Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Beginners: Basic hacks questions
  • 1012 Replies sorted by
  • Greetings!

I have a couple of questions about workflow.

So far, my workflow has been to shoot 1080p24, offload footage onto mac g5, convert footage via clipwrap to prores 1080p24, convert with compressor to 720p24 dvcprohd, and edit.

Recently, I've hacked my camera to the Sanity 4.1 patch. It's quality has improved; file sizes are much larger / record time has decreased, but all in all, I'm happy with the results.

My question is: going from .mts file to .mov (prores), do I lose quality? That is to say, if I were able to edit / grade raw files, would I have higher quality results than if I transcode to prores (and ultimately dvcpro). Clearly, downrezing to a 720 frame I lose resolution, but as far as color grading goes, what is the trade off to transcoding to prores and editing / grading in that format?

• I understand that there are many more interesting threads than this right now, but the reason why beginner questions are asked in wrong threads is that we can't get answers here - in beginners thread. It makes basic info harder to find and leads to ... more beginner questions ;)

• I have a second hand gh2 & when I try to record in either manual movie mode or HBR mode the recording aborts somewhere between 4 - 18 seconds if I have the ISO set to auto or any ISO above 160. However if I set the camera ISO to 160 it will record until the card runs out of space.

Cinema mode is completely stable but isn't useable as I need to record at 720p for compatibility issues.

I have tried resetting the camera which changed nothing.

The firmware is 1.1 according to the camera.

I'm currently using a 16gb transcend class 6 card that came with a camera - sandisk card on order

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

• @11Nctech Your camera has probably been hacked and now the class 6 cards are too slow for the camera. That would be my guess.

• How does that work if I can record for 15 minutes until the card is full at ISO 160 in any mode, also is there a simple way to know for sure if my cameras been hacked before?

Edit Just installed no adverse effect hack & no issues recording now, I'l play with increasing settings when I be a better memory card.

Thanks guys

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions