Personal View site logo
ColorGHear TOOLKIT- color grading SYSTEM for AE
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • @artiswar Impressive before and after with that grade. Thanks for posting. Well done - really straight up professional looking stuff. An image that could be in a modern horror that you would see in theaters. Keep rocking.

@shian Purchased Color GHears a while back and started dabbling with tutorials a bit. Appreciate all your hard work. I need to look at the tutorials and was wondering what the primary benefits are to keeping exposure to the 4-5 stop range ("exposing in the zone")? Thanks.

• Sorry for the little off-topic, it's still about GHears workflow thou: How do you create new TRIMMED to footage adjustment layer in ae? Can it be done? I think it is specially useful in colorghears.

• @shian - I considered posting my success with "exposing in the zone" on dvxuser. :P

But really, power windows and shooting in the 4-5 stop midrange of the GH2 is truly incredible.

Stoked to hear about GHears for resolve. Will this be additional or is it miraculously included with the AE version?

• Glad to hear it. i keep telling people that my techniques translate to every grading platform on earth, but yet they still doubt me. Thanks for proving me right.

Also, once I've got the Davinci version of CGT finished, you're really gonna love Resolve.

• Thanks for all of the pointers, @shian. Doing most of my work now in DaVinci but I couldn't have gotten here without the aid of ColorGHears and the film school.

Case and point: image image

GradeCompare2.png
    792 x 892 - 730K
    GradeCompare1.png
    792 x 439 - 361K
  • @shian, Thanks a lot for the link. Sorry for bothering you on this question.

• @shian, guys,

Need your help very much!

Finally started using ColoGhear in AE CS6 (running on a PC, Win 7). This is my first grading experience and so far everything seemed pretty well. Thank you for this great tool.

The problem is that all of my videos are made with GH2. GH2 records audio with AC-3. It seems prerry obvious this f...king AE CS6 doesn't import audio along with MTS files. I suppose it's because of this audio codec. CS6 doesn't recognize AC-3 at all.

The reason I'm asking for your advice is that I finished grading a huge length video and "suddenly" I noticed that the sound was missing (knowing for sure I checked the box for exporting audio).

I suppose this problem concerns everybody in case someone wanna grade in AE CS6 with ColorGHear.

Thanks a lot.

• @TraumManufaktur Nice frame! The lighting looks good, color real good and Sanity is one of he most taken for granted settings out IMO.

• @shian ISO 1600 still grab, just messing around in the room. Sanity 5 and your awesome ghears. I must apply myself.

00359_x.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • double preview error. Sorry.

00359_x.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • The price point is insane. Especially for myself, who opted in very early on. I would pay upwards if $300 for the Film School tutorials alone. I've since moved away from After Effects for a lot of projects since beefing up a new editing machine but I still turn to ColorGHears for quick dailies or really pressing deadlines on shorter projects. @shian - I'd really be interested to hear how you go about adjusting lighting such as in the "Conformig your scene" scene for shots other than your master. Like a wide establishing shot.

• @peternap +1 @bozfx GHears is well worth the price. I have learned a lot from @shian and his tutorials. GHears is an amazing tool, and not just that, you get the GHear tutorials which teach you how to use these tools effectively. $50 is a great price for what you get.

• @bozfx When I first bought GHears I posted on his blog that I just bought two thousand dollars worth of software for fifty bucks.

That was before the majority of the tutorials were written and they're worth more than GHears is. I'm not a Cinematographer, I'm a Photographer that moved into video and the tutorials are worth their weight in gold to me. The learning curve has been a struggle.

If you're using GHears, you're probably using AE. I haven't upgraded to CS6 yet but do have a lot of plugins like Color Finesse. Color GHears is the most used (Including the tutorials) and the least expensive.

• @Shian

" I think in relation to the quality and quantity of the education, the price is ridiculously low."

I couldn't agree more.

• Well, there's no way for me to answer this question and not seem like some sort of an ass, so I'll just be honest: No... never.

In the grand scheme of things, considering you likely spent anywhere between $1000 - $3500 on your camera, maybe another $500 - $1500 on Lenses, and other gear, and that if you were to just take a basic photography class at the local Community College you'd likely spend 3 times as much on that, and not learn from somebody who actually does it for a living. Not to mention how much you'd have to spend on actual film school. I think in relation to the quality and quantity of the education, the price is ridiculously low.

• @Shian Tutorial section looks pretty good! Have you ever considered offering that section alone for a lower price? I'd be interested. :)

• But it is in the plans soon? So it make sense to hold on little bit. thanks

• When I have concrete release dates I'll announce them.

@tinbeo I've used everything from unsharp mask to sharpen filters in FCP X and AE. It can only do so much. If you're a little soft, they can help save a shot, but if not, get ready for a ton of grain and noise to be added while you try to sharpen your shot.

• Hello Shian. Im watching your video now Expose in the Zone-where you maintained Premiere version of ColorGhear around summer. This would be very good and handy solution which Im waiting for. Any realease date? Thank you for great work.

• @shian
    I googled and found some fix-out-of focus ideas. One of them is use Unsharp Mask. Is any other solutions to fix out of focus from after effect? Looking to hear from you and experts in this forum. Thanks

• Because I have to keep answering this question - here's a simple pdf that contains the list of current and coming tutorials. I hope that covers it.

tutorials.pdf
  • thx shian.

• Well, CGT isn't about pre-made looks. I'm sure I can create that look with the GHears that are there.

But for the most part, those movies were the product of crappy film stocks and less than stellar lighting.

If you shoot Nostalgic and light it like an inept student film - you'll be in pretty good shape toward getting that look. Lift the shadows, add some of the light leak GHears and mix them down, and then a dirty grain overlay. That should do it.

• Hey Shian i just bought your ColorGhear. Great tutorials. Can you create a setting that resembles the old film look from Horror movies such as Dawn of the dead, Day of the Dead and Hell of the living Dead(the originals not the bad remakes)?

I b.t.w got a http://www.woltlab.com board license which i am not using i can build you a board for your site if you want(i kind of never got to use the board software), you could create a few sections for user based tutorials and user ColorGhear profiles. Let me know if you are interrested(i can also set it up and host it on my webspace if you want).

Best Whishes

Kurolaw

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions