fullframe and APS-C for the past several years. One of the caveat's of the 2x crop I suppose. Anyway, thought I would ask around. I may offload it for the Olympus 12mm f2 or a Tokina 11-16, but have to test those first.

• @jdert Not sure how much research you did before you bought this lens or what you plan to use it for but just about every review and multiple times on this thread alone people state that this lens is prone to flares. It's one of the characteristics of it. It's not a clean, perfect piece of glass. It has lots of character and imperfections, that's what makes it unique. I'm afraid if you want a perfect image that looks like video, you might have made the wrong purchase. Also, I posted earlier about a cheap step up ring alternative I found that works just fine but there isn't a hood i've found that works for this thing. Just too wide. I'm sure there's something out there. I have a wide angle mattebox that works but other than that it's just my hand at this point but I bought the lens for it's flares. If I wanted a clean wide angle shot, I'd throw on my 14mm pany and add the wide angle adapter that Rambo uses.

• Seeking advice for a hood option for this lens. Searches yield no results, other than I need a 58-77mm step up ring to do this without vignetting. am constantly battling flares and lighting artifacts whenever the sun hits it, and I'm pretty sure I have the updated version that supposedly handles flares better. I tend shoot at f2.8 and higher, only use faster apertures when I need them in low light or for DoF. Anyway, aside from a matte box any ideas for hood options? I realize its hard to do considering its such a wide lens.

• @Fosterchen I didn't. It doesn't reach long enough on my current rig setup but I might change some things to get it. Still working well for you?

• Ditto @vicharris! Did you ever get the FDFF? Here's my geared 12mm.

DSC06141.JPG
    2592 x 4608 - 2M
  • @thoughts2uk Here ya go. Problem solved. I bought a bunch of these, pulled em tight and they work on all my lenses including the SLR just fine! They are a little stretchy so you can pull em nice and snug. Best lens gear I've bought. Also, of course they are releasing their own special gear soon. It'll probably be $50! Just like their precious step up ring for $50-$80 that I found on ebay for $8. By this, problem solved.

20120713_160030.jpg
    720 x 540 - 57K
  • @Stonebat I have the 14mm already, first lens I bought for the GH2. Amazing little guy for the price. Got mine for $160. I just want to avoid putting glass in front of glass as much as possible but I might say what the hell. What's the new field of view once that adapter is put on?

• It sucks that it's so hard to find some good lens gears for the SLR Magic 12mm. I contacted them to find out the dimensions and the diameter but so far they have been reluctant to tell me. They just told me that they will be releasing their own special lens gear in the next 2 weeks.

• So I've decided to attach more permanent focus gears to all my lenses for integration with my fifty dollar follow focus. I found the gear attachment really works great so I'm keeping it on always.

With the SLR Magic 12mm, Originally I had the Lanparte adjustable gear belt (see previous post), but the adjustable part was a bit bulky, so it's going on a different lens.
    I cut off the leftover gear belt from another existing gear ring (link below), drilled two small holes at each end, and looped zip ties to secure it to the focus ring of the SLR Magic 12mm.
    The key here is to make sure the zip tie area is right over infinity so you still have complete focus turning from infinity to macro.

This is the gear belt I used: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UUJZ2E/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00 The width covers the area of the focus ring just right. Got the idea from Half Inch Rails...might go with their zip tie gear belts next time.

Pictures coming soon...

• @vicharris Why not get Lumix 14mm 2.5 + DMW-GWC1? Yeah keep the SLRMagic 12mm, too. They are quite different from each other, and both fun. I'd get both one day :)

• The more I use this thing, the more I think the right side is softer than the left past4 to 5 feet or so. Close up it's good, anything far away I'm thinking looks...not good. Thought I had a good one.

• I've had this lens a few days and so far I'm really impressed.

• RRRR is yours still available? if so, see my PM pls.

• Anyone interested in buying one? Performs well. I'm in NY right now (so a deal possible here) will be back in Sweden the 16th of July. PM an offer if interested.

• Finally some in Canada! SLR Magic doesn't ship to Canada, so it was a hard to get item. Mine doesn't flare too much. The prototypes had more flaring. The prototype lenses I've seen selling used for around $300 US.

• I got mine SLR Magic at the Camera shop in Canada too. It was 499. It is a really nice lens.Flares like crazy however. But the flare looks cool in the right lighting.

• For those in Canada (or visiting), I picked my lens up at http://www.thecamerastore.com/ in Calgary for 499 CAD which is one of the best deals around. They had several in stock and I got to test out the lens to make sue there were no manufacturing flaws. The lens works great so far. Some test footage coming soon.

• Just got back from business trip to Sydney. Shot a portion of Sydney Harbor Ferry ride. Enjoy:

No hack, no post. And yes, I had a 58mm UV filter on it which did vignette some, since my 77mm filter didn't come in time for the trip.

• Guys, before talking about how the grass is greener.. Remember that a wide angle converter usually takes away a stop / half a stop of light and makes it more prone to flaring. If you want a very sharp / neutral wide angle lens I suggest you wait for the new zoom.