Personal View site logo
Panasonic GH6, final m43 camera, again with bad AF
  • 402 Replies sorted by
  • @Dark_Blue

and from that ISO test in the video it looks like any improvement is more imaginary than real.

There is a lot of 2D and 3D noise reduction going on in basically all cameras these days. Even on RAW photo files it seems.

This can perhaps better bee seen in even worse gear in low light, like smart phones and not to mention the GoPro.

There was a guy which used his GoPro for some sort of urban parkour activities in the night. While the Hero3 and Hero4 would give actual ISO noise grain during filming those activities with the GoPros, as he upgraded to the newer models i.e. Hero5, Hero6, etc he found them unusable during his activities. Real ISO noise grain was replaced by a mushy degraded canvas due to the newer cameras 3D noise reduction algorithms. Basically ISO noise grain is replaced with an oil painting like image with no real detail. And you can't turn this 3D noise processing of.

• Panasonic also ditched the possibility of a battery grip. Which is strange these days as vertical video for social media is basically a thing. And the grip could be really beneficiall for such a shooting style.

So it's better to call this a cinecentric camera which is intended for that cage.

bottom.png
    700 x 399 - 495K
  • I think I like the OM-1 better as a hybrid camera. GH6, Gh5 II high ISO seem about the same.

• What's weird about the battery grip is that they make so much money on that plastic box and all the batteries, I'm wondering if they are going to offer something like the Sony has which is a dummy battery and a set of batteries on the other end, which is is better for temperature.

• @ghkqn

Exactly my thoughts!

• So boring guys! Every time a new camera comes out it's always the same stories. Final judgments on everything. Reading the forums it seems that the human race becomes extinct with every new camera model.

Who complains about the autofocus Who complains about the sensor Who complains about ND filters

Same exact complaints when the GH3 GH4 came out and also the GH5 which I think is the luckiest camera of the entire GH series and it is still top after 5 years. Make peace with your brain or better yet: get a life.

• @LongJohnSilver "So boring guys!"

No offense, but if you are so bored, why take the time to read and respond to our discussions?

sa19417.jpg
    679 x 889 - 116K
  • @LongJohnSilver

I only want the perfect camera. For USD2500,- ;-)

274236443_10159430759793267_4147375339411964654_n.jpg
    343 x 69 - 6K
  • Comparison Video of photos GH6 vs. System OM1

Why can’t I copy a youtube link in here?

Go to youtube and search for this:

Panasonic Lumix GH6 vs OM System OM-1 | NIGHT MODE Camera Test

Panasonic Lumix GH6 vs Panasonic Lumix GH5 II Camera Test

Panasonic Lumix GH6 vs OM System OM-1 Camera Test Comparison

• The System OM1pics look better to me from this video.

• @tommyboy @aked - might be totally bogus.

There are pictures form both nordic/european climate as well as tropical climates - which this unkown influencer had the pleasure of travel to with both GH6 and OM-1. I have not seen any combined Panasonic and Olympus ambassadors. So might be from a more serious photographic magazine of course, but something smell fishy. I don't buy that.

• That video is total BS. Not even a good job faking it.

• @EspenB I already feared that. Thanks for the info.

• @LongJohnSIlver I don't go out much so I don't complain about nd filters.
    I manual focus.
    No idea what sensor is inside and don't care :)
    But I do like the 8K A1

• "If Panasonic had implemented phase detect AF we would not have been talking about Olympus."

That's the sadest fact ever.

• M43 price rumour:

GH6 US price leaked? $2,899???

(UPDATE: I have been told this is Canadian Dollar and not US dollar!)

They say "body", but sounds more reasonable with the 12-60 mm kit lens I would say. We just have to wait for correct pricing. USD2900 is insane, then again the YouTubers will not be getting this because of the DFD AF. It's for "cinematic" users all around.

Leaked press text from retailer:

The Panasonic LUMIX GH6 is designed to meet and exceed the needs of content creators. The effective pixel count has been increased by more than 20%, the new 25.2-megapixel Live MOS Sensor boasts high-resolution, high-speed signal readout and wide dynamic range. The new Venus Engine has also been upgraded with advanced image processing technologies to render high resolution images with low noise quality and rich color reproduction, which is a hallmark of LUMIX cameras.

The LUMIX GH6 contains V-Log/V-Gamut for the first time in LUMIX G Micro Four Thirds cameras and provides 12+ stops, and even 13+ stops, of wide dynamic range using Dynamic Range Boost mode. 43

The new LUMIX GH6 has again evolved to produce 4:2:2 10-bit C4K 60p unlimited video recording time, 4:2:0 10-bit 4K120p, 4:2:2 10bit FHD 240p HFR (High Frame Rate) and FHD maximum 300fps VFR (Variable Frame Rate) to reproduce dynamic motion of the subject. In addition to 4:2:0 10-bit 5.7K 60p, 4:2:0 10-bit 5.8K 30p anamorphic 4:3 video can be recorded utilizing the full area of the sensor. It’s now possible to display de-squeezed anamorphic footage on the monitor in real-time. 5.7K 30p video recording is available in Apple ProRes 422 HQ for the first time in LUMIX cameras, which enables non-linear editing without transcoding. Extended recording time is made possible with LUMIX’s heat management technology.

Boasting 7.5 stops of powerful image stabilization with its Dual I.S.2 43rumors for agile handheld shooting, the LUMIX GH6 has adopted a new super high-precision 5-axis gyro sensor with a new algorithm to achieve 7.5 stops of Body I.S. and Dual I.S.2*5. It also offers a wide variety of recording formats, resolutions and framerates to choose from – depending on the purpose.

Features:

• 25.2-megapixel Live MOS Sensor without LPF (Low-pass Filter)
    • 5.7K 60p Video, 10-Bit Sampling
    • UHD 4K 120p with 10-Bit HFR
    • Venus Engine high-speed processor
    • V-Log/V-Gamut
    • Photo Sensitivity: ISO 50(extended)-25600
    • Video Sensitivity: ISO 50(extended)-12800
    • Memory Type: CFexpress Type B card
    • 3.0-inch free-angle touch-control monitor
  • This iteration in the GH line interests me, but at $2500 or more I'd rather buy a Blackmagic 6k pro for the same $.

• @firstbase

If it's CDN 2900 it's more like USD 2300.

• This was a strange video from the DP Review team.

Basically comparing the OM-1 to the GH6 before the GH6 review is coming out in a couple of days.

Clearly they favours the new 25 MP sensor on the GH6. And the codecs and bitrates.

Is Panasonic releasing a power zoom cine/video lens to go with the GH6? (Like they suggest that OM System should do?)

• Forget even a power zoom. How about a par focal zoom lens? Most of the m43 zoom lenses are terrible at keeping focus.

• @markr041 Yup parfocal agree totally. It's really bad on some of my Sony lenses, too.