Personal View site logo
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • @otcx Yep...I love CM Night but IMO Apocalypse Drewnet Soft has it beat.

I had to laugh a little, Lee and Nick are both extremely talented,,,but argue. Ralph, who IMO is equally talented, just watches from the sideline. You reckon that's why his setting is called "Sanity".

Anyway....Two donations coming today. One for Nick and one for Chris!

• First post on the boards, but I've been following the GH2 hacks for a while now, and thought I'd get stuck in and upload some test footage with the new settings.

I used the 3GOP Valkyrie Soft setting with two different manual lenses. Interestingly, the Miranda 28mm lens I use for a couple of shots I always find to be soft, but the details look fine to me, even with the soft variant. The colours on the flowers are brilliant I thought. No grading, only tweaked the contrast, so I hope this is useful.

Great work with these settings! Thanks so much.

• Couple tests from yesterday, for all the dog lovers out there. ;)

Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO 'Apocalypse Now' GH2 Hack Test 1

Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO 'Apocalypse Now' GH2 Hack Test 2

Definitely download the second one. Lost a ton of detail on Vimeo. First one looks alright.

• @bkmcwd

I would like to try your settings, but I am a little confused.

Could you please tell me the difference between your "Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO 'Apocalypse Now' with cbrandin 'Original 444 Matrix' " and your "Valkyrie 'Apocalypse Now' with cbrandin '444 Soft Matrix"?

In which cases should I use one or the other?

Thanks

• Rough and ready test while out on a day out yesterday.

Bit of a test of a new camera setting profile and lens combination, documenting a day trip out to Chatsworth House. Forgot my monopod, so it's shaky city I'm afraid. Combo would work well with a stabiliser, if not a bit heavy.

No grading at all. This is directly out of camera, edited in PP CS6, 1.5x interpretation, export to h264 HD 1080p/24 profile.

Camera: Panansonic GH2

Settings: Cluster v7 'Apocalypse Now' - 6 GOP Nebula with cbrandin/driftwood '444 Sharp2' matrix

Film Profile: Smooth -2,-2,-2,-2

Lens: Tokina AT-X 280 AF PRO 28-80/2.8

Filter: Hoya Pro 1 Digital CPL

Anamorphic: Moller Bolex 16/32/1.5x

• Thank you all involved in Cluster development. For a change there is clutter 7 gop6 soft. I should not say that but Sorry for colors- I found out that I have a big problem with calibrating my U2410 so CC its done intuitive, Hope its acceptable and it looks similar on your screen to mine.

Feel free to let me know if its disaster.

• I did some serious testing today, and eaven i still love CM night, the color space is defenetly improved. Just waiting intra settings. Let others argue what is what, and how said something. I trust my own eyes. Thanks sir Driftwood and others.

• @driftwood: Please don't let LPowell highjack your unique thread, maybe he is just jealous of your outstanding, groundbreaking performance here.

I bought the GH2, tested all the settings, tested LPowells "Flowmo", tested bkmcwd settings, tested all your settings. The only thing i have to say is: From my point of view "Drewnet 444" and "Nebula 444" are the best ever rockstable settings you can get for the GH2 !!! It's just unbelievible what this little consumer camera can serve using your settings !

Keep on going your "mutha'fuckin" hard work - we all luv it !!!

• I think both driftwood and lpowell have been doing an outstanding job providing us with excellent settings. Especially Nick has an almost restless hunger for finding new and better settings and provided us with some great stuff. While flow motion 2 is a setting i have always at least as a backup on a sd-card when i go outside for a shoot, because i know what i does for me.

@bkmwcd: Thank you for your gop3 setting, its excellent. I also really like your patience and buddhalike attitude towards criticism or suggestions for improvements, no matter if they are constructive or not.

@driftwood: please dont feel discouraged, i am really looking forward to the announced AN settings. Cant wait to test intravenus and cinemasmooth. But of course, also take your well earned holidays!!

• @driftwood - "Perhaps youre being late to the ball and getting your arse in gear is hurting and your arrogance has led you to hijack the thread?"

Alright, since you insist on hijacking the thread into a personal dispute, let's talk about arrogance. You seem to assume that since Chris approached you with an idea that you put some work into, you now own both it and this thread, and resent my participation. If that's the case, I'd suggest you start your own blog, like EOSHD, and ban me from it.

With respect to Chris, he vetted the 3x3 matrix idea with me as well, and disclosed the details back in July. That's why I was already familiar with it, and was able to analyze this patch in technical detail and distinguish his work from yours. I actually appreciated the fact that you followed through with it, and was interested to see how well it would work in practice. But when you suddenly released the Sharp2 matrix, I had to reverse-engineer the different matrices just to figure out which variant I should be testing.

Now, as for your gratuitous insults. Your paranoid accusation that my independent technical review of Apocalypse Now was some kind of "moment of glory" for me is simply pathetic. Anyone who's read through my patch threads would know that I've created plenty of my own opportunities to claim as much glory as I could want. Sorry, but this isn't about you or any competitive thing at all. I'm interested only in how well Chris' matrix works, and you happened to provide a convenient way to test it out.

And on the topic of mutha'fuckin' testing, I have a bug report. The Driftwood Cluster v7 'Apocalypse Now' - 6 GOP Nebula '444 Soft' variant froze up twice in a row while I was shooting some daffodils, tripod-mounted in 720p60 SH mode, after about 7 seconds. Manual-exposure movie mode with a manual focus lens, ISO 400, f5.6, 1/60 sec, 30MB/sec Class 10 Sandisk Extreme. You might want to take another look at that.

• I tried Nebula soft version. Smooth all -2 settings. One is 20.7 Lumix, and the other is 25.95 Nokton. Obviously the longer focal length lens has shallower DOF in the same framing at the same f-number. Anyways I kinda like the image from 20.7 Lumix.

20.7.png
    1680 x 1050 - 3M
    25.95.2.png
    1680 x 1050 - 3M
  • I'll take less banding and softer transitions before excessive sharpness any day of the week :) Excellent work guys! My 14-140 and 20 really gets a "cinematic" look with the soft versions. Thank you!

• I'm a bit confused now, what file is the right one for Cluster Nebula Sharp for download ?

• What happend actually?? any changes in the cluster 7 release?? @driftwood whats wrong??

• @kazuo As I understood it from Driftwood's clarification -- the difference is that files were mixed up during the upload process. That the first DREWnet sharp is actually Nebula sharp. The "2" is the correct upload -- meaning it is in fact V7 DREWnet "sharp."

• @driftwood

Good day. I tested both sharp2 and sharp versions, and was sifting through some of the technical debate here. Lee points out that the sharp2 version has apparently "worked out" Chris's matrix, but to someone less technically inclined like me, I couldn't tell the difference. So what really distinguishes sharp and sharp2?

Many thanks

• As a side note to my above post -- the "soft" settings combined with even a mediocre film lens is still sharper than a 5D Mark 3 with a Canon L anything.

• @onionbrain Weather is getting nice. I'd give it a try. Thanks.

• @peternap @stonebat

I really can't imagine a "conundrum" here. Using the "soft" with your micro-four-thirds lens should produce the best looking footage you've seen while using a MFT lens. It absolutely knocked me out of my chair.

When used with film lenses, it's borderline "too soft," -- borderline. And it depends on which film lenses you're using. A very sharp Nikkor might be okay, while a Canon FD or Tamron anything might be too soft.

SO -- if you're switching lenses often -- shoot with the "soft" version of Nebula or DREWnet or the upcoming IntraVenus -- and simply sharpen when necessary in post.

As a side note -- having viewed this stuff on calibrated production monitors and large screen projections -- I will tell you and everyone without qualification that this is the best looking footage I've ever seen from a hacked GH2.

Finally -- I'd like to throw this question at anyone reading this. Is anyone seeing banding in any of these Driftwood/Brandin new settings? I haven't done any tests exclusively for banding -- but -- it occurred to me today that I've seen none -- none -- in the footage I've reviewed thus far.

• Be nice to get something like this range of improvement or even close.

Colorcomp.jpg
    1236 x 616 - 226K
  • @driftwood I don't think Lee is a party pooper. I thank him for digging it. I thank you for the mutha'fuckin' testing. I thank Chris The Matrix Architect. Arrrrggg 'The Matrix'... The red channel or the blue channel? I wanna hear more!!!

• Some further reading on the subject here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling

• Lee, I have my reasons for being annoyed. Chris presented it to us and we got down to some serious mutha'fuckin' testing. Painstakingly finished after 6 weeks of multi scenario testing. Our beta team went out of their way to further test release candidates.

The matrix info. We decided to leave it out of the introduction for now until a later date as we didnt want to cause any misunderstandings (as Chris will vouch) Some of it was going to be written into the section comment 'The Mattix' which I intended to do this week whilst in France. The pleasure of doing this has now leads me to think well whats the point now?

Perhaps youre being late to the balland getting your arse in gear is hurting and your arrogance has led you to hijack the thread?

The reality is its a great matrix made all the better by the other great patch settings that our team have sweated over. Im sure our users appreciate that.

Lee, we dont get on. Lets leave it at that.

• @bkmcwd Forgive my ignorance. Is the "TYPE-ZERO" Valkyrie matrix patch considered to be the 'sharp' variant? The naming convention of "TYPE-ZERO 'Apocalypse Now' with cbrandin 'Original 444 Matrix'" and "Valkyrie 'Apocalypse Now' with cbrandin '444 Soft Matrix" is a little confusing since I thought Chris's original matrix was soft. Thanks.

• I think it would be better to eliminate "4:4:4" term completely out of the discussion whether it's pseudo or simulated. It seems something new and different beast. AN naming itself is cool enough. Just my two cents.

Only 7% resolution loss? Exciting. I love Gh2 :)

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions