Personal View site logo
Beginners: Basic hacks questions
  • 1012 Replies sorted by
  • @yrb can you describe what you mean by very cold conditions (like Toronto cold, or Winnipeg cold ;-). Gotta do some shooting this winter so would be good to know parameters if this is indeed a weather related problem. How long were you shooting for? Did you take any steps to gradually acclimatize the camera or did you go directly from room temp to outdoors? Thanks for any additional info you can provide.

• It was Montréal cold which for this week was pretty cold! But not extreme or anything, like -20 or so? I was out for about 45 mins or so with camera in bag, then about 20 minutes shooting and noticed the cam seemed to acting strange as soon as I started shooting, which was stills at the beginning then video. I took no steps to acclimatize the cam.

The weird thing is the problem persisting after having been indoors overnight... Worrisome!

• The LCD on my GH1 exhibits the same ghosting. It’s fairly sporadic, though. I don’t notice it all the time. The actual recorded footage is unaffected.

I don’t believe it’s temperature related, as I notice it even when the camera has been indoors for many hours. Actually, I’ve always treated it as a design deficiency of the LCD and never paid too much attention to it.

• Hi, I am wondering if anyone has come up with a satisfactory work flow for shooting 720p footage (for slomo) on the GH2 while using a monitor on the HDMI out to pull focus. I believe the HDMI out and recording still default to 1080i when a monitor is connected and/or recording is initiated. If that is still true, can anyone suggest how to work around this most efficiently to use an external monitor to pull focus. Is it simply a matter of turning off the monitor before dropping into recording? Thanks for the thoughts here! Cheers, David

• "I didn't wanted to make a new topic, but iam really confused. There are so many hacks on personal-view and i really dont know which one should i use. I need 50mbps hack (class 6 cards) so iam asking...which one is the best? Could you please share some links and experiences?

I am not pixel peeper, but i want best image i can get with class 6 card (a lot better thank stock fw).

Panasonic GH2 1080 24p 720 60p

Thank you very much "

• Couple of questions in regards to hacks:

1. Is there a patch vault?
    2. I'm assuming you can only have 1 hack installed on the gh2 at once.
    3. Assuming 2 is a yes, whats the most popular slowmotion hack? i.e for 720p 60
    4. Driftwoods Quantum is the best intra frame hack, but is in beta, so I should stick with reaquintince (this being for maximum resolution) (though after reading through teh whole quantum thread i'm assuming I can pretty safely use the 1080p24, side of things from that patch)
    5. People using FCP to edit, are they re encoding to pro res 422(hq)?

Cheers!

• http://www.personal-view.com/faqs

@aticam

Any reason why you want specifically G2? As I see no reason in it.

• @aticam

Still don't understand. GH1, GF2 or better, GH2 can be got on ebay.

• @aticam

I already told you to look at ebay. All latest G2 are unhackable anyway.

• @aticam It is not a place for this discussion. I already told you all I think.

• i am using gh2 hacked using sandisk 64gb 95m/s ex pro card. using kit lens 14-124 mm. this short film will be converted to motion film 35mm for theatrical release in middle east.its about animal welfare and will be a news reel before commercial film pp. I am planning to start next week. which is the best patch to use.

i need a the best color and picture quality out of my gh2. i am speculating in between quantum v5 to quantum v9 driftwood. but , if anything which can do better and stable. please suggest me one.

thank you!

• one of my friend suggest me quantum v9b for my music video shoot out. but i am afraid to patch with this experimental one. will it be stable so long? any over heat or any worst problem experienced by users before?? fiends please do suggest me the best for longer and stable run. but with a superb quality. i need something which is never compromised in 1080 24p mode ;)

• Problems with spanning files: The clip is aprox 28 minutes long, spannned perfectly in camera on CBrandins 44Mbps Patch, can watch it with MPlayerX in whole length, but when it comes to transcoding with ClipWrap or Log and Transfer (FCP) it would only recognize the famous 4.29GB which is aprox 7 minutes long and ignores the rest of the take. Also when I get "info" through "command - i", it says, the clip is only 4.29GB big (should be around 16GB) When I import the clip into Adobe Premiere it shows the whole length. Any suggestions apart from using Premiere? I still prefer FCP.

• Dear Vitaliy,

Am I not searching properly, or isn't there any "official GH2 hack decelopment" topic? I of course would like to use the 25p firmware combined with 44MB p/s. I check your site every day but don't know in which topic to search for the developments in this subject!

Thanks for your efforts,

David.

• @Fearseeker: The following threads are where VK is posting developments related to updating his hack to work with the GH2 v1.1 firmware. The latest announcement he made is that he "most probably" will have something out the first week of February. My understanding is that the new PTools will allow all the old patches to be installed on the v1.1 firmware base, and will also unlock some new settings for the patch-makers to fiddle with to potentially improve quality even further. My guess is that there will need to be some testing/experimentation needed to port any given 24p settings (like cbrandin's 44Mbps patch) to 25p, but I'm sure that the community will pounce on this sort of project immediately after PTools is released.

As eager as we all are, there's no real point in nagging VK to hurry it along or pestering him for daily updates. He's certainly working on it as much as his time and other obligations permit, and will release it as soon as it's ready.

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1656/gh2-v1.1-new-firmware-with-25p-discussion-topic#Item_583

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/50/official-gh2-stalin-hack-development-topic#Item_780

• @KeithLommel,

Thanks for the links!

• I have a couple questions I haven't been able to find definitive answers to. Hopefully someone here knows! I was asked to move the question to this forum so hopefully this is the right way to do it.

Are there any hacks out there for the GH2 that include the ability to shoot 1080p at 60 fps?

Do any/all GH2 hacks include 1080p at 30fps? Could you point me to a higher bitrate hack that does include 30p? I notice a lot of the hacks say they allow 24p, but it's very important to me to be able to shoot 30p.

• Are there any hacks out there for the GH2 that include the ability to shoot 1080p at 60 fps?

No, it is a sensor thing.

Do any/all GH2 hacks include 1080p at 30fps? Could you point me to a higher bitrate hack that does include 30p? I notice a lot of the hacks say they allow 24p, but it's very important to me to be able to shoot 30p.

Old 1.0E firmware can shoot 1080p30 without sound already. 1.11 can do it with sound. But new PTool is not ready yet.

• Thank you very much!

• Hi all, i only got two questions. I am currently using the sanity v3.1 patch with my GH2. Is that patch the most adapted for motion ? I use my dslr to record surfing people and waves... Then which movie mode will be the most adapted ? avchd or mov ? Thanks for you replies and comments guys

• @taikwanjo: On 1.0 firmware, using the variable speed mode at 80% will give you 30p, but without sound. This works with many (but not all) of the patches. Patch developers often note whether their patch works with 80% mode, ETC mode, etc. But it's always a good idea to test it yourself on your particular setup.

• Some newcomers are experiencing problems updating firmwares on their new GH2 with some of the new extreme cards. Please try other cards if you experience an inability to flash before suggesting its a new GH2 fault.

• Here's a newb question thats proabably been answered before. Is there a hack setting that will let you shoot faster than 60 to do more pronounced slow motion? Anyone have a tutorial to get the best effect in post with optical flow?

• @Chaos123x: Nope, 720p60 is the fastest mode with or without hack. In 1080p, fastest progressive framerate is 30p (using 80% variable speed setting on one of the 1.0 patches that supports it or using HBR mode on the 1.1 firmware).

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions