Personal View site logo
Beginners: Basic hacks questions
  • 1012 Replies sorted by
  • @bechou if you're shooting fast action like surfing pretty much gotta shoot either 720p60 or 1080i60 -- 24p will look juddery. If your cards can hack it, try out @sage's 720 patch (I believe the latest might be over on dvxuser) or Driftwoods Quantum 9b.

• @MisterJ Fast camera movements always look like crap in 24p -- it either needs to be really fast, like a whip pan, or really slow. That's the nature of 24p shooting. No global shutter doesn't help matters much either.

Several DOPs I work with who came from the film world and shoot regularly on a Red or Alexa, respectively, comment that the 24 p cadence on the gh2 is the most cinematic they've seen. How are you monitoring/editing/viewing what you're shooting? Unless you're looking at it on a broadcast monitor or display with 120hz refresh rate, 24 p will not look good.

• I've been testing some of the latest hacks for a month and some now. Image quality in resolution is superb, but I still haven't found settings that i'm happy concerning cinematic motion. Any faster camera movements(pan, tilt or dollytracks) look bad. Been testing such hacks like Quantum100, SpanMyBitchUp and Aquamotion v2. Used all the modes there is from 23,98 fps to 50 fps. If some of You guys know any workaround for this problem, I'm more than happy to get some info about it. Many thanks and waiting for the next version of Ptool. I'm working in Pal-area and 25p is most important for us. All the best, MisterJ

• i have posted some clips in 720 50p and twixtor....
    and a clip shot in 50i converted to 50p, and the slowed down.
    http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/38767#Comment_38767
    http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/37795#Comment_37795
    and a extreme slomo with twixtor.
    http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/38844#Comment_38844

• So 720P 60 plus twixtor is where it's at?

• @chaos, use twixtor, or the old software and standalone motionperfect..

• @Chaos123x: Nope, 720p60 is the fastest mode with or without hack. In 1080p, fastest progressive framerate is 30p (using 80% variable speed setting on one of the 1.0 patches that supports it or using HBR mode on the 1.1 firmware).

• Here's a newb question thats proabably been answered before. Is there a hack setting that will let you shoot faster than 60 to do more pronounced slow motion? Anyone have a tutorial to get the best effect in post with optical flow?

• Some newcomers are experiencing problems updating firmwares on their new GH2 with some of the new extreme cards. Please try other cards if you experience an inability to flash before suggesting its a new GH2 fault.

• @taikwanjo: On 1.0 firmware, using the variable speed mode at 80% will give you 30p, but without sound. This works with many (but not all) of the patches. Patch developers often note whether their patch works with 80% mode, ETC mode, etc. But it's always a good idea to test it yourself on your particular setup.

• Hi all, i only got two questions. I am currently using the sanity v3.1 patch with my GH2. Is that patch the most adapted for motion ? I use my dslr to record surfing people and waves... Then which movie mode will be the most adapted ? avchd or mov ? Thanks for you replies and comments guys

• Thank you very much!

• Are there any hacks out there for the GH2 that include the ability to shoot 1080p at 60 fps?

No, it is a sensor thing.

Do any/all GH2 hacks include 1080p at 30fps? Could you point me to a higher bitrate hack that does include 30p? I notice a lot of the hacks say they allow 24p, but it's very important to me to be able to shoot 30p.

Old 1.0E firmware can shoot 1080p30 without sound already. 1.11 can do it with sound. But new PTool is not ready yet.

• I have a couple questions I haven't been able to find definitive answers to. Hopefully someone here knows! I was asked to move the question to this forum so hopefully this is the right way to do it.

Are there any hacks out there for the GH2 that include the ability to shoot 1080p at 60 fps?

Do any/all GH2 hacks include 1080p at 30fps? Could you point me to a higher bitrate hack that does include 30p? I notice a lot of the hacks say they allow 24p, but it's very important to me to be able to shoot 30p.

• @KeithLommel,

Thanks for the links!

• @Fearseeker: The following threads are where VK is posting developments related to updating his hack to work with the GH2 v1.1 firmware. The latest announcement he made is that he "most probably" will have something out the first week of February. My understanding is that the new PTools will allow all the old patches to be installed on the v1.1 firmware base, and will also unlock some new settings for the patch-makers to fiddle with to potentially improve quality even further. My guess is that there will need to be some testing/experimentation needed to port any given 24p settings (like cbrandin's 44Mbps patch) to 25p, but I'm sure that the community will pounce on this sort of project immediately after PTools is released.

As eager as we all are, there's no real point in nagging VK to hurry it along or pestering him for daily updates. He's certainly working on it as much as his time and other obligations permit, and will release it as soon as it's ready.

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1656/gh2-v1.1-new-firmware-with-25p-discussion-topic#Item_583

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/50/official-gh2-stalin-hack-development-topic#Item_780

• Dear Vitaliy,

Am I not searching properly, or isn't there any "official GH2 hack decelopment" topic? I of course would like to use the 25p firmware combined with 44MB p/s. I check your site every day but don't know in which topic to search for the developments in this subject!

Thanks for your efforts,

David.

• Problems with spanning files: The clip is aprox 28 minutes long, spannned perfectly in camera on CBrandins 44Mbps Patch, can watch it with MPlayerX in whole length, but when it comes to transcoding with ClipWrap or Log and Transfer (FCP) it would only recognize the famous 4.29GB which is aprox 7 minutes long and ignores the rest of the take. Also when I get "info" through "command - i", it says, the clip is only 4.29GB big (should be around 16GB) When I import the clip into Adobe Premiere it shows the whole length. Any suggestions apart from using Premiere? I still prefer FCP.

• one of my friend suggest me quantum v9b for my music video shoot out. but i am afraid to patch with this experimental one. will it be stable so long? any over heat or any worst problem experienced by users before?? fiends please do suggest me the best for longer and stable run. but with a superb quality. i need something which is never compromised in 1080 24p mode ;)

• i am using gh2 hacked using sandisk 64gb 95m/s ex pro card. using kit lens 14-124 mm. this short film will be converted to motion film 35mm for theatrical release in middle east.its about animal welfare and will be a news reel before commercial film pp. I am planning to start next week. which is the best patch to use.

i need a the best color and picture quality out of my gh2. i am speculating in between quantum v5 to quantum v9 driftwood. but , if anything which can do better and stable. please suggest me one.

thank you!

• @aticam It is not a place for this discussion. I already told you all I think.

• @aticam

I already told you to look at ebay. All latest G2 are unhackable anyway.

• @aticam

Still don't understand. GH1, GF2 or better, GH2 can be got on ebay.

• http://www.personal-view.com/faqs

@aticam

Any reason why you want specifically G2? As I see no reason in it.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions