Personal View site logo
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • @DMZ

An external mike does not change the fact, there are some automatics in the audiopath which can not be turned off. There is an automatic gain control and a noisegate. The manual audio is nothing else like an offset. This is crap, Samsung! All we can do is using an external recorder or hoping that samsung will fix this. In my case I don't want to use an extra device.

• @Brother, @Angry_C: "I have no idea why others have not reported this issue, seems very odd. Maybe the majority of the buyers doesn't even know/care that it's an issue..." -> related to in-camera sound recording

Possibly, but there are also those who have already learned that using an in-camera recording is as good as using the built-in flash to substitute for proper lightning. At least I am in this group and therefore I did not even think to test it on the NX1.

Let's put it in perspective:

If you are unhappy with the NX1 sound features, spend some reading, or YouTube watching, and learn how to get a great sound for your style of shooting. You will learn very quickly that a microphone placement is the most important element of good sound, and that an on-camera mike, even a shotgun, is really not a good idea if you care for sound quality (they make shotgun mikes for DSLRs because they sell well, not because it is a way to go). Perhaps then, you will be ready to embrace better setups for your needs, despite of it being more complicated and more expensive. You do not need to spend much - the priority for good sound is 1. mike placement, 2. mike quality (you will not need anything better than a mid range quality, and even the cheap ones will work decently with proper placement), and 3. recording device quality (Tascam or Zoom products may be all you need; Sound Devices if you aim for pro-results). Even the cheapest setup, like Zoom H1 with $30 lavalier, will be superior to the built-in recording on any DLSR/mirrorless in NX1 price range. And for synchronizing in post? Just let your talent clap her/his hands (... poormans slate/time code).

Having said that, there definitely are (emergency) situations where the in-camera sound recording is useful (or the only available option at that time). I am very hopeful that Samsung will improve it as they did with the other features. In half a year, NX1 will be an excellent, mature product. The things that cannot be changed are already excellent, and Samsung is listening to us and appears to be eager to improve what can be done with firmware.

• Some initial observations:

-Adore the 2.35:1 crop guides, I just leave them on permanently.

-The skin tones are fantastic.

-Very fast boot time, comparable to a DSLR. 1 seconds from camera on to recording/photo taking. Love this.

-Rolling Shutter seems no worse than A7s in 4K, and camera weight helps this issue.

-Rolling shutter in 1080p mode is RIDICULOUSLY good, I mean to the point of being invisible for normal shooting. If you shoot primarily 1080p I would take a serious look at this camera. There is a tiny bit moire in this mode, but far less than my D800, very usable. Will be taking a closer look at this because it seems nobody is mentioning it!

-4K Video doesn't seem to drain the battery fast, though need to test this more to be sure.

-Viewfinder is excellent when recording video. Surprisingly, its a little less usable in stills mode, sacrificing to much detail for my taste for a quicker response time.

-Comfortable grip and ergonomics, but may not be for those with large hands. Perfect for me.

-I Transcode the files to H264 using some custom settings with handbrake for editing, seems to retain detail very well and 4K edits fine in Premiere. Store the original files alongside because they are so small.

-Image will not switch from viewfinder to rear display while recording or in video standby mode.

-Digital punch in is excellent, but wish I could map it to the AF-ON button, hitting it on the OK button loosens my grip.

-Adapted Canon FD mount lenses balance very well.

Will post a full review when I can with footage.

• racer5, I'm using an old Pentax lens on my NX1 and the focus zoom and peaking is available via pressing the OK button.

• @Angry_C I have no idea why others have not reported this issue, seems very odd. Maybe the majority of the buyers doesn't even know/care that it's an issue, you don't need total manual control of the audio when your main use of the camera is filming your cat in your backyard :) Well, lets just hope for a fix.

• Figured out Nikon F adapter and NX1. Nikon G to NX adapter still wouldn't take to the lens though. Thanks guys.

• @ quota. I just got my camera today and have been using the Fotga Nikon F to NX adapter which has been working flawlessly in the limited hours I've had it. Cheap, but well made metal with no play in the camera mount or lens.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JFMRQS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

personalview.jpg
    1280 x 536 - 154K
  • I could only get a "Check The Lens" message when I tried Samsung NX adapters on the NX1.

I think you better read manual for NX1 :-) Usual for each camera you need to set menu option so it won't tell you such things.

• Is everybody using third party lens adapters/NX1s that are modified? I could only get a "Check The Lens" message when I tried Samsung NX adapters on the NX1. A couple adapters were a complete no-go as they couldn't even attach to the lens. Any good options for Canon or Nikon F/G mount?

• @Brother

I wonder why the other owners do not say something about the poor audio. If samsung is able to deactivate the noisegate and automatic gain control, I will be very happy. But until this happens, the audiorecording is unusable.

• I'm really in love with the video quality of this camera. What i do not like is the fact that some sort of auto gain control with noticeable noise in the audio is present. The only other person iv'e read that has this problem is @Angry_C I called Samsung and they said it was a hardware issue and got my camera replaced with a brand new one. Didn't help. I'm hoping this will be fixed in a future firmware.

• @AKED

Very nice stills, thanks for sharing. Wich autofocus selection do you prefer?

• @AKED Thanks for the on-going review. Nice photos!

• I have been using the camera for a little while on and off now. One has to be careful with the autofocus selection. When one is right, the the focus is very good and precise though. And the camera and lens can be very sharp. When shooting a leave with snow to the dark background, the snow is blown out in brightness. Too much contrast seemingly. With a less hard contrast it looked better.

The burst is great and very fast. A pleasure to use.

From the video side I line how easy it is to get to the slow motin. Much better as in the GH4, whrete you have to change modes, switch it on and off and then look for the right setting that can do the different framerates. A little annoying.

I do not like that the h.265 makes it hard to use them, so one has to transcode them always. But I am sure this problem will be solved in the near future, when h.265 will become more popular.

Here a few pictures I have takes with it. Straight out od the camera, ony resized and slightly sharpened them after resizing to publish them here.

SAM_k-0285.jpg
    800 x 533 - 194K
    SAM_k-0268.jpg
    800 x 533 - 366K
    SAM_k-0279.jpg
    800 x 534 - 242K
    SAM_k-0326.jpg
    800 x 533 - 216K
    SAM_-k0351.jpg
    800 x 533 - 210K
    SAM_k-0118.jpg
    800 x 533 - 197K
  • Samsung sells a crapload of cameras all around the world. But not for pros

Small secret information - Nikon and Canon also sell more than 98% if their cameras to amateurs.

• another shitty uninformed review of the nx1. http://gizmodo.com/samsung-nx1-review-a-mirrorless-camera-packing-heat-bu-1682569994

Samsung sells a crapload of cameras all around the world. But not for pros. At $1500, the new NX1 is the first Samsung cam packing enough power to be taken seriously by photography enthusiasts. It shoots 4K video and fires off super fast 15 frame-per-second bursts. It's a good camera... but maybe not good enough. SNIP

• I have a question for fellow NX1 owners: Is it possible to get the exact same magnify/peaking behavior via the "Ok" button that is possible when using a manual lens? It seems when a Samsung lens is attached this only gets triggered with a focus turn, and is timed to go away. I would like manual lens behavior exactly with an OIS lens attached.

• @TwitHerb: I have no idea of your experience, whether you are comparing NX1 to other cameras or are new to video making, so I can only say that in general all HD cameras have propensity for "strobbing," "judder," and so. Old standard resolution camcorders had not much problems with that but pretty much all DSLR/mirrorless cameras judder under certain conditions; some are more sensitive to it than others but it is always concern, as it is with film cameras.

I suggest you google this issue - several years ago, when HD DSLR's came out, it was a hotly discussed topic on many forums and there are good articles out there explaining why is it happening and solutions that mitigate this, to a degree. The causes are multiple and so the solutions.

For best results, it is useful to get a sufficient understating of the complexities.

The very short answer is: NX1 behaves pretty much the same as other competing cameras in this aspect.

If someone made a proper comparison with GH4, a7S, or other cameras, please let us know.

• I really want to love this camera. But I'm seeing strobing in a lot of footage, people's movements look a little staccato / jerky. Maybe it's the shutter in that particular footage, or playback on my machine.

Anyone else seeing it?

• 120 fps mode with surfer. Can't wait to see what this looks like with the higher bitrate option.

• Where the branches and the sky meet looks a little weird with the lut, otherwise looks nice!

• That looks pretty flat, y'all.

• Manual Also Describes updated video functions:

Looks like the flattest possible image would be attained by setting it to Gamma DR, then hitting [disp] to drop the contrast and sharpness to minimum levels!

gammasettings.jpg
    1258 x 392 - 201K
  • Nevermind! Found confirmation in the manual! :)

NX1.jpg
    462 x 486 - 112K